It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hello i was having a conversation with a lady from the unitedstatesand i would like to know where i went wrong. How was i judgemental and arrogant.?

ME [14:50]: right i dont mean to be rude or anything, but all there loads of overweight americans everywhere or just florida

Her[14:51]: thats the stereotype i don't like about the english, they think all americans are fat and lazy

Me [14:51]: well when i was in florida there was

Her [14:51]: that would be the same as me saying all english have rotten teeth

Her [14:51]: its not true

Me [14:51]: lol i never thought people thought that about us till a few years back

Me [14:51]: where does that come from

Her [14:52]: so you do have a negative impression of americans

Her [14:52]: shame

Me [14:52]: excuse me?

Me [14:53]: i said when i went to america in florida there was a lot of obese people, thats not going of a stereotype but from what i saw. Now the stereotype is that it is all across america. And i was asking wether all of america was the same of florida, i wasnt judging wether it was or not

Her [14:54]: there are as many obsese people in england as there are in america

Her [14:54]: i can assure you

Her [14:54]: the same %

Me [14:55]: what do you mean?

Me [14:55]: sos dident meanto right that (reference to what to what do you mean)

Me [14:56]: well it dident look that way to me when i went

Me [14:56]: you been anywhere abroad?

Her [14:56]: im not going to argue with another brit about americans. english arrogance is incredible

Her [14:56]: and disappointing

Her [14:56]: sorry to bother you, being an american i am below you

Her [14:56]: toodles

Me [14:57]: your trying to be the mature one here and yet you leave the conversation with a sarcastic comment

Me [14:57]: and judging who i am

Her [14:58]: you judged americans, i responded

Her [14:58]: now goodbye

Me [14:58]: how did i judge americans show me

Me [14:58]: show me and ill accept it

Her [14:58]: when you grow some balls and apologize.. and maybe THANK america for it's help over the years

Her [14:58]: IM me

Me [14:59]: all i did was ask questions never did i make a judgemental statement in my opinion, if i have id like to know so i dont make the same mistake again and i can apologise

Her [14:59]: if it weren't for america the UK would be the smallest province in the Nazi empire

Me [14:59]: possibly yes

Me [15:00]: whats your point?

Her [15:00]: go away or i will block your screen name

ME [15:00]: so you wont help me to show where i was judgemental then

Mod Edit: CAPS title

[edit on 28-12-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
ME [14:50]: right i don't mean to be rude or anything, but all there loads of overweight Americans everywhere or just Florida

This is the first place you went wrong. Maybe you shouldn't over generalize people.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would have to agree with cobra on this one. Apoligizing for the comment before you make it should show yourself maybe I should not say this. The problem was the conversation ended before it began and neither had the chance to express what they were trying to say. A line like that should not be used to open though.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I agree, the opener was asking for it, don't you think?

However, whenever I see an American write "you should thank America, blah blah" I just think 'bugger off, fatty."

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I love "bad teeth" smack!!

We have a sports talk show here in the U.S. and the host's name is Jim Rome. Well one day some guy called in to his show and was cracking on some Brit athlete with bad teeth and he uttered something to the effect of "the guy's teeth are so crooked that he could eat an apple through a tennis racket".

Top that my British friends!!!

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I dont really get that tennis racket joke can you explain it please lol

Spittin cobra how am i generlizing if im asking a question though?

I was apologising if the comment caused offence not for the comment.

Oh there was more conversation as well ijust put what i thought was revelant we were talking about general stuff and me coming over to florida.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
I dont really get that tennis racket joke can you explain it please lol

SpittinCobra how am i generalizing if im asking a question though?

I was apologising if the comment caused offence not for the comment.

The question is the generalizing, chissler said it perfect. If you have to apologize before you ask, it should be a sign not to do it. If you think it might offend, it just might. Asking negative questions is never a way to start a conversation, if you are trying to build a friendship.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow, why do so many brits have nasty teeth?

haha

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I dont have to apologise, i choose to incase it offends not because i think it will. And just because you apologise if it does, doesent make what you were doing wrong. I was asking a question to get knowledge, and im sorry if that question offended people.

FOr exaple a doctor performing surgery might say im sorry if this is going to hurt not because he thinks what hes doing is wrong but because it may be a side effect hedoesent want and is sorry if it happens. Poor example but hey

new topics

top topics

join