It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shape of Universe Known Long Ago?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dont know why, but this reminds me about a scifi story I read back in college, about a relativistic ramscoop ship that rode the universe through the Big Crunch and through a New Big Bang....

Scientists now know that the universe is not infinite and that space is curved in on itself in the shape of a dodecahedron. Interestingly enough, the ancient Greeks, including Plato, thought the universe was made up of this geometrical shape, and the artist Leonardo da Vinci, who was the recipient of much ancient knowledge, studied these shapes as well.
Astronomers think this shape is the best way to account for the newest satellite observations. A dodecahedron is shaped somewhat like a soccer ball. David Whitehouse writes in BBC News Online that, although scientists now think the universe is finite, we can never reach the edge of it, because this shape would keep pushing us back towards the center again. In fact, if we went out one side of it, we'd be pushed back into the other.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Im wondering if the shape of the universe was predetermined to keep us from exploring too far???

Makes me wonder what is on the other side..

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
you know what TheyWatchYouToo?

iv been thinking that too,

like were in a HUG cage with who-knows what outside?

our "god"?

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Maybe we really are some lab experiment somewhere... kinda freaky.

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 07:22 PM
link   
and mybe the UFO's are the scientest that made us

and some of the UFOS are just coming in to be intertaned

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i think einstien may have known tabout this universe shape in hs study of multiple dimensions and such

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Yeah its like riding the curve of the earth, seems like you are going straight ahead but eventually you get back to where you started from.

I think that aliens are critters in this big fishbowl too like us.

Always amazing how the old guys knew stuff that our so called 'scientists' will only figure out maybe next month for themselves. Yeah we are the only intelligent life in the universe, riiiightttt....

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I believe that you are correct! I am an Astro and Quantum Physicist who is right on top of such events as is the theory mentioned in both of Stephen Hawkings books: "A Brief History of Time", and "The Universe in a Nutshell", both excellent books and if you can handle alot of brain food I suggest you read them if you are in any way interested in this field of science. E-Mail me with any other current information that you hear.

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by terrestrialconcept
I believe that you are correct! I am an Astro and Quantum Physicist who is right on top of such events as is the theory mentioned in both of Stephen Hawkings books: "A Brief History of Time", and "The Universe in a Nutshell", both excellent books and if you can handle alot of brain food I suggest you read them if you are in any way interested in this field of science. E-Mail me with any other current information that you hear.

LOL- I guess the universe really IS in a nutshell.

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 04:17 AM
link   
already started a thread on this a couple of day ago DR, here it is.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
you know what TheyWatchYouToo?

iv been thinking that too,

like were in a HUG cage with who-knows what outside?

our "god"?

Damn! Or what if Aliens came and conquered our "system" a long time ago, and built a barrier around it (a safe distance away). The Aliens could have nourished earth and made it liveable for us. Then they planted human seeds or whatever, and left them here to grow on their own and develop a society.

Eventually human grew and became prosperous. Now Aliens come and visit every now and then to get glimpses of how we're doing down here. One huge lab expirement. I don't think Aliens are hostile, because if they were, they would have attacked a long time ago. Interesting thoughts.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheyWatchYouToo

Originally posted by terrestrialconcept

LOL- I guess the universe really IS in a nutshell.

I would say so

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   
well known well known, praise praise

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Damn! Or what if Aliens came and conquered our "system" a long time ago, and built a barrier around it (a safe distance away). The Aliens could have nourished earth and made it liveable for us. Then they planted human seeds or whatever, and left them here to grow on their own and develop a society.

Eventually human grew and became prosperous. Now Aliens come and visit every now and then to get glimpses of how we're doing down here. One huge lab expirement. I don't think Aliens are hostile, because if they were, they would have attacked a long time ago. Interesting thoughts.

Wow this is quicky becoming a science fiction novel..

top topics

join