It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Kids Go Bad?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I would say nature is the greatest influencer. I have read reports of identical twins adpoted by 2 different families. The identical twins share all the same things in common they were both voltunteer firemen watched the same shows, liked the same things. The way we act is most likely to be encoded in our gentics however if your young and your family has problems that can lead to violence and bad beahvior. Has anyone here ever read frakenstein? Since Frakenstein shuns his monster the monster in return fells rejected and resorts to murder to get his maters attention.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsl4doc

Originally posted by mrwupy
I wonder about the gene factor. I share the same genes as my brother and we are as differant as night and day.

You're in luck, you do NOT share the same genes as your brother. In fact, unless you are identical twins, the chance of you two having the same genome is so astronomical you can't even comprehend it. Yes, you have the same parents, but each parent has two alleles for every gene (at least), and your dad's two alleles are not the same as your mom's two alleles, meaning there are many, many possibile combinations for your inheritance of two alleles. You could end up with alleles 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 1, 4 and 2, 3 and 1, 3 and 3, 4 and 4, etc. Now, multiply the probability of you inheriting the SAME combination of alleles as your sibling by 20 000 to 25 000 (the current estimated number of genes in the human genome), and the chance of point mutations, which is quite high, and you will have the probability of you two having the same genome. Nil.

So, in short, I wouldn't worry about yor own criminal tendencies anytime soon, heh. Ciao e buone notte.
~MFP

[edit on 3/7/2006 by bsl4doc]

Yet, here is a very interesting article:

Code 2

Scientists are rewriting the laws of heredity as they learn more about a mysterious second genetic code that turns our genes on and off.

The traditional idea that we are the passive carriers of our genes is being challenged by the notion that we are their custodians. Our lifestyles — what we eat, how much we exercise, whether we smoke — may play a role in a chemical switching system that activates or deactivates our genes. There are signs that our behaviour may program sections of our children's DNA, and that how we live may even affect our grandchildren's genes.

“It introduces the concept of responsibility into genetics,” said Dr. Moshe Szyf, a researcher at McGill University in Montreal and a pioneer in the field of epigenetics, the study of genetic changes that don't involve mutations in DNA.

More...

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
LOVE that reference loam.

Cutting edge genetics is taking another look at LaMarck - kind of a Darwin-LaMarck blend. Very interesting stuff.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

Also I think the addictive personality is just a label that has become an excuse, of heard so many people after a drug binge just blame it over and over again on their so called addictive personality. To me that is just a lame excuse for someone who needs help.

Really JRod..is this your educated opinion? Maybe it's an excuse in some cases, but not in general. It is a disorder. Addictive Personality Dosorder. It does exist and it's quite real....and that's an educated answer. Do you have anything to back up your claim that it is just an excuse? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

I partially have to agree with JRod on this. I think that it is a disorder in some cases, but not in general. It's becoming over used and people just label themselves with it without getting a professional medical diagnosis so they can put the blame on something else.

Like over weight people who say that it is a glandular problem, granted it is real and some people do in fact have a glandular problem that causes them to be over weight, however only 3-5% of all cases of obesity are caused by an endocrine problem.

*rant* The rest are just plain fat and want to blame something else for their problem because they don't want to take responsibility for their life. And don't tell me your "too busy" to take 30 min 5 times a week and go for a walk and to take the time to make healthy food choices cause I'm sick of hearing it. And try drinking some water yes WATER not juice, not pop/soda, not coffee, not sports drink, not beer WATER you be amazed how often you think your hungry when in fact your dehydrated */rant*

*flameshield*And before you start whining about not know what it's like blah blah blah I do cause I was over weight and I decided to change it no special diet, no magic pill, no BS infomercial waste of money POS, I just walking and eat better thats all.*/flameshield*

It's not my fault I'm addicted to crack, I have an addictive personality.
It's not my fault I'm obese, It's a glandular problem.
It's not my fault I skip school and fail classes, I have ADD.
It's not my fault I beat my wife, I was drunk.
It's not my fault, It's not my fault, it's not my fault.... give me a break.

And to wrap this all up to relate to "Why Do Kids Go Bad", personal accountability. What's to stop them from doing whatever they want when we teach them that there is always a scapegoat.

[edit on 14-3-2006 by deadboi]

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadboi

personal accountability. What's to stop them from doing whatever they want when we teach them that there is always a scapegoat.

I agree 100%. Let's hold everyone accountable - Bush, Cheney, Rumsfield. All the CEO's getting rich poisoning our planet and the people in it.

They've made ordinary people their scapegoats - cuz that's how they were raised. Never admit guilt; never pay your own way. Let some else pick up the tab.

Time for us to say ENOUGH!

FYI - Most obesity seems to be infectious - although there are different routes. One of my faves:

Bird flu is one virus that directly infects adipocytes (fat cells) - and bird flu has been around since 1959 at least. The evidence strongly suggests it's endemic.

So let's nail those lying sociopathic CEO presidential twits. Time for them to pay the piper. Time for them quit weaseling and blaming everyone else when their ball goes through the window.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

we are who we are b/c of the decisions we make. we are all faced with the same to cheat or not to cheat, to lie or to tell the truth we are who we are by how we react to our enviroment. to ask why one rock is here and the other is there is meaning less to try to understand why we act the way we do is a noble cause but has yet to come true. maby we act like we want and why some "go bad" is simply they are bad nothing more nothing less.

A lot of it has to do with the chemical balance in a person's brain. Some have impulse issues, some have addictive issues, some have depressive issues, etc. etc. etc.....some have all of these wrapped together. It can be difficult to make rational decisions for some when they have a mental disorder.

Some may use excuses for their behavior, but most have a true medical reason for their condition and their behavior and need more than just the knowledge of what is right and what is wrong to correct the problem!

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It's not my fault I'm addicted to crack, I have an addictive personality.
It's not my fault I'm obese, It's a glandular problem.
It's not my fault I skip school and fail classes, I have ADD.
It's not my fault I beat my wife, I was drunk.
It's not my fault, It's not my fault, it's not my fault.... give me a break.

Beating one's wife because of drinking doesn't even belong with the rest of the examples in this post. But, alcoholism is a serious problem on this planet and it will never end as long as the big companies are making billions off of alcohol. It's harder to stop drinking for chronic alcoholics than it is for someone to quit heroine.

Is it okay to beat one's wife while drunk? NO! It's against the law no matter whether you're under the influence of something or not.

I have a son with ADHD...he was out of control from the moment he was born and my wife and I barely slept for the first 5 years of his life. He has been off and on many different meds and nothing has really worked for him. As he has gotten older he has calmed down to some degree, but he still has impulse issues and attention problems and we need to manage his money or he would have none. He had to go to special education schooling his whole school career even though he has an extremely high IQ. Do you think he uses his ADHD as a crutch? No he doesn't. He does the best he can with it. He holds down a good job etc....He just needs support and help from the people that care about him.

I take offense to you discussing this particular issue when you know absolutely nothing about it! You truly have a lot of nerve.

And...do you know how addictive crack is? Maybe a person makes a poor decision to try it..but once they are on their way...it can ruin the life of anyone from a street person to a multi-millionaire on Wall Street. You have a very naive view of addiction. It IS a disease whether you care to admit it or not. You have no idea what you are talking about!!

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join