It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

330 mpg! Now thats efficiency.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Accelerated Composites is the company that is planning on disrupting the status que.

and is planning on selling there very efficient diesel/electric car called the Aptera.

For under 20 grand you could buy a 2 seater, 3 wheeler, 330mpg automobile.
Made from carbon composites, so its light, yet strong.
I think the catch though is that you have to be seen in public with it.

330mpg hybrid

I'm all for fuel efficiency, but I would rather it look better. appartenly the builder seems to think it looks good.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
For me, this kind of prototype are made to "distract" us from the real improvement...

Think about the water engines... if they start to sell it, who would care about consuming less? (it burns water (2H2+O2) and produce water (-> 2 H2O). Who knows why each time someone comes with a great improvement in that direction. He dies someway, or they put him in jail... (guess I'm speaking of).

Let's see what will happen to the Perendev's engine... it's developing in Europe (Germany), so maybe they is a little [size=-4]little hope that it comes on the market...

[edit on 19/1/2006 by Lillo]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lillo
Think about the water engines... if they start to sell it, who would care about consuming less? (it burns water (2H2+O2) and produce water (-> 2 H2O).

“it burns water (2H2+O2) and produce water (-> 2 H2O)”

No. It burns hydrogen to produce water.

There are a number of problems with the use of hydrogen as a fuel.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
this is the same problem with hybrid and electric vehicles they model them after sci-fi movies thinking that since the cars concept is futuristic so should its body be, thus in turn alienating a lot of ppl who would otherwise purchase the vehicles if not for their appaling design. Me for one, last thing i need is to pull up in a car looking like this as much as i want to do my part to sticking it ot the oil companies and more importantly treading lightly on the environment and nature.

Please someone tell us why these cars have to be shaped so ridicously.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Because it is a concept car
This is a technology demostration, nothing more and nothing less.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Good on them if they can make it fly.....

Carbon has been in a big shortage recently and costly as oil is a feedstock. If aluminium honeycomb maybe cheaper but I would not say that the big boys have passed on doing this - it really is costly (multiple autoclave cycles, material cost, skilled composite labor, etc.). We see this in the sailboat industry as well and limits uptake on only the most expensive racers - and that industry has had automated cloth laying machines for years - kevlar/carbon is about 5/10 times more expensive than fiberglass just in raw material cost....

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Because it is a concept car
This is a technology demostration, nothing more and nothing less.

yeah, but the point of concept cars is to test and see what the publics reaction to it is. The majority of concept cars look awesome.

personally...I really like the New/Retro Dodge Challenger!!!

But if you going for fuel economy, and dont want a car that looks like the Aptera, then check out this. Ford showed off the "Reflex", last week at the Detroit Auto Show, its gets 65mpg & delivers in performance.

apc

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Uhm... I'm guessing it looks like that because a teardrop is a near perfect 3 dimensional shape for minimal drag.

And if you want 330mpg, you need the absolute least amount of drag possible.

Just a guess...

I'm still not too keen on it though. Carbon composites... hate to get in a wreck. Thing will tear in half sending you flying in multiple directions.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yes they need to make it look alot more conventional than that to succeed.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This is a great concept car: Alfa Brera! It went on the comerce this year!

This is the comercial version

[edit on 20/1/2006 by Lillo]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I think it looks prettey decent, that 330 mpg car.

If it were reasonably priced, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one to commute to work. Why not?

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Aelita]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
it's time to change fuel!! We have only one planet!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

number one being that it puts all the current 'playas' out of business, and wrests the publics' true freedom from their oily grip.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lillo
it's time to change fuel!! We have only one planet!

The change is going towards hybrids. Fuel cells or course will still be funded and more R&D as well as some might even go into very low production...But the fuel cell powered car wont really begin to sink its teeth into the car market until at least 2015. Ford alone is planning on selling over 250,000 hybrid vehicles by 2010.

BTW...Resize your pictures...make sure they are under 700 pixels wide.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
this is great, when can i get one?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

Originally posted by HowardRoark

number one being that it puts all the current 'playas' out of business, and wrests the publics' true freedom from their oily grip.

Really? Have you actually done your research on this? If you had you would realize we would not see much of a pollution savings and well frankely Plug-In Flexi-Fuel Hybrids are the Future not Fuel cell cars which are the distraction IMO. The Future is electric not Hydrogen and frankely if we were to switch over to a H2 economy it would beneift the likes of Exxon and BP as they can control stuff that flows through pipelines(ei Water, H2). They cannot control electricity especially with Wind/Solar finally starting to come into its own and it all comes down to efficiency, Electrolysing H2 is still expensive even with recent breakthroughs, its much more efficient to plug in your car into an outlet in your house and if you don't want to pay the power companies squat then start putting up dozens of solar panels and wind turbines on your property.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 21-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure some areas would prohibit you from sticking huge turbines on your property if they extend up far enough. All these energy efficient cars are focused towards city-dwelling people, completely ignoring those out in rural areas. These things might get xxx mpg but where are the work vehicles that can pull a full wagon of hay, move a ton of fertalizer or hook up to the livestock trailers? One more way to illustrate how this whole trend of earth-friendly only applies when the problem its supposedly fixing is in your face, when its not nobody cares.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The new and hopefully built by 2008 chevy camaro with 400 hp and 40mpg.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by I See You]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
so when is this car supposed to hit the market?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
All the pics put up by people here are real nice and all but the most important question here is :
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST ?
If all these fancy cars are cheap enough for the average person to afford then I would say this is a good thing, if not then their is no point in bringing out more of these things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join