It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do religious people hate gays?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
For the record, I don't hate all gay people. I'm sure there's some gays out there I would hate (an old roommate is one of them), but it would not be because they're gay.

Anyway, it seems to me that religious people are the biggest homophobes. I'm not singling out Christians; it seems that Muslims and Jews supported Prop 2 that recently passed here in Texas, banning gay marriage. But, many Christians are homophobes.

I think that people are gay because being gay has some genetic component. Think about it; gay people usually don't reproduce. This is a HUGE blow to the fitness of gay people, so natural selection should have eliminated the "gay" allele(s) long ago. But, since it persists, it must offer gay people some as yet undiscovered benefit, like sickle cell trait people have against malaria.

Sure, some gay people probably choose to be gay, but the gay people I have know all told me they were just like that. Regardless, what's the big freakin deal? How does who a person is attracted to and has sex with a problem for you? Why is it OK for people to hate a group of people with a largely religious basis for the hatred?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I remember when Presidential candidate Kerry was asked during a debate if he believed homosexuality was either choice, or if people were born that way.

He gave some cockamayme B.S. answer that proved he was a weak minded politician, just like most of them.

I laughed at the show (sorry, "debate") and saw it for what it was. Two prolifically bought for and owned liars and puppets who are nothing more than proof my voice has been usurped by the fears of the majority and the money from coorporate America. Then i shed a tear because of how true it is.

If I were running for president and were faced with the same question, I'd have to say . . . . .

People who say it is a choice are comparing this judgement on all they know. And, all they truly know is their own accepted truths. So, in order for them to be justified in saying it is a choice, if they are being honest . .. . then obviously they have at 1 point in their lives been attracted to people of the same sex as they are, and had to make a choice. Therefore: Those who say it is a choice, are suppressing their own homosexual tendencies obviously, because they made a choice!

Now for how I really feel:

I am a 34 year old male. And, I can honestly say that even if my life were in danger and every gun on the face of this planet were aimed at my head, I know I could not choose to be sexually aroused by another man!!

Further more:

When I see two men walking down the street holding hands, how does that truly effect me?

Well, 2 more available women who won't be bothered by those two men, two less for compitition as far as an optimistic point of view goes.

Choice?

The concept of it being a choice is far more repugnant to me than homosexuality itself.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

People who say it is a choice are comparing this judgement on all they know. And, all they truly know is their own accepted truths. So, in order for them to be justified in saying it is a choice, if they are being honest . .. . then obviously they have at 1 point in their lives been attracted to people of the same sex as they are, and had to make a choice. Therefore: Those who say it is a choice, are suppressing their own homosexual tendencies obviously, because they made a choice!

Gee, and you call Kerry's answer weak? That is the biggest mumbo jumbo. One needs to pass that answer on to a politician.

As for a person with a gay brother I would just answer, "I dunno."

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The only answer I can give you is because they haven't tryed it. If you haven't tryed it then your by no means in any position to judge them. For instance, I don't think I would like sushi, but I would be willing to try it and give it a fair hearing to see whether I like it or not. And you know, I could try it and the fish be rotten or something and I would never go back. It all begins with some one having the balls to try something different and that first impression they get from that experience as to whether or not they return. You have to be willing to take all your eggs out of one sack so to speak, and put them into another, I mean all of them, literally all of them, before your qualified to judge the guy who doesn't mind someone making his cock crow thrice within the hour.

[edit on 27-12-2005 by TgSoe]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
I think that people are gay because being gay has some genetic component. Think about it; gay people usually don't reproduce. This is a HUGE blow to the fitness of gay people, so natural selection should have eliminated the "gay" allele(s) long ago.

This is like arguing that worker ants are unfit and thus should have been eliminated long ago. A gene's only goal is to maximize its own prolification by whatever means. If that means that worker ants never reproduce themselves, but the colony thrives as a result and the genes of those ants get passed on in the queens that fly off - that's ok.

Likewise, I suspect that from an evolutionary perspective, homosexuals provided additional crucial care for nephews/nieces that turned out to be more important than having additional babies around, and as a result those tribes thrived. There's probably some optimal balance of hetero/homo that optimized a tribe's odds of survival, and it probably isn't far off from the modern ratio.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

For the record, I don't hate all gay people. I'm sure there's some gays out there I would hate (an old roommate is one of them), but it would not be because they're gay.

Anyway, it seems to me that religious people are the biggest homophobes. I'm not singling out Christians; it seems that Muslims and Jews supported Prop 2 that recently passed here in Texas, banning gay marriage. But, many Christians are homophobes.

I think that people are gay because being gay has some genetic component. Think about it; gay people usually don't reproduce. This is a HUGE blow to the fitness of gay people, so natural selection should have eliminated the "gay" allele(s) long ago. But, since it persists, it must offer gay people some as yet undiscovered benefit, like sickle cell trait people have against malaria.

Sure, some gay people probably choose to be gay, but the gay people I have know all told me they were just like that. Regardless, what's the big freakin deal? How does who a person is attracted to and has sex with a problem for you? Why is it OK for people to hate a group of people with a largely religious basis for the hatred?

Because they Are GAY! THEY ARE DIFFEREnter and not natural!!!!!!! They are Freaks and ..............................J/k Seriously i'm only kidding!

In my life i've had the honor of working with people of a different sexual preference, and By honor, I mean that learned something from this specific part of humanity that I would't have if I hadn't had close contact with them.

I usually can relate to people and in this case , the only way i've been able to relate is that i'm a picky man!

Now I'm not The best looking guy, but i'm friendly, Intimidating and non-threatening at the same time.

and I've had my luck when it comes to women,but i'm picky, I've had more than my share of male friends telling me that i'm too picky when it comes to women! That i should "Hit That SH*t" every oppurtunity that i have, But i just don't see it that way.

I don't know what it is, but i'm pretty picky, and i'll even go and say , What i think is hot isn't usually the same to other guys. And even though I am empowered enough to pick and choose when and where I have an experience with the opposite sex. I don't.

I constantly see most dudes i know banging away at anything that will give them a chance.

I don't get it, I'm almost removed at times from my peers, I don't get their sexuality , and just as equal the friends I have that are gay, I don't get them at all either.

So i really don't have room to Judge, The way I see it everybody has a choice in life, and we usually choose what is most natural for us, For some it might be whatever is easier to get( that really easy girl , who has a bad personalilty as well as not too easy on the eyes), while others will pick whatever strikes their fancy, For some iits red headed gals and others tall guys.

WHether its Biological or Psycological is beyong me , Studies will go on for another 150yrs before we break any ground in that department.

We really just don't know! we can only assume at this point, but that is only half guesses.

I've said it before, if its biological ,its probably mother natures way of controlling the growth of any given population. If natural want/need of reproduction just goes down , then there wont be as many people filling up the space thats given.

As for psychological All i can say , is that i've met some pretty weird people taht are into things that don't make sense, That goes from liking Guys to liking women's shoes in a sexual manner.

I see things in a weird manner, that your sexuality isn't the main part of you, Only an urge that gets you into trouble , and yes i've awoken from drunken stupor only to have some ex-husband knocking on some lady's door , waiting to kill me!Wondering why she didn't call him the night before!

THere's alot more to life than your sex life, there alot more to others than THEIR sex life! We need to get over it, But its a hard thing to do when alot of people Identify their accomplishments with the Notches on their belt( if you know what i mean
) , I think this is part of the problems with our society is we seem to focus alot on sex, when its really not that important, As opposed to the way to treat your family, How often your honest, How often you push others to get to where you want to be in life!

Just chill people, Kick back have a brew, and start Looking to other more fufulling ways of making yourself content.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by bordnlazy]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I am in no way "religious". I do think I can shed some much needed light on this situation. Religious people DO NOT HATE GAYS. They, like myself, despise the forced emergence of the lifestyle onto our society.

I HATE seeing gay rights marches. Is their a straight rights march? I hate legislation involving gays. I hate forced education in our public schools that involves gay propaganda.

People don't hate gays, with some exceptions (there are exceptions to everything). People hate the disgusting lifestyle. People hate the movement and the forced acceptance. If I don't like it, or feel the behavior of gays is acceptable, I am labeled a homophobe. Trust me, I do not fear any gay people. I just think they have made horrible choices, and lead a disgusting lifestyle that I do not want forced on my childrens eyes. I do not want to be forced to accept it.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by Sight2reality]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I will give a very simple answer. Humans fear what they do not understand.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I will give a very simple answer. Humans fear what they do not understand.

Here!! Here!!

And if they are too afraid of what is not understood, they will be too frightened to understand it.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

I think that people are gay because being gay has some genetic component. Think about it; gay people usually don't reproduce. This is a HUGE blow to the fitness of gay people, so natural selection should have eliminated the "gay" allele(s) long ago.

This is like arguing that worker ants are unfit and thus should have been eliminated long ago. A gene's only goal is to maximize its own prolification by whatever means. If that means that worker ants never reproduce themselves, but the colony thrives as a result and the genes of those ants get passed on in the queens that fly off - that's ok.

I disagree.

Do you disagree with my sickle cell analogy? As for the ants, workers are not unfit, even though they fail to reproduce. Why? Because worker ants are more related to their sisters than they would be to potential offspring. Thus, it is expected that they would invest more into the survival of their sisters than their own kids.

But, this doesn't hold for gay people, and I don't mean the parental care thing. What I mean is that gay people are not more closely related to their siblings than their potential kids. So, I think the sickle cell analogy holds, and that my opinion is not analogous to saying worker ants shouldn't exist.

And Sight2reality, I'm sure people hated seeing black people march and protest during the 60s. These people tended to hate blacks. See the idea?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sight2reality
I am in no way "religious". I do think I can shed some much needed light on this situation. Religious people DO NOT HATE GAYS. They, like myself, despise the forced emergence of the lifestyle onto our society.

I HATE seeing gay rights marches. Is their a straight rights march? I hate legislation involving gays. I hate forced education in our public schools that involves gay propaganda.

People don't hate gays, with some exceptions (there are exceptions to everything). People hate the disgusting lifestyle. People hate the movement and the forced acceptance. If I don't like it, or feel the behavior of gays is acceptable, I am labeled a homophobe. Trust me, I do not fear any gay people. I just think they have made horrible choices, and lead a disgusting lifestyle that I do not want forced on my childrens eyes. I do not want to be forced to accept it.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by Sight2reality]

Let me clarify a bit.

I totally agree with you with on the school thing. Young kids should not be taught about sexuality, period; the age line at which it can be taught is fuzzy, though, IMO.

Btw, homophobes can hate, as well as fear, gays. And, I think it's more of an issue of tolerance than acceptance. You can tolerate gays and their lifestyles without agreeing with them. And, why shouldn't gays have rights? After all, a number of govt officials swing on that side of the plate...

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I always bring this point up about homosexuality to a guy in the warehouse who calls it disgusting.

If you were in the woods and saw two women making love would you hide behind the bush and watch or walk away in disgust?

He always says, "Shutup madman" without a true answer.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My parents are highly religious and dont hate gays, but are disgusted that they are not following sexuality in a traditional way. In their minds, it doesnt aid in reproduction, two women or men were not biologically made to have sex, so they are wrong in doing so, and wrong in the eyes of God. That is how my mother explains it to me whenever we debate this issue.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
My parents are highly religious and dont hate gays, but are disgusted that they are not following sexuality in a traditional way. In their minds, it doesnt aid in reproduction, two women or men were not biologically made to have sex, so they are wrong in doing so, and wrong in the eyes of God. That is how my mother explains it to me whenever we debate this issue.

How do you define "traditional?" Looking back, there was WAY more polygamy and, oh yes, homo and bisexual behavior. When you say traditional, even in a Christian sense, that's kinda dubious, seeing as a bunch of dudes in the bible had many wives.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
I always bring this point up about homosexuality to a guy in the warehouse who calls it disgusting.

If you were in the woods and saw two women making love would you hide behind the bush and watch or walk away in disgust?

its like a brutal car wreck on the highway...you have tostop and look no matter how horrible it is......lol

actually i would hide then when its over "and im done" i would walk away in disgust......

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by plague

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

its like a brutal car wreck on the highway...you have tostop and look no matter how horrible it is......lol

actually i would hide then when its over "and im done" i would walk away in disgust......

to be honest i've hardly ever looked over at car wrecks, I keep my eyes on the road in front of me for two reasons

1)Some people find others misfortune so entertaining that they forget to keep their eyes on the road causing minor accidents to happen.(and yes i've looked once or twice)

2) I respect the injured and dead too much to look at them for entertainment, I wouldn't wan't anybody gawking at my horrible death so i pay them the same respect.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

How do you define "traditional?" Looking back, there was WAY more polygamy and, oh yes, homo and bisexual behavior. When you say traditional, even in a Christian sense, that's kinda dubious, seeing as a bunch of dudes in the bible had many wives.

I meant traditional as in a biological sense, the way humans reproduce

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseekaAnyway, it seems to me that religious people are the biggest homophobes. I'm not singling out Christians; it seems that Muslims and Jews supported Prop 2 that recently passed here in Texas, banning gay marriage. But, many Christians are homophobes.

Truth, the truth is that MANY world religions aren't against homosexuals.

There's an attitude prevalent in America that "religion = Christanity." Or maybe even "Religion = Christianity and its foe, Islam." Nothing could be further from the truth.

Many other modern religions such as Paganism don't have a problem with gays. Most ancient religions didn't have a problem with them, either. The Greeks were accepting and encouraging of homosexual relationships. Egyptians had no prohibition against homosexuality. The American Indians considered homosexuals to be holy people. Polynesian gods were bisexual (Pelee had both male and female lovers.)

Christianity's phobia probably stems from the "be fruitful and multiply" command... because homoexuals didn't do that. In the Bible, there are many verses about women being barren due to a curse from God and there's the punishment of Onan (struck dead because he refused to impregnate a woman) that emphaisizes it.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
I meant traditional as in a biological sense, the way humans reproduce

I understand your point--and your parent's, too--in a way. But I don't think they have got to the complete end of that particular issue, yet.

The bottom line is not what leads to material procreation but spiritual procreation. It's all a matter of being 'carnal' or 'spiritual' and how those things apply to the idea of 'purity.' Be fruitful and multiply is now applicable to the unseen rather than the seen.

By that I mean the reproduction of love. Because love is what it is all about--it is all any of us really have and the only thing that we can take along when we move to the other side. We must find love in a way acceptable for ourselves and prevent any urges to judge the methods used by others. It is frankly none of our business what others do--and to think it is results in distraction from taking care of our own business. Which is love.

If true love is the end product it will earn gold stars.

And hate, criticism, and judging are always guaranteed to earn demerits.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
first of all, it is the gay community that takes an extremist stance to those that oppose them that say that religious people "hate" them. Calling it "hate crimes" is nothing more then taking an extrme stance so that you can achive a more moderate result.

From what I have gathered with my experainces in talking with homosexuals, is that accepting a gay lifestyle allows them to become more sexually active. Yes, it is a lot easier to please a person who has the same parts as you and the same thought processes. You can stimulate them they way you like to be stimulated.

But you forget that the final Judge for Christians is not the Christians, but God himself. and several times in the Bible it is decalred an evil and ugly act that displeases God. So All I can do as a Christian is tell gays what they are doing is wrong, and the concenquances of that is dire, and I pray that gays will see the wrong and change thier ways

As an asside over the whole gay marrige issue, i think they would have a lot more success if they directed thier energies and political action towards chaging the civil union laws, instead of an all or nothing approach towards the issue that upsets more concervative people

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join