It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ecologist advocates use of Ebola to exterminate 90% of Earth's Population

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ya know what the problem with you is... you have no problem debating other people, so long as they cave in to your opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
yes mister know-it-all...I bow down to your superior knowledge... now would you please contact the academy of science and inform them about how wrong they all are and how right you are.

Could you point to us which astrophysicist claims, like you, that interstellar clouds are like "fog"?.....

As always grover, when you are proven wrong you try to project your failures and ignorance on others, preferably on the messenger that presents the evidence against your wild claims....

You should give it up already...

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This is the News Network, take this outside guys.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I personally have no problem with Muaddib's theory as long as that's what he markets it as, a theory, but he has a very bad habit of shoving his opinion down your throat if you disagree with him, and that I seriously object to.

I will say it again, the vast majority of environmental scientists attribute global warming to human activity, and I am supposed to listen to some crank in Montana? Snort!!! Yeah right.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You want more information of what is happening with the interstellar cloud we are currently going through and the changes/chemical reactions it is causing on Earth and mostly on other planets in the solar system with an atmosphere?...

June 9, 1996 Press Contact: Steve Koppes
(773) 702-8366
[email protected]

Our solar system may be headed for an encounter with a dense cloud of interstellar matter–gas and dust–that could have substantial implications for our solar system’s interplanetary environment, according to University of Chicago astrophysicist Priscilla Frisch.
The good news is that it probably won’t happen for 50,000 years. Frisch presented the results of her research Monday, June 10, at the meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Madison, Wisc.

Frisch has been investigating the interstellar gas in the local neighborhood of our solar system, which is called the Local Interstellar Medium (LISM). This interstellar gas is within 100 light years of the Sun. The Sun has a trajectory through space, and for most of the last five million years, said Frisch, it has been moving through a region of space between the spiral arms of the Milky Way galaxy that is almost devoid of matter. Only recently, within the last few thousand years, she estimates, the Sun has been traveling through a relatively low-density interstellar cloud.

“This cloud, although low density on average, has a tremendous amount of structure to it,” Frisch said. “And it is not inconsistent with our data that the Sun may eventually encounter a portion of the cloud that is a million times denser than what we’re in now.”

Frisch believes the interstellar cloud through which we’re traveling is a relatively narrow band of dust and gas that lies in a superbubble shell expanding outward from an active star-formation region called the Scorpius-Centaurus Association. “When this superbubble expanded around these stars, it expanded much farther into the region of our galaxy between the spiral arms, where our sun lies, because the density is very low,” Frisch said. “It didn’t expand very far in the direction parallel to the spiral arms because it ran into very dense molecular clouds.”

The solar wind–the flux of charged particles streaming from the Sun’s corona–protects the Earth from direct interaction with the interstellar medium by enveloping the Earth and all the planets in the heliosphere, the region of influence of the solar wind. The heliosphere currently extends 100 times farther from the Sun than the distance between Earth and the Sun. “We think the heliosphere might have been much larger before we entered the interstellar cloud,” said Frisch, “but that’s something we can’t say for sure.”

But if the solar system encountered the much denser cloud, Frisch estimates that the heliosphere could be compressed to within one or two astronomical units of the Sun, not much greater than the Earth’s distance from the Sun. “There would be dramatic effects on the inner solar system,” said Frisch. “It would immediately change the whole interaction between the solar wind and the interstellar medium.” Researchers have predicted increases in the cosmic-ray flux, changes in the Earth’s magnetosphere, the chemistry of the atmosphere and perhaps even the terrestrial climate.

www-news.uchicago.edu...

That was released in 1996 and it corroborates what the scientists from France said back in 1978. Also of note in the past I have given links to NASA and other scientific institutions who state that the cloud we are going through is becoming denser, and denser, with it's peak being in 2012-2013, which is bad for Earth and brings dramatic changes to the whole Solar System.

Although in the above article it is stated that it might not happen in the next 50,000 years, it has in recent years been proven that we are already going through a portion of the cloud which is becoming denser and denser as we travel into this region, and it is changing drastically the climate on astral bodies with an atmosphere, including the Sun.

see full issue: January-February 2000 Volume: 88 Number: 1 Page: 52
DOI: 10.1511/2000.1.52Other Formats: PDF
The Galactic Environment of the Sun
A Changing Galactic Environment
We do not know whether the interstellar cloud complex flowing past the sun is a homogeneous structure. On the basis of more distant interstellar clouds, it's quite possible that the Local Interstellar Cloud contains relatively small structures (perhaps 100 to 10,000 AU across) with very high densities (more than 1,000 particles per cubic centimeter). If our solar system should pass through such a dense cloud fragment, the dimensions of the heliosphere would change dramatically.

My colleague Gary Zank at the University of Delaware and I have recently modeled the changes that might take place should the heliosphere encounter a dense interstellar cloud. If the density of the Local Interstellar Cloud increased to 10 particles per cubic centimeter, the heliosphere would contract to a radius of about 15 AU and the heliopause would become unstable (oscillating in and out of existence). The density of interstellar hydrogen at 1 AU would increase to about 2 atoms per cubic centimeter and dramatically alter the interplanetary environment of the earth. (By comparison, virtually all of the interstellar hydrogen is ionized before it gets to the earth's orbit under current conditions.) A more severe scenario—say a cloud with a density of 1,000 atoms per cubic centimeter—would alter heliosphere physics entirely and probably contract the heliosphere to within a few AU of the sun. Planets such as Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto (all of which are outside 9 AU) would be fully exposed to the flux of interstellar neutrals. Interstellar gas would overwhelm the solar wind at 1 AU. These simulations suggest that, to a certain extent, the solar wind acts to "protect" the inner planets from certain types of changes in the local galactic environment.

www.americanscientist.org...

The Local Fluff

The composition of the interior of the Local Bubble is not uniform. Clouds of low-density gas float inside the Local Bubble. The solar system is currently passing through such a cloud, known as The Local Fluff, or The Local Interstellar Cloud. The cloud is about 30 light years in length, and it mainly contains hydrogen and helium gasses. A few of our closer stellar companions, including the star Altair, are also passing through this cloud. The cloud appears to emanate from a star-forming region, known as the Sco-Cen OB Association2, in the Loop 1 bubble. It is expected that our Sun will leave this cloud in the next 10,000 to 20,000 years. Much of the heavier matter (ie, heavier than hydrogen) from the cloud actually enters the solar system environment - we normally pass through a concentrated flow of interstellar gas from this cloud each November.

www.bbc.co.uk...

We didn't pass the cloud, we are still in it. There are regions of the cloud which have less density while other regions have more density. The current section of the cloud that we are going through is denser, and will increase in density exponentially until 2012-2013.

Here is some more interesting information as to what this dense region of the intergallactic cloud can caus on Earth and other planet sin the solar system.

What it Means to Us here on Earth

As our Sun travels on its 230 million-year circuit of the Milky Way, it passes through regions of very dense clouds and regions almost completely devoid of interstellar gas. Thanks to our current transit through the Local Bubble, we have a magnificent opportunity to view our galactic neighbourhood in great detail. Conversely, if we were passing through an interstellar cloud, we would see practically nothing in the sky at night3. A low density interstellar environment is also good for life on Earth, as it enables the Sun to cast its protection cover, the Heliosphere, out to great distances4 beyond the solar system, thus deflecting and repelling dangerous charged particles. However, the Heliosphere is highly sensitive to the density of interstellar gas, and it could fail almost completely if the Sun passed though a dense cloud of gas, exposing the Earth to massive amounts of harmful radiation. There is some evidence to suggest that the Earth has experienced mass extinctions caused by interstellar explosions in the past - perhaps caused because we were in a dense cloud when the effects of a supernova passed us by.

www.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Good work there mister-know-it-al...I mean Mauddib

Problem with our types is we come across as arrogant when the reality is much different! I like grover too and his thesis is soundly supported by the recent findings in Angkor. HOWever, I have come here to present a synthesis.

Given: The population is becoming rapidly unsustainable (and I concurr extermination is wholly unholy

Given: We are entering an interstellar "dust" cloud

Therefore: Does it make sense to use the new interstellar matter to construct some artificial balck holes?

I say this because a unique opportunity exists for us to simultaneously reduce our population and at the same time make interstellar travel a reality for our world. In Adrian Berry's book The Iron Sun an interstellar medium is an ideal resource to construct black holes for travel to distant regions of our universe. I currently know of no other way (theoretically) to span the vast reaches of space and time except by this method.

I propose a global effort over the next few centuries to construct at least one, thereby solving two seemingly insurmountable conundrums in one great feat.

Now it is up to everyone else to learn to work together. Little ol' me has done his part

Edit lame emoticons

[edit on 8/11/2006 by Matyas]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
SERIOUSLY!!!!! Come on, guys, some of us actually wanted to read and discuss THIS topic. If you want to get into a pissing contest over global warming and star dust, then start your own thread. The past four dog gone pages are full of your all's darn bickering. Knock it off already, your ruining it for the rest of us, and making yourselfs out to look like fools in the process. SHEESH!!

Back on subject PLEASE!!!!

First of all......Has there been an ebola virus that is airborne, and could really knock out 90% of the population?

Second....Seriously, does he really expect to be able to continue living with the casual comforts of this century with 90% of the population gone? Im thinking this guy is JUST smart enough to be dangerous.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
Back on subject PLEASE!!!!

You are right, it is in part my fault for getting in the habit of responding to people like grover.

First of all......Has there been an ebola virus that is airborne, and could really knock out 90% of the population?

If I remember correctly ebola has an 80%-90% mortality rate. So the whole population of the Earth would have to be infected in order for almost 90% of the people on Earth to die. (that is the most fatal form of ebola, there are other forms of Ebola which have a lesser fatality rate at 50%+)

Airborne ebola transmission has been demonstrated between monkeys in controlled experiments, but there have been no cases of human to human airborne transmission, that i know of. There has to be contact between fluids, or fluid to skin contact for people to catch the virus.

Second....Seriously, does he really expect to be able to continue living with the casual comforts of this century with 90% of the population gone? Im thinking this guy is JUST smart enough to be dangerous.

He is one of the people that gives more importance to species, such as lizards, he is a lizard expert, than to human beings. Although I agree that all species are important, I'll rather save a little girl or little boy than save a lizard...

There are many people who think like him. i gave a couple of links to what students of Pianka are saying about his class, and you would see that most of his students agree with him. i guess they are not intelligent enough to understand that they, and/or members of their families, would suffer a terrible agony until death....

What people such as this environmentalists should do, is "find a balance"...not "hoping that 90% of humans die" to "try" to solve what they claim the problem is.... As for Pianka being very intelligent, I kind of doubt it, he might know about lizards, but if you read a couple of his speeches, it reads like an 8 year old is giving a class.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
You are right, it is in part my fault for getting in the habit of responding to people like grover.

That was not an appology, that was another jab, and an attempt at getting the last word. STOP IT!!! I hear enough of that from my kids, I dont want to have to read it on here too. OK?
or your grounded buddy

Airborne ebola transmission has been demonstrated between monkeys in controlled experiments, but there have been no cases of human to human airborne transmission, that i know of. There has to be contact between fluids, or fluid to skin contact for people to catch the virus.

Right that was the ebila reston, that they discovered in Reston, VA. From what I read, they narrowed this reston strain down to one supplier, but were unable to look into it any further. Sounds very suspicious to me to be quite honest.

(thank you for getting back on subject)

[edit on 11-8-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i did an ebola term paper in high school, then translated it to spanish in college. unless theres some new strain (i.e. within last 3 years), it very difficult for a human to even catch the virus. i dont think there IS an airborne strain that humans could catch because the host would die so quickly. the problem with a bunch of people catching ebola is that it contains itself - you die within 3-10 days, so the chances of you spreading it (especially since its not airborne) are hardly likely. it is just too vicious. mostly it runs rampant and extreme for a very short period of time in africa because of the pockets of population there and bad health systems(okay, sometimes nonexistant).

i dont agree with using something like ebola, and i dont even know how feasible that woudl be. see above paragraph.

but humanity needs to do somethign about the world's overpopulation. we run over species ilke none of them are ever running out, and how long before this planet is expected to support 10 billion people?

we need to do something about population control but everyone always says 'not in my neighborhood.' its sad. famine, disease, etc etc, happens when there is an overabundance of people in a particular area. nothin complicated about it.

[edit on 8/12/2006 by evanostrand]

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I don't think there's necessarilly an overabundance so much as there's not enough people living in the suburban areas of the planet. There's millions of square acres that haven't been inhabited yet. And let's not even start with living underwater. There's almost an infinite amount of space down there.

People just need to evolve to the point that they can grasp the concept of working together to accomplish a similar task. Once that happens, we'll be set.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 12 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I agree that with the way we are living now, overpopulation is a threat. I do however believe that we could over come that threat not by extermination or telling people not to have kids, but by changing our lifestyles. One of the big problems right now, is that we keep building and building. We HAVE to have farmland, pastures, and trees. We have to have wildlife. Its all part of the web of life thing. There ARE ways to get around these problems. Its just that most people do not like change. No matter how obsolete things are now, no one wants to change it. Quite frustrating really.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Just thought that this thread deserves a bump considering the Ebola threat.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join