It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Zeta Forms in Atlantic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This is highly unusual, and will be the 27th storm of the season. Hurricane Epsilon formed in earlier this month, and was the sixth to occur in December since record-keeping began in 1851.

Forbes.com

Tropical Storm Zeta formed Friday in the eastern Atlantic Ocean, another installment in a record-breaking hurricane season that officially ended last month.

Zeta, the 27th storm of the season, formed Friday about 1,000 miles south-southwest of the Azores islands, according to an advisory posted on the National Hurricane Center's Web site. It posed no immediate threat to land.

The center said it would send out a full advisory later Friday. Tropical storms have winds of at least 39 mph.

It was not immediately known if Dec. 30 was the latest date for the formation of a tropical storm in the Atlantic. But earlier this month, Hurricane Epsilon became only the fifth hurricane to form in December in 154 years of record-keeping. Hurricanes form when their winds exceed 74 mph.

Zeta is the sixth letter of the Greek alphabet, which forecasters turned to after they used up - for the first time - their list of 21 proper names for storms. The record for tropical storms and hurricanes in a season had been 21, set in 1933 before such storms were regularly named.

The 2005 Atlantic storm season, which officially ended Nov. 30, included 14 hurricanes, including Epsilon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

See also: MSNBC.com - Atlantic tropical storm forms, 27th of 2005

I made an small error and corrected it; this is not the seventh hurricane in december since record-keeping began, because it's only a storm. Still this is very unusual, as the season officially ended a month ago.

[edit on 12-30-2005 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
that is just so damn crazy. I just knew we couldn't end 2005 without another storm. Imagine us talking about hurricanes in January
I hope not.

btw great find.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thanks ww, I made a small mistake, which I corrected, Zeta is 'only' a tropical storm, not a hurricane, but it's still a sign of global warming in action.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The last time we had a storm this late in the month I believe was in 1954 with Hurricane Alice.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Following the unusual events of other countries, for instance, Europe, India, etc. this is another proof of things not going on well.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
maybe the gulf current really did stop, or at least slow up considerably??

but, I'm so excited there another baby to watch grow up and kick arse!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
...And i Thought Epsilon was a joke...

Your absolutely sure this information is correct?

I'm starting to agree, global warming is starting to have a stronger affect on us. Christmas, I was out in short sleeves...
This year has been...I don't even know...Hell, maybe?

--Kit.

[edit on 30/12/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
...And i Thought Epsilon was a joke...

Your absolutely sure this information is correct?

Absolutely the data, including the graph Ptolomeo posted was provided by the NOAA. This storm Zeta however isn't likely to make landfall, or do any damage.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
wow...It's not the damage I'm worried about, just the fact that this is happening. Strange, although not unheard of.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
It's hard to say if this is unusual since we've only had weather sattelites
in orbit for a short time (geologically speaking). Is it unusual in the past
40 years, you bet. But over thousands of years who knows?

Many storms could have sprang up in the open atlantic without anybody
knowing over 50 years ago.

[edit on 30-12-2005 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yeah, it's extremely possible that this has happened before in the past.

Still, it's simply incredible....this season just doesn't want to end

27 storms! Wow!

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Yep. Going strong til the very end of '05.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Having a tropical system in December doesn't concern me. I think there was one back in the early 80's. The part that is concerning is how these storms continue to form over cool waters. That means something has changed. Whether it is the dynamics of the atmosphere or perhaps the water has freshened enough in the Atlantic to allow storms to form over water that is far below 81 degrees.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Tropical systems have formed below 81 degrees in the past and will continue to do so, but to reach hurricane strength needs some significant warmth and friendly upper level conditions to strengthen. neither is present in this case. Is this a trend? hardly think so. we can't make sweeping meteorological statements based on 40 years of satellite observation.

[edit on 31-12-2005 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHorseChestnut
Tropical systems have formed below 81 degrees in the past and will continue to do so, but to reach hurricane strength needs some significant warmth and friendly upper level conditions to strengthen. neither is present in this case. Is this a trend? hardly think so. we can't make sweeping meteorological statements based on 40 years of satellite observation.

[edit on 31-12-2005 by TheHorseChestnut]

This isn't just based on satellite observations, record-keeping began 150 years ago, by ships and land based observatories.

As I wrote in the first post:
Hurricane Epsilon formed in earlier this month, and was the sixth to occur in December since record-keeping began in 1851.

It is at least very rare to have storms like this, this late in the season, don't you agree?

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yes record keeping began along time ago, and ships have recorded storms
over the centuries, but they were not able to indenify them as tropical systems. Also, they could not cover all the Ocean all the time like we can now is all I'm saying.

Is it unusual, of course. Is it an alarming sign or trend.... don't think so.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Tropical systems have formed below 81 degrees in the past and will continue to do so, but to reach hurricane strength needs some significant warmth and friendly upper level conditions to strengthen. neither is present in this case.

Then would you care to explain Epsilon which formed over waters far below 80 degrees and thrived and became a hurricane for a decent period of time? There was another hurricane that formed well outside the tropics this year as well. It eventually weakened before hitting Spain. I have followed the tropics for a VERY long time. This is highly unusual.

posted on Jan, 2 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

... but they were not able to indenify them as tropical systems. Also, they could not cover all the Ocean all the time like we can now is all I'm saying.

Very true indeed.

Is it unusual, of course. Is it an alarming sign or trend.... don't think so.

Well, I really dont know. I do think it is a sign of global warming, but then again i believe the current warming trend is mostly a natural cycle.

Regards,
ZM

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Wow, this is nuts. This got to be the crazist hurricane season I ever seen.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I posted yesterday on this and did not find yours here
my bad, as they say around here!
I live in Florida and it is very upsetting to see a storm out there in January

Where I live We have got hit the face by three 130+winds Hurricanes in 2 years. They are just now getting the trash out from my front Yard from the hurricane of last year do to Governor Bush dragging his feet like the President. What do they care....... They have money and power to boot. Over 300 people a month are moving into my county now and land value is sky high! Homes that were $40,000.00 4 years ago are in $150,000 homes.
My place is worth over $600,000 now
I would put it on the block but I could not find a place that is nice for all that money now.
What I am trying to say is....... with what we see here in January is it some kind of omen as to what's to come? Just how BAD is going to be this year
There are a TON of people moving in like the warnings on the walls mean squat! They are putting up homes in as fast a one month to make one. This is nuts! What are people thinking? It's like paying top dollar to move into a war zone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join