It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man goes 33 years without sleep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   
www.shoutwire.com...

You’d think going without sleep for that long may have its drawbacks, but not for the man in central Quang Nam province who has never been ill after decades of insomnia.

His inability to sleep has not only made him famous, but also represents a “miraculous” phenomenon worthy of scientific study.

Sixty-four-year-old Thai Ngoc, known as Hai Ngoc, said he could not sleep at night after getting a fever in 1973, and has counted infinite numbers of sheep during more than 11,700 consecutive sleepless nights.

“I don’t know whether the insomnia has impacted my health or not. But I’m still healthy and can farm normally like others,” Ngoc said.

Pretty crazy

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thats absolutely amazing. You think at some point the body would just simply shut down.

So you could basically say he has lived the life of twice his age. If we sleep for a big % of our life, this guy has enjoyed the life of a 108 year old man give or take a few years.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the first time he went to sleep he passed on. Body just didn't understand the state it was in or someting. Think its possible?

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Wow - that's really strange!

The longest i can go without sleep is about 3days!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Man goes 33 years without sleep

Must have kids....

I say this after my two year old JOYFULLY bounced out of bed last night at...2:30, thats A frikkin M!

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is rubbish!

Sorry but I'll try and find links to back this up.

I remember watching a TV program about sleep deprivation.

It followed the experiences of a man (lecturer) in the USA who had a very rare genetic disease. At a certain age he was physically unable to sleep.

I think he went 6 months without sleep before he died. Sleep is as important as food, oxygen, and water. He was a physical wreck by the time he died.

Living 33 years without sleep is like those who say you don't have to eat, you can live on air.

It's rubbish.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yeah i was thinking the same. Wouldn't it just be physically impossible? How would the body recharge.

Plus if it is true - He must get really bored

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Reporting in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers from California examined the case of a 44-year-old man who died of insomnia.

He gradually developed sleeping problems, and after six months had trouble walking. His eyes watered and sleeping pills were of little use.

Within a year he was confined to a wheelchair and his memory had deteriorated. He had problems telling the difference between dreams and reality.

After 16 months, hounded by delusions and hallucinations, he died of pneumonia.

news.bbc.co.uk...

OK, 16 months not six months.

Rats deprived of sleep can only expect to live for 2 to 3 weeks.

Insomnia is fatal and there is no way that a man can go 33 years without sleeping.

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
This is rubbish!

Sorry but I'll try and find links to back this up.

I remember watching a TV program about sleep deprivation.

It followed the experiences of a man (lecturer) in the USA who had a very rare genetic disease. At a certain age he was physically unable to sleep.

I think he went 6 months without sleep before he died. Sleep is as important as food, oxygen, and water. He was a physical wreck by the time he died.

Living 33 years without sleep is like those who say you don't have to eat, you can live on air.

It's rubbish.

www.thanhniennews.com...

It seems to be on a few other sites to? Snopes isnt coming up with anything. Who knows

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I agree with Jb1, When does this guys body heal? My body heals when I sleep, just like all other humans.

[edit on 21-2-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I agree with Jb1, When does this guys body heal? My body heals when I sleep, just liks all other humans.

WAIT!!!

He is an ALIEN!!!

I think Cobra is on to something here...

top topics

join