It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do Black Holes Lead?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KrisFromGenk

Stephen J. Crothers first is a mathematician not a physicist. His argue is Einstein theory is mathematically unsound. This is why he attacks physicists for there theories his belief is space time is linear and not curved In a linear model space time cannot be warped and there fore black holes cannot exist. He also claims that the mathematics leading to curved space time does not exist this is the basis for his theory.His problem with the math?Eventually it Gets to the point in math you cant divide by 0 and this must happen in a singularity.If space time is not curved this cannot happen at all.

Now i know at least one point hes wrong he claims the math doesnt exist to even deal with curved space time.Tools like the Lie derivative, metric connection and pullback functions are all used to do calculus on curved space-time. Even if you don't think space-time itself is curved, the maths of dealing with the notion of curved space-time (or more obvious curved surfaces like that of a sphere) is very well developed, so you can't deny that the tools aren't there. As for the rest not done with my degree and right now im not willing to argue which model is correct but currently observations support relativity. So untill we have a better idea black holes still need to exist.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

So untill we have a better idea black holes still need to exist.

I quoted the last sentence of your post for dramatic effect
, but this I actually fully agree on with you.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I saw this and thought the obvious "To a Big Black Butt." HAHAHA j/k

really I have no idea where it would lead but if I had to guess, I'd say it probably would be a black hole on the other side with it's own event horizon sucking in stars. That they would be smashed and mixed in the center until the black hole didn't exist anymore then those atoms would make new stars and planets, etc.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by KrisFromGenk

Same here. That's impressive

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Black holes don't lead anywhere, they trap light inside them. After a while
the black hole starts to leak the light it has trapped, and eventually it will
dissolve into nothingness, releasing all the light it has trapped. But what
ever the form the light had when it was trapped, got severely damaged.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This neutron star still has light:

en.wikipedia.org...

The Chandrasekhar limit limits the mass of bodies made from electron-degenerate matter, a dense form of matter which consists of nuclei immersed in a gas of electrons. The limit is the maximum nonrotating mass which can be supported against gravitational collapse by electron degeneracy pressure. It is named after the astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, and is commonly given as being about 1.4[1][2] solar masses. As white dwarfs are composed of electron-degenerate matter, no nonrotating white dwarf can be heavier than the Chandrasekhar limit.

There are just enough electrons for light.

The rotating black hole releases jets of material at its poles.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

that is true. also I read about how black holes escaping velocity exceeds the speed of light. I think that its wrong, but puts it in a way of understanding the order of it's magnitude for the black hole's radius.The escape velocity is the speed at which an object needs to travel so as to just manage to get infinitely far away from a source of gravity before stopping. See, on our little itts bitty planet our escape velocity is 11 Kilometers per second. So no matter what the object is, a rocket or a baseball, it must go at least 11 kilometers per second to avoid falling back to the Earth's surface eventually.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GeniusLogan15

Black holes are just a wonderful thing to talk about. Everyone knows that they form from dead stars, Right? But not just stars. The escape velocity of an object depends on how compact it is; that is, the ratio of its mass to radius. A black hole forms when an object is so compact that, within a certain distance of it, even the speed of light is not fast enough to escape. Unlike in Newtonian gravity, in General relativity, light going away from a black hole doesn't slow down and turn around. Thats is a fact!!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If black holes exist (not saying they don't) then maybe the light and matter are smashed into each other creating dark matter (if it exists). Although black holes could be just miniature galaxies with a mini star in the middle that has a tremendous gravitational pull.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zmouse

Oh yeah. When light is traveling at its max speed which is 300,00km/s(186,000mi/sec) time stops. Right now if we atcually found away to travel that speed, time will stop on us. The people who left in the ship would leave in an instant and when they return, they might be 100 or even more years in the future. If going into a black hole, whatever enters will be turned inside out.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusLogan15
reply to post by zmouse

Oh yeah. When light is traveling at its max speed which is 300,00km/s(186,000mi/sec) time stops. Right now if we atcually found away to travel that speed, time will stop on us. The people who left in the ship would leave in an instant and when they return, they might be 100 or even more years in the future. If going into a black hole, whatever enters will be turned inside out.

Heres the funny part as you approach the speed of light time slows down allowing light to travel a further distance in that same time period. Many physicists starting to realize Einstein changed one parameter without thinking of the other so to judge what is the fastest light can travel will be difficult because its speed wont change but the distance it can travel will since space time contracts. Thats why it may not be as difficult to go faster then light as we thought.

ps there will be a limit but what that limit is will be the question.

[edit on 5/16/09 by dragonridr]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I have always pictured black holes to be just what they are, a collapsed star that is so heavy, that it bends space and time. I picture it as a cloth stretched out, now drop a heavy small object.
I believe that everything that enters a black hole is ripped apart, and the energy expelled in the form of radiation. If a black hole was a portal, then I guess all the other stars, planets and debris that they consume is just popping up in another dimension/universe somewhere - Whoa, won't they be surprised!!

[edit on 16-5-2009 by sickofitall2012]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
If there is one thing I am learned about science is that eventually it is wrong and they come up with something new. Great queston, I guess because matter can never be created or destroyed whatever goes in a black hole has to go somewhere. I will have to learn more about these white holes. I always thought a black hole punched a hole in space and time because space bends but doesn't break, I guess that is why this is all so hard to understand.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

We should all know that light is an electromagnetic radiation. According to the theory of electromagnetic radiation, no matter what the color of the light, it travels at the same speed. Light has tremendous speed. to travel 1 mile, it only takes around 5 to 6 micro seconds. But the speed can't go fast enough to escape a black hole. I wonder if there is something that can.
The velocity of light plays a central role is astronomy and in physics. According to the Einstein's Theory of Relativity, nothing in our universe can exceed the velocity of light; thus, it is a kind of cosmic speed limit against which all other velocities may be measured. More generally, light is part of what is called the electromagnetic spectrum which I said atthe begining of the paragraph, which includes infrared radiation, radio waves, gamma rays, X-rays, ultraviolet radiation, and so on. All of these are a form of light; they just have energies that differ from the visible light that our eyes can see. Thus, these forms of electromagnetic radiation all travel at the speed of light too.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by GeniusLogan15]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
And for entertainment purposes, let's not forget about the freakiness of the theory of "Spaghettification"

The word spaghettification comes from an example given by Stephen Hawking in his book A Brief History of Time, where he describes the flight of a fictional astronaut who, passing within a black hole's event horizon, is "stretched like spaghetti" by the gravitational gradient (difference in strength) from head to toe.

Source

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
And for entertainment purposes, let's not forget about the freakiness of the theory of "Spaghettification"

The word spaghettification comes from an example given by Stephen Hawking in his book A Brief History of Time, where he describes the flight of a fictional astronaut who, passing within a black hole's event horizon, is "stretched like spaghetti" by the gravitational gradient (difference in strength) from head to toe.

Source

Spaghettification is very strong near a black hole. Why? It's strong near those because the newtons law of gravity says that if the distance is halved between the masses, the gravitational force is times four and the tidal force is six times the force; and if the distance is reduced by a factor of 10, the force is increased by a factor of 100 and the tidal force by 1000. It's complicated in some ways but in others, it's pretty darn simple. Black holes have a huge mass concentrated into a very small radius that the gravitational force near them is enormous. Black holes have no solid surface but we all know that. So when an object comes near it, the total distance from the black hole to the nearest part of the object becomes comparable to the dimensions of the object itself. Pretty hard to understand, Huh

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Great thread!! Black holes fascinates me... Fascinated me so much that I had dreams about them, that going through one at a certain speed will bring you to another galaxy! LOL Dreams are amazing as well
One dream that I do remember (It was intense), I was traveling through space and felt a strong pull pulling at me. I was sucked in.... then the next thing I knew I was in another solar system. Like I said dreams are amazing.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Thanks for asking this question! I always wondered the same thing. I can only hope it leads to world made of cheesecake.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
black holes don't lead anywhere
they come out as they go in but in the form of radiation
it's like a really efficient garbage dispenser

mini black holes don't exist for long because they spit this radiation at a much faster rate than normal sized black holes, wtv normal is

as radiation gets spat out more but nothing to suck back in black holes eventually start to minimize into nothingness.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
They lead to angel's -> abodes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join