It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brown Recluse Spider

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I don't know if this is the correct catagory so move it Mods if it isn't.
My daughter was bitten by a spider and the drs are saying its a Brown Recluse bite.
It is on her back. She is 35 yrs old and in alot of pain .
The bite is small but the surrounding area is as big as the palm of my hand and very red.
She is at the drs office right now and I'm very worried about her.
Does anyone know anything about this spider?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Not to be alarming but we have a bunch of them here in Texas. I knew a guy that got bitten by one and he was out of commision for a time. It's a bad spider to be bitten by.

That being said, your daughter is in good hands. The doctors will take care of it.
If your daughter was a child then you would probably need to be more worried, but a 35 y/o should recover no problem.

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Dr Love,
Thank you , I feel better about it now.
They put her on antibiotics and pain pills. This happened last week and the place where she was bitten is coming to a head and draining now and she says the pain is not as bad .
Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Their poison is probably the worst of any spider you can find in North America, but I don't know of a single instance where a healthy adult died from a brown recluse bite. An interesting side note is their range..it seems to have increased dramatically in just a few years. They used to be confined to the southern states, Kansas and such. But now we've got tons of them in northern MA.

Here's some information for you to read, but I think your daughter will be just fine. It may take some time to heal completely, but most bites do, so don't worry.

ohioline.osu.edu...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
WyrdeOne thank you for the information.
We live in Central Florida. She had her apartment sprayed by a pest control company but I always heard that its very difficult to kill spiders with a chemical.
Is there anything we can do to try and eliminate the spiders from her apartment and is there anything that will kill them?

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Don't worry too much, MagicaRose. First off, doctors can't be sure which kind of spider it was unless you bring the critter with you to the doctor's office.
If it was a recluse bite, they may need to remove some tissue around the bite. Recluse spider bites (both brown and gold) cause the surrounding flesh to die. The necrotic flesh must be removed, or the venom could spread to living tissue. (it doesn't multiply or anything, it just moves on to healthy tissue) Severe cases might require skin grafts.

My uncle was bitten by (what the hospital believed to be) a brown recluse. He ignored the bite for about 10 days. The hospital had to remove the infected area -skin, muscle, and a bit of bone- and give him skin grafts to cover the area. It was about the size of a peach.

I'm not trying to scare you, just want you to be informed. IMHO, if she was bitten last week, and she doesn't have noticeable dead skin; then she'll be fine.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'm having a fairly bad case of Black Widows in my house - and one of the big reccomendations I've read is to remove cardboard boxes from the house - spiders love the smell of them apparently.

My wife and I are in the process of transferring all our archives into plastic containers and metal file cabinets.

But fortunately bites by Black Widows and Brown Recluses are fairly rare - just make sure to check your clothes and covers befor getting ito them.

I hope your daughter has a quick recovery from her bite - the back is probably alot better place to be bit then near the head or a major artery.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
We had a problem with spiders in our house, we dont have poiseness spiders here tho, what i did was seald all the joints between the floor and the walls with Silocon and all other gaps. This seems to help alot, might be worth a try.

Pickle.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is all good information. She and her boys were unpacking alot of boxes last week before she was biten. I think you may be right about the cardboard boxes.
I'm going to tell her to get rid of all of them and ask my husband if he will seal up all the crack and crevices in her apartment and our house too.
She's not back from the dr yet. She has been there since 9:30am .
I think she may have to be under a drs care for awhile, but I hope not.
She is a single Mom and has to work.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I hope she is ok, i know how bad it can be to be out of work due to illness ( i had a realy bad blood infection, caused by getting stung by a 'greater weaver fish', look it up its a nasty little nemo). Please let us know how it turns out, otherwise i will be worring and have to chase you down with a U2U, lol.

Pickle.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
MagicaRose

If it's any consolation those pain pills should keep her in good spirits while she recovers from this ordeal.

BTW, I googled "Brown Recluse Spider" and saw some horrific pictures of necrosis. Not for the faint of heart. The doctors got to your daughter early enough so no worries about necrosis I'm sure.

Peace

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
They're a surprisingly common spider. Bites are fairly rare because they're not an aggressive animal, but they do indeed bite humans. However, ask her to keep an eye on the wound and go back to the doctor PROMPTLY if the bite area seems to get worse.

Here's a good factsheet about them, the bite, and symptoms:
ohioline.osu.edu...

Here's some stuff about misidentifications of recluse bite:
spiders.ucr.edu...

Here's a consumer site (WARNING: GRAPHIC MEDICAL PICTURES):
www.highway60.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
My daughter was bitten few years back by the brown recluse while sun tanning in the yard.

It left a nasty mark and a quick trip to the emergency room, she got also antibiotics and they did a swap of the area.

The area affected got red and purple and got as big as one dollar coin.

The mark stayed for years and even to this day whenever she let hot water fall in the area it gets pink.

She also have problems with black widows in her dorm and since the bite from the brown recluse she has gotten very scare of them.

They are very common here in GA so she just needs to keep everything clean and dusted.

Hopefully your daughter experience will be over and she will be fine.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I just want to let you all know that she is feeling better but the bite is starting to look bad.
Her dr put her on stronger antibiotics and more pain pills.
She was bitten on her back so we are helping her with it.
I have a feeling that this bite is going to look alot worse before it heals. I hope she doesn't have to have skin graphs.
Thanks to all of you for talking to me and reassuring me about this and I've been telling her everything you all have said.
I printed out the links that you have posted and I'm giving her all of this valuable information.
Thanks for all of your concern.

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Good to hear that she feels better, i do agree that i will get worse before better it always does(the law of sods). just keep the wound clear and kepp her spirits up, the last one is always the best medicine.
My thoughts are with her.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Personally, i have to disagree with you as to whether the brown recluse is aggressive or not. Unfortunately, they are pretty common here in Kentucky, I can go in my basement and find at least 3 nests right now. I keep killing them and they keep coming back. hard lil buggers to get rid of.

Last week, i was making the usual rounds of killing them (i've found a can or hairspray and a lighter works best
). As I was spraying one particular nest, a fairly large nest with a fairly large spider (bigger than a half dollar), the bugger jumped at me.

Yes they are generally passive spiders, hence the recluse title, but when agitated or cornered, they will go on the attack...

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
My ex was bitten on his foot by a brown recluse spider, after it came out of some boxes he was unpacking at work, and crawled into his shoe.
He suffered swelling of his foot, which turned various unnatural colors, and had fever and cold sweats, and the shakes.
He was admitted to the hospital and underwent 4 days of aggressive IV treatment. The infection started spreading up his leg, and was found to have given him blood poisoning as well. He took a few weeks to heal, but his foot to this day is still purple.
This was a worse case scenario.

We should just never underestimate something as tiny as a spider.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by AccessDenied]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Tch, you people complain about so called ''scars'' still being visible to this day because something turns pink or whatever.

My whole body turns bloody red or gray or purple or pink or white depending on the weather, in different sections, and I was born with it.

Regardless, most vids of a Brown Recluse spider bite aren't that bad, they usually involve lots and lots of pus or whatever it's supposed to be coming out though, and the area of infection turning into a giant bump.
In only one vid have I ever seen someone get a giant almost onyx-carapace like skincolor.

Most sites, same story, they usually describe it as being a nasty but rarely fatal thing (as long as you go to the hospital at least.)

But since you did that my guess is the same as most in here, she should be fine eventually. (Though the location of the bite might sometimes affect the severity of the infection / symptoms.)

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The date on the original post is over 2 years old.

I wonder how this turned out.

[edit on 11/4/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I hail from NJ and my brother was bit on the cheek while sleeping when he was a teenager. He had the most horrid scar for years but it is mostly gone now.

If you are not weak of heart, do a Google serach for brown recluse spider bites.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join