It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing weight?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for dropping some weight. I am 5'10", and weigh 240. I have a naturally stocky body and the doctor said I should get down to 210 based on my body type. Anyone have any tips about how I should go about this. I would like to get back to how I was in high school, college does terrible things to your body haha. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Ludachris, try this one out - I did it in the run up to xmas and lost 7lb in a week: -

Breakfast: a banana and an apple

Lunch: a banana (plus a few apples/pears to snack on through the day)

Main meal: A stir fry consisitng of 1 cup wholegrain rice, an egg and a drizzle of vegetable oil made into egg fried rice, and some stir fried vegetables (inluding a chopped onion) with spices, chillies, and a splash of soy sauce to make it less boring.

To drink: only water, and as much of it as possible!

For the first couple of days I wanted to kill someone, obviously coming down from the processed sugar! After that its plain sailing, the bananas and rice ensure you dont go hungry, and the only fat you eat is from the vegetable oil you fry your rice and veg in.

I also made sure I walked 5-7 miles a day too.

Give it a try and see how you get on. I hope it works as well for you!

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Paul]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Running. This burns off stupid amounts of calories, and slow down on the weights as well. 20 minutes every couple of days should be fine. If you not used to running, try walking round the block/estate first and build it up to jogging first.

Try lighter weights and more repitions, this way your muscles with still burn off those calories but you won't be putting on any more muscle mass (remember, muscle weighs more than fat!).

For eating, I usually eat grilled chicken breast spice it up with...um..spices
and chilli's - maybe try a lemon and herbs - anything to spice it up. Tuna is good as well, try it with pasta and (a little bit) of light mayo with red onions and peppers.

Cut down on bread, try eating pitta breads with fillings like grilled chicken and tomato.

Have a look round when it comes to cooking meals, be imaginative, you can come up with some really healthy meals that taste quite nice!

The only problem I come across with is...Um...beer. It's usually 300 calories a pint...and I love it!

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I seem to have put on weight since I left sixth form (college). I finally decided I wanted to lose a stone or two last weekend and so since Monday 9th January, I exercise thirty minutes on a morning and evening and I've also made a diet plan. I cut all the crap out of my diet and now I eat one slice of toast in a morning (breakfast is the most important meal of the day), an apple at lunch and a pretty "normal" dinner, but I ensure I don't eat fatty foods.

Since Monday I have lost about half a stone (seven lbs).

Oh yeah, one more thing, drink PLENTY of water. By plenty I mean about 7 pints a day.

Factory Lad
The only problem I come across with is...Um...beer. It's usually 300 calories a pint...and I love it!

I feel your pain, man. I really do.
After I had been out getting drunk, I used to run home (or try to) cause I was afraid of putting on weight.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This site is quite usefull.

Tip 1: Find out how many calories you need (BMR Basal Metabolic Rate)
(Body Weight (lb) x 15) + (moderate activity (mins/day) x 3.5) = BMR in kcal

Since you wish to lose weight, deduct you BMR by 500 kcal

For instance, you weigh 140 lb and you perform 20 mins of moderate activity every day. BMR of this example = (140 x 15) + (20 x 3.5) = 2100 + 70 = 2170 kcal. BMR minus 500kcal; it would be 2170 - 500 = 1670 kcal. Therefore 1670 kcal is the target in this example to losing 1 lb per week.

Tip 2: Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day
Fruits and vegetables are packed with beneficial fibers, vitamins and antioxidants. They fill up your stomach fast so you feel full earlier. They are also low in calories and helps to keep your calorie count low.
Source

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88I feel your pain, man. I really do.
After I had been out getting drunk, I used to run home (or try to) cause I was afraid of putting on weight.

My friend does this quite a lot. Only problem is he wonders why he always wakes up with scraped hands and knees in the morning after a night down the boozer

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
lmao.
Quality drunken fun. I always seem to end up with mud on my clothes and face.

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
My co worker lost a few pounds by just following three simple rules:

1) Eat whatever you want in small portions. Dont stuff yourself.

2) Avoid eating anything ( not even juice which has tons of sugar) in the 2-4 hour period before going to bed.

3) Drink a glass of water before any meal. It helps in many ways and you may feel fuller with little food.

I have been trying to gain weight, yes quite the opposite, for a long time. Finally acchieved my optimal weight. I usually maintain my intake of foods rich in protein and fiber and I have a natural aversion to sugar so it does help.

Avoiding sugar is probably the best thing you can do.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You should walk as much as you can. People really underestimate how much energy you use for this!

And as other say, cut down on sugar, especially soda.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Me personally ~ I find that running burns alot of excess calories and helps you to lose weight. I don't really have a weight problem so my input might now really help any but running will definitely help. Perhaps you can also manage your diet too ~ try to eat alot of vegetables and stay away from fatty foods. Lots of fruit is always a plus ~ and rather than picking up a soda grab yourself a nice glass of water instead. Hopefully you'll start seeing your weight decrease and you'll have alot more energy ... Good Luck to ya

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yeah, well said Thedayafter!

A few years ago, I was quite fat and so I ran everynight (about 15 mins) for 2 months and I lost soooooo much weight. It was well worth it.

Diet is very important, too. No point in doing all that exercise and just throwing it all away by eating what I call, crap.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Exercise... specially aerobic exercise, like running or even step classes, if you got good knees and back GO FOR IT ! thats so acelarate your metabolism... than just do some grilled kind of diet, with salads and fruits.. don't go nuts on it to start otherwise your body will start craving sugary things, and you don't want to do that... another good way to keep anice diet going is, the weeked reward... diet during the week, and get sloppy on the weekends... 2 days don't do much of a damage ... but DONT FORGET THE EXERCISE !!!!! without that, there is no miracle diet.

Also you can try Pilates, it builds up your power house, and leans the muscles... and its absoulte torture

[edit on 10-2-2006 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Feb, 14 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Second all the advice about food, plenty of water etc - exercise is good also seems to help stablise weight/eating patterns. I took up regular gym work, managed to lose a fair amount of weight, thing is keeping it up, find something that you like doing !

Oh and also working in walks, taking stairs over a lift etc into your daily routine will help.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Thanks for all the info guys, Ive been doing the following for about a month now. Playing a LOT of basketball, doing light weights on machines, and drinkiing lots of water and not eating so much bread proucts. Ive lost a 8 lbs, so I'm truckin. I'm getting there I read somewhere that it isnt healthy to loose a lot of weight all at once, healthy loss is about a lb. a week, I'm a little over that but pretty close. I'm feeeling great. Thanks for all of the answers guys.

top topics

join