It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

x-15

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Anyone got any decent pics/info on the X-15?
I know it goes mach 6+, and flies 300+ thousand feet above the surface, but that's all....
any info in general is appreciated
thanks

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
www.dfrc.nasa.gov...

heres a link to some pics on the X-15

i dont know much about it though
looks pretty cool !!

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
it's an amazing aircraft, just not much use in a military context, able to fly powered for like 120 seconds, max...

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Actually it had zero military functions and was a pure X plane (and, when I say 'X plane' I use the phrase in the traditional sense, not the way some use it around here to denote classified military craft).

It and the X-24 were direct conceptual ancestors to the space shuttle and various X-Prize concepts.

Some of its pilots were awarded astronaut's wings after the program ended, as they technically flew (on some occasions) into 'space'.

posted on Sep, 28 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
X for eXperiment.

eXperimental-planes.

Learn this and you will be better off..

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Where does the earth's atmosphere offically end?
I hear the plane flies like 50+ miles up, which is tremendous, but is that past the earth's atmosphere?
Would there be any way to utilize such power for significantly longer amounts of times, so that it could be used for.. say... spy planes?

btw, how fast did the u-2 fly?

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:50 AM
link   
120 or 180 km above the earth.. there starts the space..

And the u-2 really doesnt fly that high and not that fast..

Something like 25000m and 650km/h.

(these are 'close' figures, not the actual max:s.. i just dont have the energy to get me a book and look the actuals..)

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:03 AM
link   
You can always pay this site's X-15 page a visit:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yeah X-15, the rocket-plane...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Read the book: At the Edge of Space: The X-15 Flight Program by Milton O. Thompson.

I read this book a few years back and he talks about what it was like to work in the X-15 program. There is also a table in the back of the book on every flight that was flown and what experiments were performed.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   
www.stenbergaa.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandit
X for eXperiment.

eXperimental-planes.

Learn this and you will be better off..

Yes, I know this. My point is that some people around here refer to classified craft as 'X-Planes'.

Before you correct someone, read what they wrote.

(OIMD says, "I miss college. The people there were actually capable of holding a conversation.")

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There was a NOVA episode called The Rocket Pilots, was a very good documentary on the complete evolution of the X-15

A total of 8 X-15 pilots were awarded Astronaut wings when thier missions exceeded 280,000 feet altitude, and the wings no longer generated aerodynamic lift, running on a completely ballistic course at that point.

Peter Knight still holds the official record for high speed with a powered aircraft, at Mach 6.3. During these speed trials, several then-new technologies were tested including various ablative coatings for heat shields. Many of these tests endangered the aircraft and pilot, including have 2 windshields fracture in flight, the entire ventral fin and retro rocket burning off inflight, and numerous other failures that the pilots were lucky to walk away from.

On one landing, the main airframe cracked immediately in front of the fuel tanks, and right behind the cockpit. The piolt had his spine crushed so severely that he actually lost an inch in height.

For my money, the X-15 pilots deserved far more recognition than they did (most of thier research was done with no public recognition or media coverage). These pilots were actually flying into and out of space well before the actual "Space Program" began. Even then, after the new "True" Astronauts were actually flying, and using technology that was forged by the X-15 pilots, these new Astronauts were nothing more than passengers in thier "Spam in a Can" missions, compared to the actual Piloting skills needed by the X-15 pilots.

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I read somewhere that one of the X-15 pilots left the program to fly missions in the Vietnam war. I believe he flew F-105s... I also vaguely remember that he may have become a POW.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here are some Facts on the X-15:

-built by North American Avation division of Rockwell