It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Bird, Argentina, 1980

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Anyone seen this image before. Think it was a hoax? A giant crow??

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Sorry, I can't see an image.

Is this it?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I think Libra's referring to this one:

www.unexplained-mysteries.com... 50

I'm sure it's been proven a hoax... I'll get back to ya...

Edit: That's the one I have as well, Koka... Fastest fingers first!

[edit on 13-4-2006 by Gemwolf]

Edit 2:

The t-bird in the photo is a two-dimensional wooden cutout representing the extinct teratorn (Argentavis Magnificens), which was on display at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles at the time the picture was taken.

Source

No information on the Museum's official site... www.nhm.org...

This document gives a short history on the Museum and parts of a skeleton it displayed. (Skeleton of Argentavis Magnificens). It was in fact in 1980 that this bird species was discovered, thus the picture is from 1980 but shows a wooden model of the bird, and no actual bird. The scary part remains that there was actually a bird that size!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Big Bird

Yep Gemwolf that;s the one. Heheheh....

[edit on 13-4-2006 by librasleep]

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Could it have been a pterodactyl skeleton?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It's not a hoax. It's an actuall bird that used to exist (or still does if you believe in thunderbirds). I don't think it could be pterydactil bones because they've already identified ptery bones before and wouldn't they say "hey these are ptery bones"?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I saw this on Animal X, that show that was on for a while. They said that the bones could be from a California Condor. One of the largest birds in the US. Here is some information on the California Condor...

audubon2.org...

This explains everything, or most things about the Condor. If you take a look at this picture. it looks very much like that one you posted.

www.ventanaws.org...

and this one too

funkman.org...

I am pretty sure that the bones are from one very large California Condor. ^_o

Or..they could be from the ledgendary Thunder Bird. From Native American Mythology. Who knows. I have had a very clear dream about the Thunder Bird.. When I looked it up, it said that anyone who dreams of the Thunderbird is destined to become a Heyoka. I guess I'm a Heyoka then...

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It might be a copy, or not, but the Thunderbird did exist, and it used the winds preceding storms to stay airborne, hence the name thunderbird, because the native americans thought it brought the thunderstorms, not the other way around.
There's an old story telling about native american children being killed by these birds, and how a forest-fire killed many of the birds. But they are coming back now, as far as I hear. They are supposed to have been spotted down in south america again.

A giant crow? Now THAT would have been amazing!

[edit on 14-4-2006 by Christian IX]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This is an image of a mockup of the biggest extinct bird that ever flew Argentavis magnificens taken in Los Angeles County Natural History Museum.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverSurfer

Babe, that question was asked over two years ago...where did you find this ancient thread?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
that is a hoax it is not a real bird

new topics

top topics

join