It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned Member

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
In my travels through the confines of this website, I see from time to time "Banned Member" under the Users Name. This may sound stupid but what happens to a banned member?

What are the consequences to this badge of dishonor (depending on who you ask I guess).

Hopefully I have put this in the right spot, please forgive me if it is not.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Its not a stupid question at all.

When someone is banned, they lose thier ability to post here on ATS. The decision to ban someone is the domain of the Senior Staff, Admin, and Owners and it is usualy reserved for people who repeatedly violate the T&C of the site, are distruptive, et. al.

Banning is almost always a last resort and is a step never taken lightly by any staff / admin.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
they are banned from the ATS domains and cannot access the site.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thank you for your really, really quick answers. As I have been rambling through I see them from time to time and was curious as to their fate.

Hopefully this fate never befalls me.

I appreciate your clearing this "mystery" up for me.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I would tell you but then I might get banned.

Just picture Motel HELL-O but with a concrete garden.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Is there IP Address banned or just the member tag?

Could they reregister on another account?

I am sure this has come up before and been dealth with, and probably not that easy to maneuver.

Just always was curious.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Lanotom,

The only way to beat this is to purchase a wig, go to a neighbors and ask to use their pc , then run back home and start posting on another website cause this aint going to work.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Is there IP Address banned or just the member tag?

Both.

Could they reregister on another account?

Oh yeah. They've tried that. We usually catch them within the month (seriously.)

What folks don't realize is that, like fingerprints, writing styles are fairly unique. We've caught a number of them this way (including one dear ...person... who got banned and reregistered after situations caused them to move to another town and get a new ISP provider.)

Some of the admins, like myself, are experienced spam hunters and know how to track down spoofed IPs and the like. SkepticOverlord's expertise in this area is mind-blowing (I'm reasonably good, but he is truly godlike with his skills.)

Some of them have been persistant for a number of months (a few tried hacking in revenge and various kinds of software attacks.) But we have some amazing folks here, and these issues were dealt with very swiftly.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

What folks don't realize is that, like fingerprints, writing styles are fairly unique. We've caught a number of them this way (including one dear ...person... who got banned and reregistered after situations caused them to move to another town and get a new ISP provider.)

I know this is quite old, but you are absolutely correct. One former friend had taken to flaming me on various messageboards.. She still pops up now and then, always under a psuedonym, and I always caught her, and proved it was her via comparision of writing styles available on the boards under her regular name.
As her editor for various advertizements, articles, and website, and being a close friend for more than 10 years when this started, I was very familiar with her writing style. And those who knew her were also familiar with her odd turns of verbal phrase.

The moral, don't get banned. And if you do, move to another city, get a new IP address, and take up a few writing classes and change your writing style.. You may have to change your thinking and speaking patterns while you are at it.. And NEVER take up an old fight just to defend yourself under your new name.. you will get caught, lol.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
If you ban the ip what happens if their using a dynamic ip? as a lot of the Uk members do.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I always thought that there were two types of banning: normal username cancellation, and IP banning; with the former meaning you could come back under a different screen name and IP banning meaning you could not come back at all if you tried to re-register from the same IP address>? You have me thoroughly
now.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
If you ban the ip what happens if their using a dynamic ip? as a lot of the Uk members do.

Dynamic Banning

In my brief time here compared to longer term members, I have seen people banned, and in one case a banned member actually reposted their own picture with their "new" name! :shk:

I was a member of another local message board, and we had this guy/girl that was using multiple usernames (in the thirties, at least), and I had other members email me, I pointed out the writing styles that were always noticable, and the troll went down because it couldn't be stealthy anymore, since it's lack of grammar was obvious in certain respects.

Don't worry though, even someone that quietly marches along unnoticed will eventually do something to get caught if banned once.

Isn't it true that only SO IP bans people, since it requires access to the firewall?

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hi Guys,

More about being a banned member. I am a new member and I want to learn more about ATS.

Once you're banned, is it for good? or for a certain period of time? I saw some member which has label "banned member" but can still post. Is it because they were banned once and the ban was lifted? but you can still see the label "banned member"?

Thanks in advance

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
Hi Guys,

More about being a banned member. I am a new member and I want to learn more about ATS.

Once you're banned, is it for good? or for a certain period of time? I saw some member which has label "banned member" but can still post. Is it because they were banned once and the ban was lifted? but you can still see the label "banned member"?

Thanks in advance

That's a member that has purchased a custom title and put "banned member" under their username. You'll note in cases like this it will say "member" under the custom title. Yeah, it can be confusing.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sometimes people get banned by an unfortunate accident. Happened to me once.
Hate it when That happens!!

But upon further investigation my account was restored to it's unblemished "Member" status.

But accidents like those are few and far between, from what I have seen here.

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
in one case a banned member actually reposted their own picture with their "new" name! :shk:

I do seem to recall that one, and also how the "new name" recieved a healthy dose of.....

Dealing justice as only an Overlord can.

I hear it can get a bit messy (think of Gallagher's "Sledge-o-Matic") but nothing gets the job done quite like it.

[edit on 10/20/06 by redmage]

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Some of the admins, like myself, are experienced spam hunters and know how to track down spoofed IPs and the like.

I'm reasonably good (At this).

Ah! So you've got BOTH beauty AND brains!! Cheers!!

Edited to add, '(At this)'.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I know this is an old thread, but I did not want to waste a new thread, so here it is.

I keep seeing banned members. I then wonder why they got banned, especially if it just happened recently. When someone gets banned, is there an explanation somewhere, or do they just.....go away quietly? I admit I am very nosy, and thanks for any answers.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
II then wonder why they got banned, especially if it just happened recently. When someone gets banned, is there an explanation somewhere, or do they just.....go away quietly? I admit I am very nosy, and thanks for any answers.

As a rule, we do not discuss the reason for members being banned. On very very rare circumstances has the banning of a member been discussed on the board. In my tenure here (almost 4 years) this has been done exactly once.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
II then wonder why they got banned, especially if it just happened recently. When someone gets banned, is there an explanation somewhere, or do they just.....go away quietly? I admit I am very nosy, and thanks for any answers.

As a rule, we do not discuss the reason for members being banned. On very very rare circumstances has the banning of a member been discussed on the board. In my tenure here (almost 4 years) this has been done exactly once.

ATS is american, that is all...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join