It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland Listening Post (Google Earth)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a number of years ago , i had the chance to live in Iceland for a good 14 months , in the area of Keflavik. A few km away from that town , along the main and only road around the peninsula there's is huge listening post , 4 roughly rabbit ear shaped white dishes about 20 m high + small structures around them .
Last week being bored at work, i decided to have a look on google earth and was surprised to see that the installation is nowhere to be found .

What pushed me to post this thread is that , meeting a friend of mine last week-end who was in iceland at the same time , we talked about the listening post and he let me know that the negative (we're talking a good ten years ago , digital photography wasn't as widespread) he had taken pics of the listening post on, and had ordered prints of, was only partially returned to him, reason: mechanical problem, negative damage and of course no prints of the post .

So if you know about any other similar cases please post and let' see what comes up

if you have google earth , it's the north western tip of the reykjanes peninsula
here's a pic

Admin edit to make thread title more descriptive

[edit on 27-1-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Isn't Keflavik a major NATO airbase?

I wouldn't be surprised the rabbit ear dishes you describe were connected to NORAD, as part of the ICBM Early Warning System.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Iceland is or at least was a major part of the SOSUS network of underwater sonar listening posts. There was and probably are underwater sensors to detect subs in the ocean. Might have something to do with the shacks. And the antennae are relays or something.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tek_604
Isn't Keflavik a major NATO airbase?

it is indeed, the international airport is built on the same area

[edit on 30-1-2006 by Hvitserk]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sledhead
Iceland is or at least was a major part of the SOSUS network of underwater sonar listening posts. There was and probably are underwater sensors to detect subs in the ocean. Might have something to do with the shacks. And the antennae are relays or something.

as far as i know the underwater listening systems are made of buoy arrays or fixed listening devices on the sea ground connected to transmitters , these antennae were of the "dish type"

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Is this what you were looking for?

It's a little north of the airbase, and is actually tagged in Google Earth as "US radar" or something along those lines.

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Baseball pitch (or whatever you call it) - always a giveaway

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4for4
Is this what you were looking for?

It's a little north of the airbase, and is actually tagged in Google Earth as "US radar" or something along those lines.

nope not at all these are "golfball" type radomes as stated the ones i know can best be described as clipped off rabbit ears probably not the best technical description

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The Naval Security Group had a HFDF site there that closed in 1994.

Naval Air Station Keflavik is the host comand for the NATO base there.

The station is supposed to close by 30 Sept 2006. But NATO may still keep a presence there since Iceland has no military.

www.washingtonpost.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.estripes.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
The Naval Security Group had a HFDF site there that closed in 1994.

Naval Air Station Keflavik is the host comand for the NATO base there.

The station is supposed to close by 30 Sept 2006. But NATO may still keep a presence there since Iceland has no military.

www.washingtonpost.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.estripes.com...

well that was a fast move to say the least , Keflavik and Njardvik populations are going to be impacted heavily jobwise , but the idea of multinational NATO force sounds good only thing is who is going to spend the money anyway .....

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
before everyone reaches for tin foil hats , i would suggest that the instalation you saw " several years ago " may have become a ` victim ` of techological advances / and or / changing political climates .

the " clipped rabit ear " antena 20m high that you saw many moons ago - may now be obsolete - and no longer needed -- or have been replaced with newer more advanced lattice type antena - which would not show up on GE

or they may have been part of a " chain " - and now due to tech advances fewer stations are needed

etc etc

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
So how were the vegetables over there Hvit? The soils clean, isn't ruined by chemicals like US soil is. Beer ok? & was it real windy often?

Thinking of heading there myself, but the Trolls have me somewhat nervous.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by Black Sword]

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
GO THERE !!!!

fresh fruit and veggies extremely expensive (most imported) , beer fantastic (they only have 3-4 brands from 1-2 local breweries plus all the import)

here , memorise this one : Einn bjór, takk (a beer , thanks) , and get ready to spend something like 8 € for a pint of guinness in pubs around Reykjavik

Windy hmmmm let me remember if i had even half a day without any wind ......

(don't go there without a really good windbreaker and/or heavy duty raingear if you're planning on staying out for a few hours a day )
but weather in general is not as bad as believed , just intense.

Trolls are ok after a few rounds of brennivin (local schnaps) very decent in fact, but they drink way to much

if you need any specific info .......

top topics

join