It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast -> East Coast Relocation Dilemma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Okay, here's a quick background before I get to the problem. A friend of the family owns a company, and he's wanting my fiance and I to get involved. Pay's great, good benefits, and maybe in 5-10 years we'd be running the show. Sounds great--we're in a kinda tight financial spot right now (which I take most of the blame for, but that's a topic for another thread)--and neither of us really have another job to speak of. She's working as kind of a temp for them at the moment, so if we accept it's no big change for her. I'm coming off of running my own business, working my own schedule and making my own rules, so it's a bit different for me but I can work with it.

The problem is that within the next year or so, they're wanting to move the company to Rhode Island--it's currently in Washington State, about half an hour south of Olympia for anyone who knows the area. I've only been reasonably across the Mississippi once, to Florida when I was 9 or 10 for my grandfather's birthday. I've been to New Orleans a few times, and even if that counts it's still a bit different an area than New England.

The main thing I'm curious about is how different everything is. I've heard a lot of people talk about the cost of living being much higher (although income generally offsets that), the winters being terrible, and just the general mentality of the east coast being tremendously different from the west coast. Is there anyone here who's made the move--east to west or west to east--who could give me any ideas of what to expect? I really appreciate any feedback at all on this; I don't necessarily mind going even if it's kind of a stupid move, but I'd at least like to know what I'm getting into.

Edit: changed the title to make it a bit more obvious what the issue is (hoping for a better chance at a reply)

[edit on 1/20/2006 by MCory1]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I can't tell you anything about RI, but I have lived in the Pacific Northwest (I know right where you are!), the Desert SouthWest, the midwest, the West coast and the Gulf coast and I'm really glad and feel fortunate to have lived so many places.

Even if it's terrible, you could handle it for a few years and I'm sure there are many things about the area that you would love. I lived in Phoenix for 10 years and HATED the summer.

I guess my point is that taking advantage of such a change is a fun thing to do. I moved from Phoenix to Portland without a home, job or anything and it was an excellent experience. I found my husband there!

Just my view. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
For one thing, the politics in the North east are better- that is, jobs seem more secure, schools are nice, i feel a lot freer here than i did in Arizona. But that was Arizona. Too many rules, pay was bad, employers treat you like dirt. (This is my opinion)

I'm in Massachusetts, but go to Rhode Island mostly to fly out of TFGreen to Arizona to go visit my mother. Its hilly and nice. Its got good sections and bad as well. I dont know where precisely you are thinking of moving to. The housing costs more, but you also get paid more. Newport is beautiful, the mansions are fabulous. Theres a lot of tourism in the summer.

If you can stand cold and snow in the winter, i think you will like it.

I am sure if you make the move, you will adapt. Sounds to me like you have the opportunity for a bright future. Do some searches on Google for pictures and pricing rentals or to buy. That will also give you an idea.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If it was me, I'd fly and check out the area where I might be living. Maybe even more than one trip.

I spend a fair amount of time in New England on business and I like everything about it except the winters.

Expect culture shock though.

top topics

join