It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I cant even get a sub at subway because they dont speak english!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by chisslerNot everybody has the luxury of picking and choosing when and where they work. Some people have to make alot of sacrifices in order to pay the bills and feed their family.

So actually its not as simple as that.

It would be simple if people would show alittle patience and not always be in such a hurry to get nowhere. Our world today is always in the fast lane, nobody ever takes the moment to stop and have a look around.

I live in an area of about 25,000 and when we walk down the street we say hello to one another, complete strangers acknowledge each other. When I lived in major cities I felt so ignorant for walking passed somebody and not saying hello. And when I did say Hello I was given a look that sent chills down my spine.

When I'm not on duty I live in a town with 3500 inhabitants, we also greet eachother even though we dont know eachother but that has nothing at all to do with the fact that when I go into a FAST FOOD joint I want my food to arrive in a short amount of time. I'm not interested in teaching anyone to speak the language they should be required to learn the moment they came here.
It's funny how it is ok to hang out higher profiled persons like movie stars or politicians for their mistaked but not these people because that makes you a racist. Learn the language or go home.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by both_parties_suck
My biggest problem with all of the spanish speaking latins I see, are usually talking # about you in spanish. I have worked at several restaurants while in college and I pretty much know how to say anything that is crude and foul in spanish. So often when I'm with my wife and we walk past ANY group of mexican males (I don't care call me a racist if you want but I can understand them) they are talking very crudely about having sex with my wife and about her various body parts. This has led to a few different confrontations because I let em know what I think in spanish. This has proved to not be the wisest choice to make because I actually got in a fight that I did not want to be in. What I am saying is that it is important to be tolerant of all types of people. But let's not forget, that most people from mexico think you are a piece of sh*t. I have a hard time defending people who would probably not do the same for me if roles were reversed and I were in Mexico talking about them and their wives LOUDLY in english.

Yeah that happens, and not just with Spanish speaking people. Ever been in a nail shop? I've been in there getting my nails done, and the Asian ladies would obviously be talking about me and laughing.

There are jerks in every culture. Still it's a bit off topic.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You have had some experience in your day with spanish speaking men who have spoken in a way that is deffinately insulting. But the stereotype your wiping the whole group with is uncalled for. Every race, country, ethnic group, whatever has its bad apples.

I find it hard to believe to think that spanish speaking man is constantly doing what you experienced. I hope nobody ever has to go through what you and your wife has been through, but its still not enough to say that everyone does it.

Regardless if its blacks, whites, spanish, german or anything else for that matter. You will run into a crowd in ever corner of the world who act in a way nobody should have to see.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth

When I'm not on duty I live in a town with 3500 inhabitants, we also greet eachother even though we dont know eachother but that has nothing at all to do with the fact that when I go into a FAST FOOD joint I want my food to arrive in a short amount of time. I'm not interested in teaching anyone to speak the language they should be required to learn the moment they came here.
It's funny how it is ok to hang out higher profiled persons like movie stars or politicians for their mistaked but not these people because that makes you a racist. Learn the language or go home.

No one can learn English overnight, but of course they are going to need some sort of income while they learn. So like I said, at a fast food place, the employer can put them in the back where they would NOT have to deal with the customer until they have a better grasp at the language.

Plus of course any man is going to take any job they can get when they are greatly in need. So why is the employer hiring the guy and putting him up front knowing very well the man doesnt speak English? Isn't it the employers responsibility to keep his business running smoothly?

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I think it's pretty obvious that if you work in any public service industry in any country, the most basic skill you should have should be a conversational command of that country's language.

When I lived in the UK my local fast food restaurant (one of a well known international chain) employed foreign staff whose English was so bad that frequently the Manager had to interpret my order for them. Aside from being a stupendous state of affairs, it often caused delays if the Manger was busy or elsewhere. As if that wasn't bad enough there seemed to be a 45% chance that when the order arrived it would be wrong. Over a two week period I was given 5 wrong orders, and being take-away, didn't notice until I got back to work. That's unacceptable service in any service industry, and in my situation it was purely down to the staff not being able to speak English in England.

They lost my custom because of that third-rate service, though I did give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was a temporary situation forced by staff absence or something. However, I went back a couple of times over the following year, and the situation was exactly the same on both occasions.

Foreign nationals who can't speak a country's language should not be employed in public service positions. Foreigh nationals who arrive in a country should educate themselves as to the language of that country before seeking work in public service positions. It's the fault and responsibilty of both the companies and individuals concerned that people are being employed who don't possess that most basic public service skill, the ability to speak the country's native language. In Europe the government also has to carry the blame, as it's their non-descrimination laws which mean firms can no longer be selective about who is acceptable for any position. You can't specify that you need English speakers for a job, as that is now considered a 'racist' stance to take.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Subway is normally individually owned and is not part of a massive corporation. Yes the logo and the commercials and corporate branding lead to the uniformity of the chain, but Subway is known selling franchising rights to individuals interested in owning their own business. Just so it won't be confused that anyone other than individual managers are hiring whoever is being hired.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Ive had something like this happen to me. I worked at a pizza place and was trained by a mexican. He didnt speak english. I didnt know wtf i was doing. Besides the basics, i mean making pizzas isnt that hard. I didnt know where anything was and everything I needed became a new adventure in its own. Anyways after 2 weeks of wandering around going where they point and being lost, I decided to walk out. No big deal, not an important job I was thinking and left. About a month later, the mexican guy that trained me, happen to be at the mall same time as me. I said hi cause I had no hard feelings. He turns to me and say "Hey, How are you doing, havent seen you in a little bit." I could fully understand him. Conclusion, some mexicans pretend they dont know english. I dont know the motives, but im sure its true.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
What I was responding too is removed.

This is not a thread to post racist slurs and expect to get away with it

This thread has been created due to a member who grew frustrated and stormed out of a business because he felt the service was inadequate. The coin has been tossed back and forth and we have been talking whether or not it has been right or wrong.

Nothing here has been said about any ethnic group directly, everything in this thread is discussing franchises and who they have working for them.

If your new to the thread, please read what has already been discussed and do not post any racist comments. Your only going to get yourself in trouble and nobody will beable to read what you said anyways.

Its a shame some of the stuff that has been discussed in this thread, its turning into a black spot for ATS.

[edit on 17-4-2006 by chissler]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This thread is quickly dissolving into a pool of unnecessary remarks, and as such I am locking it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join