It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
So, the much vaunted Typhoon has finally taken to the air. Magic.

It has cost £50B thus far, has a far from certain future with the lame duck JSF on the horizon and apparently no more than 300 (max figure) will be ordered.

Given that the Royal Air Force is supposed to be equipped with enough aircraft to fight off an enemy invasion, control the skies over any minor conflict anywhere in the world as backup to or a supplementary force for the USAF, do the RAF have enough aircraft?

Could we, in the dark days of August and September of 1940, have defeated the mighty Luftwaffe with just 300 Spifires and Hurricans?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Could we, in the dark days of August and September of 1940, have defeated the mighty Luftwaffe with just 300 Spifires and Hurricans?

No but then we arent getting attacked by hordes of germans. we are fighting agaisnt smaller air forces that are msot likely equipped with inferior machines.

Good to see the spitfire finally flying.

Justin

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

No but then we arent getting attacked by hordes of germans. we are fighting agaisnt smaller air forces that are msot likely equipped with inferior machines.

Good to see the spitfire finally flying.

Justin

WHO?

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   

That's an unfair question, you have to take into account the quality and quantity of planes in European air forces of today. When one does that they will come to realization that the RAF is the most powerful air force in Europe, so I don't know who you envision invading the UK but baring a few nations the UK will most likely retain control of the skies from any potential adversary.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hopefully I should get to see a demo of it in the next few months (along with lots of other people
) if all goes according to plan. Quite looking forward to it

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
good to see that plane finally released. Provides the Uk with quite a punch.
Im wondering can it thrust vector?????????

[edit on 4-4-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The Typhoon has been flying since 2003 if I recall.

I don’t imagine the UK will be invaded – except by tourists as they come to admire the South Downs or perhaps the Northumberland coast!

Typhoon costs vary depending on the agenda of the writer. The advocates of zero military spend will suggest ridiculous figures because they've nothing else to do.

The National Audit Office cite the forecast cost out-turn to the British taxpayer of Typhoon is £19bn. This is c.£3n over original approval price and five years late. I suppose on that basis the ENTIRE programme could be £50bn, but notthe UK burden.

Compare this with costs and delivery schedules of other major aircraft programmes. Is F22 on-price and on target? Of course not!

Typhoon will be more than capable in dealing with any future opponent.

Cheers

Note Typhoon has been in the RAF since 2003.

[edit on 4/4/2006 by paraphi]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Im wondering can it thrust vector?????????

No it cannot, however it can supercruise at Mach 1.2-1.3, however whether it can do this carrying a full combat load or at all altitudes is uncertain.

What I’m wondering is why this thread hasn't been moved to the Aircraft forum.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   

do the RAF have enough aircraft?

have a look at these links:-

this explains and shows a diagram why the raf (or any airforce) doesn't need as many aircrafts as it did in the past:-

www.raf.mod.uk...
www.raf.mod.uk...

& again about invasion
who in their RIGHT MIND is going to invade a country with nuclear weapons?
who is going to invade us with our navy? - raf (Tornado GR4's, eurofighter, f-35 (5 years).

as said (in the other tread) america is the only country who possibly could, (no other country)!!

but you see when it comes to someone invading an 'established country' the home nation will ALWAYS be faviourtes (as its their home land), bases/troops/equipment/citizens living there etc.

anyone can invade a country like (iraq, alfganistan) because all they can only throw sticks and stones

but in todays world you try to invade a country like (france/uk/russia/china/america) and its just not possible!!

ive always said, no country in the world could ever beat china in a 1to1 conflict (i still say that now).

yet do i think china could invade america? no!

do i think america could invade china? no!

do i think america could invade britain? no! (but they are the only country who could possibly could).

=====

all in all, when you talk about WW2 that was 70 years ago (britain owned 25% of the world back then)
- technology as moved on and invasions are not as easy as you think.

take vietnam for example.

[edit on 4-4-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 01:19 AM
link   
1. Yes, I know the Typhoon has been flying since 2003 - but not operationally. It is now - albeit after 1 was grounded.

2. Yes, I know the demagraphics about then and now. Differant scenarios and all that.

3. yes, I know that no sane government (French excluded) would not attempt to invade the South Downs but, that is my point exactly.

Do we really need this mega expensive a/c that is to be the all singing and all dancing a/c for the next - how many years?

You see guys, I have no problem with Typhoon. None at all. What I do have a problem with, in the JSF and the Typhoon.

I understand the need for one or the other, but not both. Typhoon should have been made carrier friendly and as one poster pointed out, should have had thrust vectoring fitted as standard.

Now, we are even talking to the French (:mad
about buying Rafele for the carriers. Fine. If we do, we should withdraw from JSF.

Our poor little country cannot afford to purchase two types of a/c and maintain them in constant readiness for a war that may or may not happen.

You only have to look at Iraq to see the problems - a/c withdrawn from Germany and cannabalised for spares to keep front line units in the air - much the same for Chally 2, Sarbe, Warrior and Scimitar.

new topics

top topics

join