It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Drama?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Alright, I have to bring this up, or I'll be dead by the end of the week for continuously thinking it over...

In my years of lurking, and posting here at AboveTopSecret.com I've noticed and whitnessed major consipracies and minor conspiracies, one after another. This is common for most of us here at ATS, with John Titor, Profit Yaweah (SP), SERPO.

But, my question and investigation on the matter is simply put, why is it some conspiracies get further than others? Why are the so called "minor" conspiracies such as Aurora, basic UFOs, the paranormal, why don't they get headlined? And just why do people believe anything of the major conspiracies, except those hard core skeptics?

Lets take two topics for example:

Project: Serpo, vs. A UFO Sighting in Arizona

We know that Serpo got the best of things, and that it probably still would. But, why are people who do not believe in the UFO Sighting, jump right up and state they know Serpo is real?

What does Serpo have, that this sighting wouldn't have?

How did the person in Serpo prove he was speaking the truth, and why did we believe him if he didn't provide this proof?

We made the argument to not believe something unless we have proof, so why didn't we look at these facts before we advanced further into this matter? Is it possible that some of us perhaps forgot a few things about "denying ignorance"?

The reptilian posts made recently, also do not have this proof, yet you still see people running in and saying it's true cause I said so. Isn't that about what the Titor and Serpo madness was? Did we ever investigate the scenarios enough to KNOW for a 100% fact that this person was speaking the truth, undoubtably, undeniably, with enough evidence to back it up as the "757 DID hit the towers" theory?

My ONLY and FINAL question on the matter is, WHY did Serpo, John Titor, all of the other major conspiracies in ATS's past, WHY...did they get more attention than new information on other conspiracies?

What makes a major conspiracy, and why do people choose to believe that conspiracy over others? And in the same case, if we do not believe things without hardcore proof and facts, why did we fall into this Serpo nonsense, and any other conspiracy in the past of this website?...

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Because AboveTopSecret is full of Misinformation Agents and weird people. Things that make sense will be chastized. Things that don't make sense will start cults around here.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
Because AboveTopSecret is full of Misinformation Agents and weird people.

Define "Misinformation Agents" and state why you think this? And what proof you have to give that this is true?

Things that make sense will be chastized. Things that don't make sense will start cults around here.

So, someone with potential real evidence gets more attention than somethign with no evidence, regardless if it makes sense to the common human being?

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo

So, someone with potential real evidence gets more attention than somethign with no evidence, regardless if it makes sense to the common human being?

That's exactly right.

Why?

People on here react with emotion frequently. They feel passionate about some idea, and they charge forth to share their emotional attachment with others.

Strange because they will do so even if the overall conspiracy in question does not "jive" with their personal view. As long as it has an element that they feel passionate about, they will let emotion rule them in that discussion/investigation/ or whatever.

Deny Ignorance is the motto alright; sadly mottos are in the end just words, and putting those words into action is another process altogether.

If we all truly "Denied Ignorance" constantly, then the EBEN-Tastic! nature of things like Serpo wouldn't get nearly as far as they do imho. EDIT- that's not to say it wasn't handled well by the staff here, they did a damn fine job, and several members did such superb investigation and questioning that ATS should be a model for other discussion forums.

Anyways, I'm not preaching to you, you've been here for a long time, and you know how it works, I wanted to elaborate for new members since you made such good points/thoughts.

X

[edit on 19-2-2006 by Xatnys]

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Things that make sense will be chastized. Things that don't make sense will start cults around here.

No, the conspiracies that have the least supporting evidence will get more responses then the one's that are more logical.

Reptilians and john titor get far more discussion here then oil corporations and the government. Most threads are bombarded by people here that make no sense. That is where I got my misinformation campaign from.

There is no proof of reptilians or john titor being credible other then "stories" written by who knows who. If you make a thread on a possible link to police state or government conspiracy you will get alot more chastizement. People are automatically willing to accept the possibility of john titor being a time traveler and reptilians controlling the subterranean then they are willing to accept the possibility of government or corporate conspiracies.

Which is why there are misinformation agents here. People have things to hide and keep from becoming popular conspiracy. I can see why the US government would'nt want people talking about how they are in the pocket of US business. They don't want people talking about simulated terrorism or war's on oil. They want people to talk about aliens and time travelers. Alot less dangerous for them.

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
Because AboveTopSecret is full of Misinformation Agents and weird people.

Define "Misinformation Agents" and state why you think this? And what proof you have to give that this is true?

Here is a tread that may interest you in this subject

Disinformation: ATS's Nemesis.

Proof of 'agents' is something that we can never come by unless they come forward and admit what they are doing.
Because the size and subject matter of ATS it is very likely that such people are among us.

There is also a RATS thread that is related to this. If you would like a link just send me a U2U

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Great thread Umbrax, and thanks everyone for the replies.

I'd like to stick out a question here twords IOW:

Are you saying that you believe that John Titor or others who initiate the general rumors are all disinformation agents, or specifics?

I know we have a new "time traveler" who stating a lot about war. A lot of what gets spread can be tied into the government, which means they're no less speculated than they already were, so how is disinforming with reptilians or John Titor going to help?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with individual personalities than anything else. We have different capacities for understanding sure but we also understand what we want to, in other words what we are interested in.
I used to go to the Randi Rhodes board a long time ago and there was a poster there who was a liberal, inteligent even and yet every time I mentioned the PNAC - which is factual - he would go ballistic to the point he began trolling my posts and threads. Go figure...

[edit on 24-2-2006 by ChatBrat]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I guess again the question has to come about though, is that if you take a look at some of these posts around here, I understand, you've been lurking, and just recently joined CB (Welcome by the way), you'll see that there are some posts sticking far out of the realm of reality, and then like Serpo, and those same people will believe the far out story but not Serpo, or vise versa.

So does it really have to do with personalities, or is there more to it? I guess another question to add with it, is would it have to do with the teenage thing of "I have to fit in the crowd", and being able to fit IN with the crowd you have to discuss what the crowd does? But what accumulates that crowd in the first place, as there are subjects in any department at all times, but you never see it accumulate anything like these other threads do.

top topics

join