It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Dinosaur

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was searching the web the other day and I found this interesting story about a dinosaur in the jungles of Africa

www.mokelembembe.com...

what do you guys think? Is there really something living in the jungles that has survived extinction?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Very well could be. Even in recent time's we've discovered some species once thought to have been extinct and we're always discovering entirely new species of plants and animal people have never seen before in modern times. There's still alot of land that has gone unexplored, lot's of jungles uncharted, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that some dinosaurs could've survived and adapted to the enviroment of a dense jungle.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
You'd think that after 65 million years or so it would have evolved SOMEWHAT though, and not be exactly the same, or so amazingly close to how they were "back in the day" so to speak.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Interesting, I don't know why there couldn't be a critter like that hiding in the jungle lots of space and places to hide. Consider Bigfoot, Yeti, the Jersey Devil and other such creatures just cause I haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exsist.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
You'd think that after 65 million years or so it would have evolved SOMEWHAT though, and not be exactly the same, or so amazingly close to how they were "back in the day" so to speak.

Maybe, but what if it had no need to evolve? I'm not sure if it actually exist's, but if it had no predators then it wouldn't have had a need to evolve to much. Even still, the crocodile once lived with the dinosaurs and has changed very very little, same with the shark and some other species. And even those species that haven't changed, some do have predators. Including plants too.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

You'd think, but many creatures have stayed roughly the same for a long time.

Personally I doubt a land living dinousaur would have a big enough population to breed though.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by merka]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Yes, well maybe... But let's take into consideration that there are some species numbering only in a few thousand on this planet who are doing just fine. We don't know the exact limit's and there very well could be a lower number allowed by nature.

[edit on 10-2-2006 by Produkt]

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
How easy is it to just tromp through the congo to find one of these things?
Pretty dangerous right? Our planet is huge and we have only investigated and documented a very small part of it, despite what "they" would have you believe. This thing may very well be real.

I hope so...I want one.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
There is already a few good threads on this creature. The following may add some more to the pot. It also adds the url you posted, but has some other interesting takes on the subject from other ATSrs

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It is very possible that there are undiscovered dinosaurs running around all over the world. The one in The Congo is even more feasable considering the nature of the jungle.

Interesting story, and thanks for the link.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Didn’t know there were already threads with that site my bad

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
seems a tad large for jungle life... it'd be banging it's head on branches all day

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yes dinosaurs are all around us. They are also called birds. I guess you mean a classical dinosaur.

Dinosaurs are very competitive and thus i wonder why only 1 of this classic dinosaur kind exists. I think that Dinosaurs are better capable to dominate the world than we mammals.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Even if it was a surviving sauropods Its very doubtful they would be the same as they were 65 million years ago. Its true some animals go millions of years without changing at all but thats only because they fill the same niche for all those millions of years.

There is no way sauropods could occupy the same niche today with vast herds living in open areas.

If mokelembembe is real I would bet on it being something akin to a 30ft aquatic moniter lizard rather then a surviving unchanged sauropod

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Crocodile's are dinosaur's. So are many other 'living fossils'. Some species did survive extinction and have changed very little, if at all.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Crocodiles arent dinosaurs. They are Archosaurs but dinosaurs are a whole different class. Dinosaurs is a class like reptiles are one and mammals are.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
Crocodile's are dinosaur's. So are many other 'living fossils'. Some species did survive extinction and have changed very little, if at all.

They actually got alot smaller some were as big as 40ft during the days of the dinosaurs because they had to kill much bigger prey. But the way they hunt is the same so they have no need to change their body they just got smaller as they didnt have to eat dinosaurs anymore.

Sauropods lived in herds and covered large distances they likely had a fear of nothing when fully grown. They were also not really built for moving through dense forest when full size or wet areas. Theres really no way it could fill that same roll today and not be known.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yes, but not all crocodile species were that large, just as not all dinosaurs were huge. Given the discription in the article, they live mostly in the river's/swamps and uses the lake's to cross from river to river, they don't have to deal with dense jungle conditions as if they were living directly within the jungle. So the living conditions as described don't really rule out the possibility.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Big dinosaurs were not creatures who lived in swamp like conditions just like you wont find allot if any of big mammals there.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Perhaps this particular species adapted to those living conditions. It also show's sign's of evolving. I've never heard of them having a horn before?

This article here gives a different measurment.

www.trueauthority.com...

The body size of each specimen is said to be somewhere between the size of a hippopotamus and an elephant. Its length is reportedly between 16 to 32 feet (5 to 10 meters). The length of the neck, according to various descriptions, is between 5 to 10 feet (1.6 to 3.3 meters). The length of the tail is somewhere between 5 to 10 feet as well, varying slightly.

Overall, this would only be 52 ft in lenth stretched out. When not streched out it's only at most between 21 and 42 feet in length.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join