It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about Content Tagging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Okay... so I was just messing around with the content tagging system. One feature I checked out was the 'Giant Page of ATS content tags.'

One of the tags listed is actually my user name... mattison0922.

Being the curious type, I search for threads with "mattison0922" in the content tag.

The first one is a link to this thread. The content tag specifically is "mattison0922 is a f&%$@#! fag." without the symbols, of course. Guess the censors missed that one, huh? That one is kind of funny...

The second one actually concerns me a little more... the second one is a content tag of specifically "mattison0922." This is linked to a 'Moderators Only' Forum, and more specifically to a thread entitled: FSME Post Alert: Post by mattison0922.

Now... I thought both of these were kind of strange, but the last one... the more I thought about it, the less comfortable I became with it. I searched some other members... just kind of people I am familiar with... I noted that no one else I searched had such an honor bestowed upon them, and certainly none which alluded to specific sexual acts of a specific sexual orientation.

Perhaps this is a 'perk' included with my scholar status?

Whoops! Probably a glitch in the Beta system that will likely be resolved... sooner rather than later probably now.

No... Ummmm... seriously mods... wtf?

Why is there a specific 'moderators only' forum wherein a specific thread is active that notifies the FSME's when I post?

Man... I'd really like to see what's contained in that thread....

[edit on 21-1-2006 by mattison0922]

[edit on 22-1-2006 by mattison0922]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If you look at the tags for that thread at the bottom of that thread, you´ll see that the tag you mentioned is not there anymore. I assume it was removed and whoever did it received a 1,000 points penalty (and the risk of getting banned if he/she repeated the offense. I´m just guessing here. If the tag has not been removed yet from the "Giant Page of ATS content tags" as well, it would be an error.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
If you look at the tags for that thread at the bottom of that thread, you´ll see that the tag you mentioned is not there anymore. I assume it was removed and whoever did it received a 1,000 points penalty (and the risk of getting banned if he/she repeated the offense. I´m just guessing here. If the tag has not been removed yet from the "Giant Page of ATS content tags" as well, it would be an error.

I did actually note this... probably should've posted it in the original thread. I think that would've fallen under the heading 'glitch in the beta system.'

Like I said... I was more bothered in principle by the other thread.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by mattison0922]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattison0922

Like I said... I was more bothered in principle by the other thread.

I´m sorry, but I can´t answer that. I don´t have access to that forum either. I have no idea what that second thread is about.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think that when a staff member thinks that one of your posts may have crossed a line of some kind or another, there is a button they can push. Then it makes a post in the mod forum so they can all look at it and give an opinion on what to do, if anything.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Your username is not anywhere in these tags:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search feature is apparently returning removed tags (the one you mentioned was removed, and the tagging member penalized). This will be repaired soon.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I think that when a staff member thinks that one of your posts may have crossed a line of some kind or another, there is a button they can push. Then it makes a post in the mod forum so they can all look at it and give an opinion on what to do, if anything.

I would think that these type of infractions would fall under the realm of moderator... not the realm of the Forum Subject Matter Expert. The FSME isn't typically charged with correcting infractions of 'crossing the line,' so to speak, are they? I've never seen any evidence of this. I would think the thread would be entitled Moderator Alert: post by mattison0922, not FSME Alert.

I wonder does such an 'FSME Alert' button exist as you postulate?

In the recent past, I've received... maybe one 20 point reduction for making a 'one-liner' post... this certainly isn't something the FSME should be dealing with.... at least I wouldn't think so. *shrug*

[edit on 22-1-2006 by mattison0922]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
No they don't correct actions or hand out punishments or anything like that. I just seem to recall reading somewhere on the boards that FSME and perhaps even councilors have a special button to alert the mods to a post. The mods would be the ones that would decide if there was a problem though.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   

No they don't correct actions or hand out punishments or anything like that. I just seem to recall reading somewhere on the boards that FSME and perhaps even councilors have a special button to alert the mods to a post. The mods would be the ones that would decide if there was a problem though.

Hmmm... I suppose that sounds reasonable... I still think it's weird though... I've searched a bunch of other members usernames now, including mods, etc. No one else is coming up with an FSME Alert. I've even tried to track down some people with recent warnings. So far... no other members have an FSME alert... including those with warnings.

Perhaps an FSME will speak up and set the record straight.

I could be being paranoid, and perhaps overanalyzing the situation, but what the hell... this is ATS, the internet's greatest conspiracy theory forum.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Your username is not anywhere in these tags:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just clicked on your link and found it there...

hold on let me check again....

yep... still there.

Look again.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I could always been wrong. It's happened before.

If you've never gotten a warning for anything then a one line, it probably wasn't a big deal or anything bad. But I would probably wonder too, if I were you.

Edited to add: The other tag searches you are running would only show up if the thread was tagged. My guess is that it came up in a random list of 500 posts that need tags and because the member couldn't view the thread, they just tagged it with your name.

[edit on 22-1-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I could always been wrong. It's happened before.

If you've never gotten a warning for anything then a one line, it probably wasn't a big deal or anything bad. But I would probably wonder too, if I were you.

Nope... I've never rec'd a formal warning for anything except the one-liner... and possibly one other 20 point infraction...

I was caught in that temporary member ban awhile back perpetrated by a member, but I doubt they're related.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Since we're speculating...

If there is a magical FSME Alert button and it was used on a member, it wouldn't show up in a search unless you already had privledges to view it. But I know from first-hand experience that they were/are showing up in the '500 random threads that need tags' lists. A member tagged it with your name because they couldn't view the thread.

That's the only reason you even know it exists.

Maybe.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   

If there is a magical FSME Alert button and it was used on a member, it wouldn't show up in a search unless you already had privledges to view it. But I know from first-hand experience that they were/are showing up in the '500 random threads that need tags' lists. A member tagged it with your name because they couldn't view the thread.

That's the only reason you even know it exists.

Maybe.

Could be.... though I wish someone in a position of authority would speak up and resolve this issue. Then we wouldn't have to speculate

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I don't see what the issue is.

The FSME-alert thread resulted in a u2u to you, for which you responded, and was resolved nicely.

The other tag was removed, and the tagger penalized.

Other than the search feature returning disabled tags, I don't see a problem here.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I don't see what the issue is.

Just curious

The FSME-alert thread resulted in a u2u to you, for which you responded, and was resolved nicely.

Okay... great! I don't really recall receiving a u2u from an FSME or whatever, and I can't recall what the u2u was for... but I guess if it was resolved... cool.

The other tag was removed, and the tagger penalized.

Yeah... the other tag was less of a concern... and was actually somewhat entertaining.

Other than the search feature returning disabled tags, I don't see a problem here.

Didn't say there was a problem.... said I was curious to know what was contained in the FSME Alert thread that I was the subject of... irrespective of the fact that it was resolved the satisfaction of the ATS authorities... I am still curious to be honest. Am I being paranoid... I don't think so... I was just curious.... even if I was being paranoid... I am logged on to ATS.

top topics

join