It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US imposes sanctions on Syria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The United States' House of Representatives has passed legislation to impose sanctions on Syria for alleged ties to terrorist groups and attempts to obtain nuclear, biological and chemical weapons.

www.abc.net.au...

First step before military intervention? Could be...

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This sad..

Next target has been chosed..

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I can't see why america would go after Syria

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Looks like Syria is going to get it. "Allegedly"
Iran next?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
To the above three:
While your reading PNAC...how about also visit globalsecurities and NTI and a few others reputable nation sources and read up on little ole', couldn't beat themselves out a wet paper bag, Syria, along with their connections to terrorism, chemical and biological programs, etc........read on good ole' Bashir....

Syria?.....who dat?

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
And Syria even voted in favor of the latest UN resolution.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:07 PM
link   
We should take it a step further and nuke that haven of terrorists and baath party cowards.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Did anybody actually even doubt we would move towards Syria and Iran? Please, I knew we were going there when the NK ship was seized with missles and Syria claimed ownership.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiousone
Did anybody actually even doubt we would move towards Syria and Iran? Please, I knew we were going there when the NK ship was seized with missles and Syria claimed ownership.

Those SCUDs were going to YEMEN..

Check your facts please!

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   
oops, silly me, thanks for the correction.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I gove up. How much longer can we tolerate the current administration going off half cocked and blowing away whoever? Syria? No, Im not surprised, tho i was hoping it was too obvious, and they would try and surprise us. But, it seems Bush is nothing else but predictable. Yes, after Syria, Iran, and we havent even finished the Fraud in Iraq.

yes, world war 3 commeth. #ing Bush. We still must tolerate him another year? Why the # hasnt anyone started recalling him? he needs to eb impeached!

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The US already has sanctions imposed against a multitude of countries and it hasn't declared war on them, so it is far too early to speak of war on Syria.

But, here yet again, the American trumpet of self importance is sounded. The US hardly imports anything to Syria. The sanctions will not hurt Syria as badly as some here are playing up.

It's political chest-beating. Nothing more.

The sanctions could include:

Restricting US exports and business investment.

Downgrading American diplomatic representation

Imposing travel restrictions on Syrian diplomats in the United States

Freezing Syria's assets in the United States

Restricting overfly rights for Syrian aircraft inside US airspace

Hardly hard hitting when the Syrians do minimal business with the US anyway.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I can't see why america would go after Syria

Uhm... one word. OIL.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Syria has virtually NO oil. It's all about strategic positioning and politics.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Not only is Syria a minor player in the oil league but what it did have has been drilled out by over 50%.
Oil IS Syria's main export, but it is reckoned that most of what it has been exporting in the last 10 years has been illegally transferred from Iraq and then sold on.

The situation in Iraq will hit Syria far harder than any US sanctions.

www.nationmaster.com...&id=MID

(Incidentally, this is an excellent site. You can gather statistics and manage graphs to get a clearer picture about a wealth of information.)

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Its a simple matter: ISRAEL.

Syria is an enemy of israel, thus, the US being a good attack dog, will take them out.

We werent even done in Iraq and iosrael was jumping up and down screaming" get syria now!".

Oil is minor.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Gotta agree with Skadi..........Israel! Although I believe it also goes abit deeper...control of the mideast.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Good! I thought Syria was more of a threat than Iraq to begin with!!! Those farging bastadges!!

top topics

join