It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Violent Crime Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I know I will probably fall foul of the double posting rules for doing this, but my other associated thread fizzled out.

For all those nay sayers who doubted that the UN report on first world violence was anything more than a figment of my imagination, it seems that the BBC (no less) picked it up.

Read and enjoy.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The image of the amiable Jocks is forever shattered.

[edit on 2-1-2006 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Back for another bite at the cherry Winchester?

A survey is always going to be worth a look but a single survey with disputed methodology isn't quite the 'knock-out blow' you seem to imagine.

......and your reluctance to actually quote what was said speaks volumes (when you see what was said); for instance -

The study found that, excluding murder(!), Scots were almost three times as likely to be assaulted as Americans.

- Hmmmm, excluding actually getting killed eh?

.....senior Scots police officers criticised the study.

The survey concluded that 2,000 Scots were attacked every week. That figure is 10 times the number recorded in official police figures.

- Surprise surprise, a vast disparity with the official figures and one that senior cops will not accept.

The study, based on telephone interviews conducted between 1991 and 2000

- A single phone survey is your conclusive 'evidence'?!

the president of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland (Acpos), Peter Wilson, said that the "general picture" of Scotland around the world was "not one of a violent country".

He said: "I would question the compatibility of figures and the methods used in this particular survey because it must be near impossible to compare assault figures from one country to the next based on phone calls.

- The (ignored) voice of reason in all of this.

Nevermind, on with your crusade, huh?

[edit on 3-1-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I believe you were one of those who asked for a link, I merely provided it. If it does nothing more than promote some (more) sarcasm from you, then I suspect it was the right link, as that's usually a good Litmus Test for your efforts.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
it does nothing more than promote some (more) sarcasm from you, then I suspect it was the right link, as that's usually a good Litmus Test for your efforts.

- If all I had done was poke sarcastic fun at your post you might have a point.

However I did not just do that.

I pointed out a hugely germane caveat in your claims (the actually getting killed part) and also I quoted the reasonable and pertinent comments by some of the UK's most senior Police.

top topics

join