It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IE problem opening new page

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have IE 5.50.4134 with Update Q891781 on an IBM laptop running Windows ME. My problem involves clicking on links. Not but a week or 2 ago if I clicked on a link in a thread(someones post) here at ATS it opened a new page. Now it does nothing. Some websites when you click a link you go to that page in the already opened IE. Some(like ATS) open a new IE and you have 2 windows open. This is no longer working for me. I would appreciate anyones help in finding a solution(or point me in the right direction). If you could email me that would be the best.
Btw this problem occurs with my email account at yahoo. When I click on insert address' when in compose email I don't get the box with my saved address' like I used to.
Please help.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
You can try this iefix

windowsxp.mvps.org...

I would also suggest that you upgrade to IE 6 rather then 5.5 thats old and outdated.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Good one PieMan.

If the utility will not run, you can manually do the same thing that the utility does.

Since you are having trouble opening links, here is the full path.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

Best of Luck

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Since you are having trouble opening links, here is the full path.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

*Slaps Forehead* Duh I forgot he was having probs. I figured he was on another comp posting this

Have you ever tried this site Makeitso? Kellys Korner Also a great resource for problems. Especially the tweaks section.

Pie

[edit on 8-4-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Oh yes.

Kellys pops up in a lot of my searchs over the years. The site has changed format over the years, for the better. Always a great source of info.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I tried the iefix and kept getting an Active x error. I updated to IE 6 and that didn't help either. I will try the manual method next.

This whole thing has me flummoxed since it worked one day and then not the next. And it only affects links that open in a new window. Links that open in the same window aren't affected. Weird. Also when I click on chat here at ATS nothing happens anymore. And it affects my insert address function at yahoo mail.

Again thanks for the suggestions and will now try the manual method(hope it works for Windows ME).

Course I still got my trusty netscape nav but its a little bit slower than IE(like loading the ATS forums page) but more stable.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It will work, even though you are using cough ME sucks cough.

Also I found a repair method I did not know about for IE6 that should also work for ME.

Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP
>From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
>Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search >Hidden Files and Folders option.
>Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
>In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
>In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
>Click the Search button.
>In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
>Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
>Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.
Reference

I also did not realize that there is a built in tool to Repair IE5

But those are just reference articles for others. The manual repair you are about to perform will work.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
No it didn't cough work. I got the succeeded dialogue box but the problem persists.
I'll try your other manual fix and see what happens.
Thanks.

[edit on 4/9/06 by longhaircowboy]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Bummer!

I hope the other one works!!!

Best of Luck

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
longhaircowboy, have you ever been redirected lately to a different web page than you were trying to open?

I'm thinking browser hijacker, or some sort of virus, or some application has changed your IE settings.

Try to get a hold of chissler, I'm sure he has some advice on how to restore your IE settings.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Try uninstalling Yahoo extras if you may have recently installed it, yahoo companion, or any toolbar that may have gotten installed with this new recent rash of "extras" when you install Flash, Shockwave, Java and other free software.

also check this setting
From IE> Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/ Browsing uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts.

Pie

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
longhaircowboy,

Have you by chance installed a (or changed the options of an existing) pop-up blocker?

Also, if you right click on one of those links, do you still have/can successfully use, the "Open In New Window" option?

Have you tried installing/using Firefox browser, to see if the problem also exists in that?

What I am not seeing in this thread, is if weather your clicking the link gets you nothing, or the page of the link in the same windows as you are in?

Windows ME? People are still use ME? :bash: lol

NN

[edit on 10-4-2006 by NoNik]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the help.
I've tried all the manual fixes, unchecked the reuse windows , did a hijack scan, updated to IE6. Still the problem persists.
Only now when I try I get a windows error report box. Also a w6bar.dll error message.
I checked the registry and there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there.
Guess I'll just have to use the Netscape Nav.
Thanks all.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by longhaircowboy
Thanks to everyone for the help.
I've tried all the manual fixes, unchecked the reuse windows , did a hijack scan, updated to IE6. Still the problem persists.
Only now when I try I get a windows error report box. Also a w6bar.dll error message.
I checked the registry and there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there.
Guess I'll just have to use the Netscape Nav.
Thanks all.

Thats Mywebsearch toolbar..Spyware. What did you use to scan for spyware? What antivirus are you using?

go to www.webroot.com and download a trial of their spysweeper software , install, update and run it and see what you find. Let us know.
If you can't locate the free trial send me a u2u and Ill find you a link to grab it from.

Pie

top topics

join