It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical new chip design based on magnetism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Scientists are currently moving towards a new design in microchips based upon magnetism. The benefits of such a chip are far reaching, power saving, cooler and of course more powerful. Could this just be a nice piece of brilliance from the scientists or reverse engineering you decide but please read the article.

I believe we have taken another leap forward albeit not as fast as I would like and has the military incorporated this tech already using its radiation hard applications for obvious reasons?

What do you think and any suggestions for usage.?
Will this over the next few years drive down or up costs?

For more info
LINK

www.wired.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Prob one of the most important steps forward in electronics and no takers, disapointed

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think you mentioned the two most important applications, 1) being used in outerspace for sattelites and other space exploration activities 2) being used in portable electronic devices so in conjunction wiht fuel cells and new batteries we should get a laptop that maybe wont need to be recharged for a week?

I dunno i just wanted to post something so you wont lose hope and keep us updated with the good ingofrmation like this article.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
sounds great , but they never mention what the down side might be ?.

besides , the way tech advances this will prob be outdated in no time.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Actually the biggest drain on the battery is by the Display. EInk will hopefully rectify that within a few years.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Magentism is the only way to go.

There used to exist a website (www.mageticenergy.com) that explained how the flow of magnetism needs to be tapped (as they have done here) instead of electricity.

Unfortunately, www.magneticenergy.com has been shut down as they had too much "sensitive" information. If you want to see their website, do a search for wayback.

They've been talking about this for years...

Cheers

JS

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The limits of todays chips is thermal, and gate threshold.

To run a chip faster you must provide more current to open the gates, and the highers peeds means more current over time.

Electrical current always creates heat.

Magnetic fields are a FORCE, not a moving charged particle, and therefore create no heat when moving through a conductive medium.

The problem is that nothing blocks a field other than another field so leakage across circuits is more difficult to deal with.

The Magnetic fields would have to be extremely weak in order to confine them in the paths of a chip circuit.

Structures that block magnetic fields created on a nano scale sounds very interesting....

posted on Feb, 19 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It also keeps moores law ticking over nicely and we can still expect ever faster processors and more powerful computers. If AI could only keep up with technology advances we could see proper Intelligent devices soon, I Robot here we come.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
ArchAngel:

Originally posted by ArchAngel
The limits of todays chips is thermal, and gate threshold.

To run a chip faster you must provide more current to open the gates, and the highers peeds means more current over time.

You'll also find that the another problem the chip manufacturers are having is to do with frequency limits.

Once you get into high fequency circuits (around 3-4GHz I think), you also need to tune each circuit to 1/4 of a wavelength and this means the re-design of CPU's from scratch.

I believe rader detectors are designed this way - each circuit track is "tuned".

Cheers

JS

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
That is an interesting story, thanks
It might work well in combination with the magnetic hard drives I read about awhile back. (I think that was on ATS, but I'm not sure) I had a professor in university who thought the future of computing was optical, and while he may be right, magnetism-based computers seem like an interesting possibility as well. The real question is whether using these magnetic nanoislands will be more space-efficient than using conventional electronic transistors. The article mentions 110nm technology, and Intel has 65nm technology in its processors today, so for the moment, transistors are still smaller. However, given that transistor technology has been around for decades, and the magnetism thing is brand new, and they are already doing that good, they may well surpass the transistor miniaturization with a bit more research. I hope they do, then my games will run better...

new topics

top topics

join