It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extra Scent-ory Perception...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
*yes...the title IS a pun

Hi Peoples,

Got this idea from another thread...so I thought I'd throw out a question:

Has anyone 'smelt' a spirit before?? Has anyone experienced 'olfactory' indications of a spirits presence??

(I'm aware the medical term would be Olfactory Hallucinations, requiring a course of Anti-Psychotics
)

Like just went *sniff sniff* Ahhh, theres something here??

If so...I'd really love to hear anyones descriptions of the smells they notice accompanied those entities...and if anyone else uses the 'scent' they detect as a gauge of what the entity may be like in 'character/purpose'...or even as an 'early warning device' type of thing...

I know the experience of 'smelling' an entity is not something completely unknown, maybe not even uncommon...I know of a number of people (including myself) that have experienced 'scent' during experiences...which is strange (well, STRANGER when you consider the whole 'wierdness' of entities) in that we detected scent physically, registering it with our body's olfactory system...yet how is this possible with a principally non-physical entity...unless its somehow semi-physical at the time...

...anyway...over to the rest of the class: Thoughts? Comments? Experiences??

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Never have.. but I'm sure if it's possible, I would be able to smell them.. I have a very sensitive sense of smell it seems.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
alien, good question.

Running errands to a historical downtown building has become a regular routine for me. Previously, this business was a couple of miles outside of downtown. Ever since they moved into historical downtown, there's a very strange odor when I re-enter my vehicle after taking care of business. The only description that really fits this smell is that of an old woman's house. I attribute this recurring smell to a ghost. I have no real basis for those thoughts other than the area and the smell. I mentioned this to a lady that works in the building, but she didn't really notice it. I didn't want to elaborate any further for fear of sounding like a fruitcake.
I have read of accounts in which people smelled cigar smoke and other strange odors in haunted areas. I believe this is one way that a spirit manifests itself.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
EWom, cheers for ya reply. I wonder if those who do pick up smells with spirits are actually 'smelling' them in the true physical sense...I'm more inclined to believe its more a 'registering of the olfactory system' without any actual airbourne particles of any spirit being detected. Sort of like some people get feelings, or twinges, that don't have any direct physical cause as such...its just a way they may manifest their 'sensing' of anything around.

Bangin, cheers for ya reply. Yes, I've read a few accounts of people detecting unexplainable smells in certain areas which have been found/assumed to be areas of spirit activity...certainly an interesting phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 04:11 AM
link   
after thinking about it more, perhaps I have smelled a ghost..

this is taken from an old post by me..

I believe there is a ghost in my house.

Well this started a few months ago.

I am a night person.. I love being up at night, when everyone else is asleep.. so thats what I do
Anyway, I usually spend alot of my time on the computer since nothing is open at night.

For about two weeks I would smell cigarette smoke waft through the house. I am very sensative to cigarette smoke, since I am allergic to it.. and have no idea where it was coming from. This happened in the winter btw, so all the doors/windows were shut, so it'd be hard for smoke to waft in from outside. I even checked to see if any neighbors were outside for a smoke. Nobody in the house smokes.. yet I could track the scent of smoke from the downstairs up to the last step to the upstairs where the smell would disappear. This kept happening for about 2 weeks, and I didn't think much of it.

Then one night, shortly after the smoke stopped, while I was getting ready to go to bed, I was headed to the stairs, through the family room, and thought I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye.. paused a bit and looked into the dark. All lights were off, I moved a bit forward. Didn't see anything so kept moving through; halfway into the room I got punched in the face. It was a pretty powerful hit, and knocked me down onto my back. I immediatly thought it was an intruder in my house and ran to the light and flicked it on to try and see. Nothing, nobody. I searched the entire house, and there was nobody. I checked every hiding spot possible.. and still nobody. Every door and window was still locked from the inside. And there is nothing in the house I could walk into that is the right height to hit me in the face, let alone in the middle of the room

Perhaps the cigarette smoke was not smoke, but a ghost?

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I've smelt demons before... they smell of sulfur or rotten eggs.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 05:31 AM
link   
EWom, quite possibly...wicked story of yours by the way, think that would have had me requiring a change of underpants...

TheyWatchYouToo, interesting you should say that. Most accounts (including my own) I've noted of people encountering darker entities tend to (if smell is mentioned) mention that the smell was unpleasant. I've noticed that the smell of certain types of entities gives indications of what type they are.

What I find interesting is that there seems, on some level, be a corrolation between the intensity of aroma and the intensity of the entity...the more pungent the aroma, the more intense the entity.

For instance the ordinary everyday annoying type, the type that are principally just a presence that makes itself known now and then, tend to have a mildly displeasing aroma...like stagnant water mixed with household bleach.

The more intense entities, which have a greater negative effect, tend to have a more displeasing aroma to them...like stale sweat mixed with vinegar. Even more intense entities can sometimes be accompanied by a very nauseating aroma, like...well...basically like opening the lid on something thats been tucked down the back of your fridge for the last 3 years (or is that something only single males can identify with??
)

That said, I wonder if anyone has smelt an entity/spirit that was extremely dark, that seemed to just exude evil...yet DIDN'T actually smell bad at all...rather the aroma was strangely alluring...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I've smelt an evil spirit, like stated previously, sulphur mixed in with something I cant define.

My strangest experience was with my mother. We were discussing her grandmother one day ( my great grandmother) and all of a sudden all we could smell everywhere was lavendar. It was like someone had dropped a bottle of essential oil in the house somewhere. We searched everywhere, couldnt find where the smell came from. We didnt have any lavendar in the house or in the garden , neither did our neighbours.

We asked my grandmother about it a couple of days later , she told us that lavendar was one3 of her mothers favourite flowers. Apparently she would hang bunches of it everywhere for the smell.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
mulberryblueshimmer, thank you for your reply. I have similar experiences. My Grandmother, who passed on many years ago, I believe visits me to give me hope...she has also 'helped' me on numerous occasions with suggestions/warnings...on a number of those occasions I have smelt the perfume she used to where...thats how I know its her.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Alien,

Great subject. Although I have never personally smelt a ghost or entity - I have done a little bit of reading on the subject.

From what Ive heard and as mentioned in this thread before - Demons or 'evil spirits' if you will, do give off the stench of sulfur and brimstone. Negative entities seem to give off negative smells.

Curiously, when people have contact with other more postitive entities the smell is much more positive. From accounts that I have read about, when people claim to see or speak with the Virgin Mary - the area is consumed with the smell of fresh roses.

Along these same lines - In John Keels book 'The mothman prophesies' he talks about an experience he encountered with an invisible force field of fear. The entity (the Mothman) didn't give off a smell quite so much, but rather an unignorable sensation of Fear and Terror when you were in its presence.

Keel speculates that these 'side effects' are presumably caused when these entities cross over to our dimension from where ever they came from.

Interesting stuff...

Jah.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I myself do not remember ever smelling a spirit but I have read about it. I think it is possible and it probably happens a lot.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
there have been 'ghost' cases that people have smelled burning sulfer...which proves my theory that ghosts are demons because hell is made up of burning sulfer.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
I've smelt an evil spirit, like stated previously, sulphur mixed in with something I cant define.

lol...I just noticed this. More proof.

*edit-everyone,do your research.Im sure you will find reported cases of demons and 'ghosts' both having a sulphuric smell involved.*

[Edited on 10-16-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
no i can not say i have ever smelt a spirit befor but i a a member of the brotherhood of light we do alot of works with spirits many of the brothers are gifted but i have never smelled befor when i do i hope the smell is a pleasant one

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Jahyamabushi, interesting thoughts regarding the smell or uneasy emotions being a side effect of a spirits crossing into our realm...like maybe a residual bit of 'home' (the spirits home) comes over with them...

Thank you for your reply...sounds like a book I'm going to have to check out for sure.

Lone_Wolf, cheers for your reply. I think these things do happen alot, but maybe we are conditioned in life to just ignore them as being illogical/non-existant.

theshadowknows, perhaps a bit like sand still being on your shoes after you have gone to the beach...as said above, a residual bit of home...

shadowhart, Brotherhood of Light?? Hmmm...only Brotherhood of Light I know of was a group of radical Priests in old times, who made it their personal mission to cleanse the world of darkness...is this the same group?? Would be very keen to hear more about them...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 02:23 AM
link   
But I don't know if it was a ghost or spirit..My entire room or house filled up with a flowery smell. No kidding, I even posted a thread about it right as it happened a few months ago.

When I was very young, I lived with my grandmother and she wore rose perfume all the time, that's all she wore. Well many years later after she died, I was wakened by the smell of rose perfume. It filled up the entire room I was sleeping in...I believe she was there.
Mags

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Magestica, sounds like a very similar experience I had/have with my own now passed on Grandmother.

This is one of the reasons I simply cannot agree with the standard Christian belief that there are no such thing as ghosts, only spirits...and then they are predominately evil. The belief is that a person passes on, does not 'hang around' or return as such, yet my experiences seem to indicate otherwise. Still, some would say those experiences are NOT with deceased relatives, but spirits/demons posing as such to trick us.

Dunno about that...as the experiences I've had with Nanny have only ever been positive and/or save me from harm.

Peace,
ALIEN

new topics

top topics

join