It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air strike on Iran will there be warnings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Although i have linked this to in particular shipping, foreign civilians in Iran and troops in Iraq come to mind which is making me think that unless Israel goes itself for strikes, not a lot is going to happen. Anyway

I read an article today (sorry cant find the link), the basic idea behind this article is that if Iran suffers an attack it would retaliate against shipping, shutting down oil supplies from the middle east. It would then escalate from there on.

My question or point is would military and western shipping be asked/warned to leave the area before a strike or would they be left to fend for themselves?

And if warned would we have a way of knowing if the number of ships around Iranian waters (strike distance of ground/air to ship missiles) has declined significantly and use this as proof an attack is on the table (very near future).

Too simplify things is their any way to find out if shipping near iran has reduced recently (western shipping particularly).

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well if GW turns it into a glass car park who cares about warnings??

As for retaliation, well, there sure is thousands of troops a few miles over the border who are well armed and motivated... but if GW plays his cards right all they will have to do is sweep up the ashes after its been left to cool for a few years!

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Pre-Emptive means Sneak Attack where you want to deny your aggressive action.

There will be signs before the Sneak Attack, but no Warnings.

There will be denialism before, during, and after the Sneak Attack.

There will be no Mothers with open arms welcoming the liberators.

They have been watching their own media, not yours....

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
We are talking airstrikes against facilities not the whole country remember the oil. And their are troops their but not enough to kickoff against Iran big time, you guys need to do some research on Irans Military its not Iraq, it has one.

Any sensible answers out their? After all if you have 100 western tankers and assorted ships in the gulf it would be nice to know if they should beat a retreat or am i just being....................

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wouldn't be to worried about shipping, since it will take some time from Iran to react, thus allowing non-combatants to evade the Iranian retaliatory strikes and slip into the protection of US/UK naval units...

But knowing Iranian habit of taking hostages, i would be very worried about foreign civilians in Iran. Would the US administration risk 100 or more US civilians during the strike (not to mention other westeners in region)?

Blockade on oil exports to west is certain as will be some attempts to retaliate against US/Israel...

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Since the Western powers (and I incldue Isreal in this group) Stated objective would be the elimination of Iran's actual/potential nuclear capibility, and not "regime change" (per se), which would require invasion/occupation (a la Iraq), a "suprise" attack would not be necessary.

One is of course assuming that the Western forces have, or believe that they have, sufficient technological means to defeat Iran's air defences at any time.

Since the element of suprise (in the traditional sense) is not required, and since there may be significant psychological leverage to be gained by the implying immenent threat through the issuance of such warnings; I would conclude that there will in fact be dire warnings to "Clear the Area" long before any action takes place.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think there will be a warning.

Give them 15 minutes of warning but invasion commence in 10 minutes.

Anyways, since U.S military might is, unfortunately, a force to reckon with, I think the suitable response would be protecting and shutting down oil supplies and anything that has to do with the economy.

Anyways, I still don't know why people underestimate Iran's military capability.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Irans military is slightly better than iraqs, but nowhere near the same as the US or more than likely Israel. War will not be a good option for Iran.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartagram

Anyways, I still don't know why people underestimate Iran's military capability.

What is the Iranian Naval Capabilities?
How many CBG's do they have?
How many Subs do they have?

What is the total strength of their Air Force?
What is the current training levels of their pilots?
What is the current flight readiness status of their aircraft?

They have us in numbers of ground troops possibly, but, the Air capabilities of our military is second to none. Long range stealth from the Air Force, Carrier Based from the Navy and Marine Corps, in a battle for air superiority we would win and once you own the air, you are in good shape.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Here's a warning. March 28th around sunset!....I personally see it more around 12.30 p.m. just in time for the evening news here in the states.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Not this time, not like Iraq. An Iranian air raid success would depend entirely on the initial attack being a total and complete surprise. Iran’s ONLY chance in a war with the west is ground to air defenses, it would be critical to knock these out as fast as possible, and a surprise stealth attack would be the only way. I’m certain Iran’s anti aircraft ability is superior to Iraq’s so surprise is critical.

I would bet the biggest possible stealth aircraft attack covering critical air routes to start, and literally moments later a massive barrage of cruise missiles over the same areas. The goal here would be to knock out detection, SAM, and communication stations creating a wide corridor for non stealth manned attack aircraft right into Tehran, like a highway. Immediately following that attack, hundreds or even thousands of coalition aircraft systematically destroying every anti aircraft device along this corridor, all this within the first hour or so of the initial stealth attack.

I would bet the initial attack would not come from the sea like they would think either…Iran is currently sitting in the middle of a coalition sandwich…So who knows…

Iran couldn’t know for any reason, it would make the whole ting much more risky.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You have got to think that Iran's air defense is modern but if the US use stealth will it matter. This will be a defining moment in military history, modern air defense V stealth. Guess we will find out the outcome one way or another.

If the US goes in I do predict a drop in western shipping beforehand.

new topics

top topics

join