It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Justice Department Opens NSA Leak Probe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The Justice Department is investigating leaks leading to both NYTimes' NSA story and Washington Post secret CIA prison story. Accordingly, the law does not grant an exception based on the leakers' motives. Analysis of the statutory language can be found here.

Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak
The Justice Department has opened an investigation into the leak of classified information about President Bush's secret domestic spying program, Justice officials said Friday. The officials, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the probe, said the inquiry will focus on disclosures to The New York Times about warrantless surveillance conducted by the National Security Agency since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Accordingly, the NYTimes' spokeperson, Catherine Mathis, said the paper will not comment on the investigation.

Furthermore, the Justice Department is investigating the Washington Post story based on leaks about the alleged secret CIA prisons:

The Times has said it held a story on the program for a year after the administration argued its disclosure would harm national security. Additional reporting was done before the story was published, the newspaper has said.

Justice Department Probing Domestic Spying Leak

Personally, it is about time. I do look forward to the Plamegate apologists to argue that the NSA leaks were legitimate leaks, justified in the name of safeguarding the civil liberties and the national interest, and should therefore be exempt from criminal prosecution. Considering the NYTimes' very vocalized and crusading jihad for a special prosecutor and investigation into the leak in Plamegate, undoubtedly what goes around comes around; in other words, you reap what you sow. I mean geez, where exactly is the outrage for these national security leaks as there was for the Valarie Plame leaks?!

Related News Links:
National Security Agency
Legal Analysis of the NSA Domestic Surveillance Program
A Really Obvious Point
The Gray Lady Toys With Treason
Report of NSA Spying Prompts Call for Probe

ATS Related Topics:
NY Times Blows Cover of Al Qaeda Mole
Judge Orders Jail for N.Y. Times Reporter
CIA Asks Justice Dept. to Look into Secret Prisons Leak
Bush Allowed NSA to Spy on U.S. International Calls

[edit on 30-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think this is a strong article. Short, sweet, and chock full of links.

The NYT loses its relevance as a "newsource" and gains relevance as a propaganda tool a little more every time they try to stall the war on terror.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think the matter of Daniel Ellsburg and the Pentagon Papers is a good example of the situation now. The events surrounding the leak of the Pentagon Papers and the Watergate Scandal rocked this nation as nothing I can think of, except the War of Northern Aggression. We can only hope that the events of the seventies are not repeated with such repercussions now.

www.u-s-history.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
On yet another front, the NYT vehemently denied that the timing of the leak had anything to do with the release of a new book by James Risen, a national security reporter for the newspaper:

NYT 'SPYING' SPLASH TIED TO BOOK RELEASE
Fri Dec 16 200 11:27:16 ET

**Exclusive**

Newspaper fails to inform readers "news break" is tied to book publication
Book release

And, of course, this all coincided with the Congressional hearings to renew the Patriot Act:

National
Dec. 17, 2005, 9:48AM
Terror war takes hit on home front

Senate refuses to renew Patriot Act; hearings called on report Bush OK'd domestic spying without warrants
Mere coincindence

The NYT had no ulterior motives in the timing of the leak (cough cough). They were just waiting to get all their ducks in line.

"It's a duck thing." (Great White Hype)

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I guess Nixon in the white house will go unpunished for his crimes this time.

Yes lets go after the leak and keep everybody glue to the news, while the real guilty party is forgotten in the hype.

This time Nixon will win.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
marg

You're not saying that leaking information that can potentially put national security at risk is OK, are you? Do you think we should just ignore the fact that the info was leaked?

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oh, not!!!!!! I am talking about the black list that Bush was creating while spying on American citizens not of Al-qaida friends.

No, in a million years, just a littler bit worry about the the 4 amendment.

Anyway, I guess the leak was to make Americans aware of who Bush was spying beside the "Enemies of America".

Just like Nixon did, he created his own dirty list of people and groups that were a tread to his government.

But occurs we must all sacrifice for Bush, you know. . . our constitutional rights, civil liberties and our rights to question and protest against the government, so I guess Nixon will win this time.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Oh, not!!!!!! I am talking about the black list that Bush was creating while spying on American citizens not of Al-qaida friends.

What "black list created while spying on American citizens"?....

I keep seeing some people claiming that they seem to think "American citizens" are the ones who are being spied on when they make international calls".....

It is possible that there are American citizens who make international calls and have been spied on, but most people that make international calls are not "American citizens".... Some are legal in the country, some are illegal in the country....

BTW Marg, you really think the government is so interested in gossip that it spies on what you or my mom say to our families?.....

You really think the government has no other jobs to do except listen to people asking how their families are doing?.....

Please, use some common sense.

No, in a million years, just a littler bit worry about the the 4 amendment.

How exactly is it listening to people who make international calls and have been connected to terrorists "a risk to our 4th amendment"?

Anyway, I guess the leak was to make Americans aware of who Bush was spying beside the "Enemies of America".

Just like Nixon did, he created his own dirty list of people and groups that were a tread to his government.

But occurs we must all sacrifice for Bush, you know. . . our constitutional rights, civil liberties and our rights to question and protest against the government, so I guess Nixon will win this time.

Again Marg, what constitutional right and free speech have you lost when the U.S. government has been listening to those who have some connection with terrorists?.....

You don't think that there are enemies of Americans who live in the U.S.?....

Maybe that's exactly what they thought in London before the July 7th bombings by 2nd and 3rd generation radical Muslims who were born in England....

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well Muaddib is already known that Bush wasn't only spying to Al-qaida friendly people.

So what is the reason to spying on American groups? I guess he just wanted to know when the next protest was to happen so he could get enough security to keep them away.

Nothing to worry about just precaution right?

I guess we must sacrifice in the name of national security and Bush peace of mind.

I tell you he probably planned to do what Nixon did and get over with it too, just to prove a point.

That the man is in charge.

What a cowboy. Now let's get those pesky leaker's they are a thread to Bush and his illegal doings.

BTW Muaddib you seem to magically appear in these threads when is time to defend Bush polices.
and actions.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

BTW Muaddib you seem to magically appear in these threads when is time to defend Bush polices.
and actions.

I kinda agree except I think he appears when it is time to defend common sense, deny ignorance, or prove somebody wrong when they keep making rhetoric filled statements about a dead president and the horror of having your international calls monitored.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
And there is something wrong with defending policies of this administration since 9/11, Marg? Would that be like some asking you if and others why you folks "magically" appear when there is a condemn Bush thread created?

This issue is a major issue when compared to Plamegate and how the NYT, along with media, hemmed and hawed for an investigation. A reporter went to jail over Plamegate for a time. Be sure, that there will be more than a reporter or two going to jail this time around. The revealing of national security secrets is illegal and a serious breach of the law. Accordingly, the revealing of this program has simply let our enemy's, the very same type that killed 2500+ lives on 9/11, know what we are doing to counter them.

Now you can continue to play on the safeguarding the civil liberties issues, but when the NSA program was concentrated mainly on international, not domestic, I find it ludicrous that divulging of national security secrets goes over as being acceptable.

seekerof

[edit on 31-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
You know I don't see anything wrong with international calls been monitored with the right procedures put in place to protect our constitutional rights.

But when the spying include groups withing American borders of American citizens, you bet I have a problems with that, specially when they are done bypassing the same procedures put in place to protect us the Americans.

Yes is my constitutional right to question any elected leader they are in power because the people, and they swore in a bible to uphold the constitution of the United States Of America.

Bush fail to do that when he took upon himself to abuse his power.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Well Muaddib is already known that Bush wasn't only spying to Al-qaida friendly people.

So what is the reason to spying on American groups? I guess he just wanted to know when the next protest was to happen so he could get enough security to keep them away.

Marg, do you know anything about some protest groups who have used violence, such as placing explosives and detonating them in the 60s and other violent crimes even these days?

Do you think people have a right to place bombs and kill others because of their beliefs?

I am anti-abortion, yet i believe that anyone who decides to make any violent demonstration, such as puting bombs, on abortion clinics or they decide to kill doctors/nurses or anyone affiliated with such clinics, are criminals that should be put in jail.

Marg, there are some demonstration groups who have used violence and believe in violence. You think those groups should be left alone to do whatever they want?

Nothing to worry about just precaution right?

If these groups were so "free speech minded" maybe if they made public everything they did, there wouldn't be any need to see what they are doing....

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   

from marg What a cowboy. Now let's get those pesky leaker's they are a thread to Bush and his illegal doings.

And because when they are finished with Bush, these pesky leakers will tackle the next one on their list: you. And don't think they won't find some skeletons in your closet: they just have to dig deep enough.

But you don't have to worry, right? Your 4th amendment right will prevent them from expressing their 1st amendment rights, eh?

It's too bad that there isn't a right to privacy to protect you, isn't it?

Maybe you can tell us the difference between a leaker and a spy, marg.
Leaker = when it is done to Bush
Spy = when it is done to marg.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Funny how in order to protect the government followers of Bush regime will even agree with the dictatorship powers that Bush has given to himself.

A leak to inform people of the illegal doings of our government was done to tell us how far Bush abuse of power has gone.

He had no need to go around congress to do what he did, but he did and people still think he is God incarnated.

By the way Muaddib I see what you mean bombs are exploding from protest groups every day and suicide crazies are taking the cities in the US.

A rat chase is a rat chase and abuse of power is still abuse of power not matter how sugar coated the bush administration will painted.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The release of this information was more damaging than a billion Valarie Plames...

I hope they nail whoever did it.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Oh well now we won't know what other illegal activities the government is doing with out court approval. He is the president and according him he can do whatever he wants.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
... a good example of the situation now. The events surrounding the leak of the Pentagon Papers and the Watergate Scandal rocked this nation ...

www.u-s-history.com...

A MUCH better comparison than Plamegate, IMO. Thanks for the link.

The claim of "protecting national security" can be used to hide pretty much any nasty doings.

And who watches the government now that all the checks and balances are gone?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

You know Soficrow you can not has put it more beautiful, that is what I was trying to said, but I guess my way of seen things and expressing myself is kind of hard.

yes that is the truth, if we have a president that take upon himself to by pass laws and procedures and give himself powers over the constitution then who is out there to protect us from that type of abuse of powers?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

The claim of "protecting national security" can be used to hide pretty much any nasty doings.

As can the claim of protecting individual liberties. Don't forget, both are necessary. If there is no strong national security, then individual liberties are nothing more than a concept.

We both know that's a false statement. Just the fact that you and marg and I can complain publicly about the government is testimony to that fact.

Keeping national security in mind, sofi, do you think there are any limits to a citizen's right to information about this country's covert undertakings? Are there any instances where the "leaker" should be prosecuted for disclosing sensitive information?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join