It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Rumsfeld leaves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think we have all heard the news of 6 top retired generals ask Secretary of Defence, Ronald Rumsfeld to resign, due to its inability to listen to them. One of the main objectives of Rumsfeld in office was to reform the armed forces into a lighter, faster combat force.

If he indeed leaves, what air force programs would you think ill suffer or gain a boost?

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If he indeed leaves, what air force programs would you think ill suffer or gain a boost?

that depends on who replaces him.

justin

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
As noted above, It depends on who gets the slot.

A big chunk of the USAF's purchases are or will be funded through at least FY2009 (I think) so if there is any impact it may be in numbers procured down the road IMHO.

The systems that will be under fire for some time IMHO is the EC-10, THAAD, and ballistic missile defence. The ABL could go at any time as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I think it is obvious that Rumsfeld is one of the smartest people in washington.
The guy comes across as brilliant when he speaks. It is sad that he is under such scrutiny when other guys up the chain from him are much less qualified than he is and catch less hell. If he does step down, I think very few changes will be made in the plans to streamline the military - as they have been in effect before him and will most likely continue after him.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
History includes;

Sec Def under Gerald Ford, 1975-77, now Bush jr.
Serving 4 Presidential admin, held number of government positions:
When Ford appointed him SD, Rumsfeild became the youngest in US history to serve that role.

Navy aviator 3 yrs, in 1962, elected to house of Representives, 64, 66, 68.
Resigned in 69 to serve Nixon, 1973 became US Ambassador to NATO, Special Envoy to Mid East for Reagan.

In the Research Forum, this sort of thing is called the "revolving door", and it has it's own project.
Yes it does.

Even though it has been dead for years...

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantrl78
I think it is obvious that Rumsfeld is one of the smartest people in washington.
The guy comes across as brilliant when he speaks. It is sad that he is under such scrutiny when other guys up the chain from him are much less qualified than he is and catch less hell.

That could be his problem, he is smart, but not smart enough to know his limits.

No matter how good he is, his opinion is comparatively ill-informed compared to the acutal professionals, if he has been ignoring them, he should go.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I agree with some of your points.
But there is no such thing as a democratic military.
What happens when soldiers want to vote on when and if they have to drop.
It just doesn't work. If someone is to be held responsible for US policy - it should be his boss and congress.
Nobody else is to blame for the fouled up war in iraq.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
For those that were in the prime of the generation that experienced Robert McNamara during Vietnam - I would like your opinion, how does Donald Rumsfield compare to him?

top topics

join