It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AICW: Australias new Infantry weapon by MetalStorm Inc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Found this image of Australia's rival of the OICW, Basically is a Black Steyr AUG with a overhead 40mm launcher. Metalstorm Inc have made the Steyr AUG(F88 in Aussie Service) more interesting for me!.

Beast innit!

www.metalstorm.com...

world.guns.ru...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
ugly looking beast, but a mean one none the less!

The Metalstorm system should make a good semi-auto grenade launcher.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sweet weapon system and so simple.
The USA should just buy it because AUS will.
But not being made in the USA it might not be bought.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Very nice. Proves once again how revolutionairy metal storm is.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

These things look mean, I would hate to come face to face with one of these mounted monsters.

[edit on 28-12-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
doesnt metal storm have a contract with the us?

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm not sure whether they actually have a contract, but I think that they do supply some weapons to the US.
They have some US funding
www.metalstorm.com...

Metal Storm Limited today announced that its US subsidiary Metal Storm, Inc had been awarded a two year contract worth approximately Au$1.32 million from the US Department of Defense for the research and development of a remotely operated weapon system.

edit: url and quote added

[edit on 28/12/05 by llama009]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I wonder how is the grenade launcher reloaded. Or you need to exchange whole barrel as by other Metal Storm designs?

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I wonder how is the grenade launcher reloaded. Or you need to exchange whole barrel as by other Metal Storm designs?

Yes, the whole barrel has to be replaced. AFAIK the barrels then have to be sent back to a Metalstorm workshop to be refilled.

Originally posted by Jezza
Sweet weapon system and so simple.
The USA should just buy it because AUS will.
But not being made in the USA it might not be bought.

Why should the USA buy a weapon that is

A. less developed at the moment than the OICW
B. that is even heavier at the moment than the OICW (which was partly scrapped because of weight)
C. doesnt provide two of the basic features the OICW was planned to have, namely the "direct" fire capability and the airburst mode?

Basically the AICW neither provides the effectivity of the OICW GL part nor the tactical flexibility of a regular assault rifle with underbarrel GL. One good feature however would be the longer barrel of the rifle part. Then again the OICW was intended as squad support weapon, not intended to be a general issue firearm.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Yes, the whole barrel has to be replaced. AFAIK the barrels then have to be sent back to a Metalstorm workshop to be refilled.

That's not good. Aditional 40mm barresl would be too heavy to carry. Let's say you want to have 12 grenades - that mean you need to carry 4 barrels. And it takes too much time to replace it, I suppose.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I dont think the barrel weighs that much - after all it is just a thin-walled alloy tube, in addition to the caseless and therefor lighter grenades. What would be more of a problem is the length of this tube - Maxim Popenker (world.guns.ru) lists the length of the AICW as 738mm, so the GL barrel should be around 50cm long, which would be very cumbersome to carry and reload AND the operator would have to take the weapon off target (and even switch the safety on so as not to shoot accidentally into his own hand
).

I´ve found a new pic of the AICW on the Metalstorm site:

Note the description on the upper right corner; it seems that they have provided a means to reload single grenades, but I have not seen further details on this.

[edit on 30/12/2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char2c35t
doesnt metal storm have a contract with the us?

The US Department of Defense owns half of the Metal Storm company.

I believe that the barrels can be reloaded with tublar magazines containg 4 40mm rouns a piece, the saem technology they're using in Metal Storm guns.

[edit on 30-12-2005 by mad scientist]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

These things look mean, I would hate to come face to face with one of these mounted monsters.

These pics are get posted every week, and still you laugh at them every time...

[edit on 30-12-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I dont think the barrel weighs that much - after all it is just a thin-walled alloy tube, in addition to the caseless and therefor lighter grenades. What would be more of a problem is the length of this tube - Maxim Popenker (world.guns.ru) lists the length of the AICW as 738mm, so the GL barrel should be around 50cm long, which would be very cumbersome to carry and reload AND the operator would have to take the weapon off target (and even switch the safety on so as not to shoot accidentally into his own hand
).

I´ve found a new pic of the AICW on the Metalstorm site:

Note the description on the upper right corner; it seems that they have provided a means to reload single grenades, but I have not seen further details on this.

[edit on 30/12/2005 by Lonestar24]

Maybe modify aus styer to 6.8mm rounds as well then it would
be a sweet weapon, something the US is wanting

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I doubt very much that the AICW is heavier then the OICW. Being a 3D modeller I've seen the amount of bulk on each and the OICW is almost 50% bigger.

Also for those who doubt this weapon's capability compared to the cancelled OICW, any idea the capability of a 40mm grenade compared to a 20mm one? It's got probably more then 4x the explosives, shrapnel and propellant.

BTW does anyone have a photo of this system yet. I'm too lazy to search and would love to do a proper 3D model of it. If possible make it the Aus Steyr 2 (Steyr AUG A2). That is the model with a safety switch instead of a pressable button.

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Mad Scientist says:

The US Department of Defense owns half of the Metal Storm company.

Not true. The USG doesn't own part of Metal Storm, any more thatn it owns part of Boeing, Lockmart, E-Systems, etc.

The top twenty investors in Metal Storm are shown below. The first number after the name is the number of shares of stock; the second number is the percentage of the total stock owned by each investor. Note that by the time you get the the fifteenth largest investor, you're already down to about a quarter of one percent of the stock.

1 MR JAMES MICHAEL O'DWYER 131,517,059 25.20

2 ANZ NOMINEES LIMITED 107,604,433 20.62

3 O'DWYER INVESTMENTS PTY LTD 68,212,500 13.07

4 MILAROI PTY LTD 7,245,000 1.39

5 MR GRAHAM BUGDEN 6,296,886 1.21

6 MS BETTY WALTON 6,043,500 1.16

7 MR ROBERT WILSON 2,549,694 0.49

8 MS INVESTMENTS NO 2 PTY LTD 2,321,224 0.44

9 CITICORP NOMINEES PTY LIMITED 2,307,421 0.44

10 MR WILLIAM MCALLISTER + MRS GRACIA MCALLISTER 2,129,749 0.41

11 MR ROBERT WILSON 1,645,227 0.32

12 CAROUSEL NOMINEES NSW PTY LIMITED 1,600,000 0.31

13 MR PATRICK ALAN HANSON 1,514,202 0.29

14 MR MICHAEL JOHN HARRIS 1,502,730 0.29

15 MR JAMES V KIMSEY 1,390,154 0.27

Top 15 holders of ALL CLASSES OF ORD F/P SHARES as at 30 Nov 2005

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
ANZ are closely linked to the US DoD and got a large number of major redevelopment contracts in Iraq. While they're just a bank I suspect they're a big part of the defence industry. Maybe its worth checking out where O'Dwyer gets his money from. Perhaps he loans from them and that is where their % of investment comes from. If so that is a very thin link to the DoD.

posted on Jan, 1 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
good to hear that aus. is upgrading as for the OICW it looks like it could kick some serous ass good for them hope it dosent have as much problems as the AR-15

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Wow, it's been a while since I was in the Aussie service but this thread just jolted me back with this image:

I know this soldier from somewhere, just can't remember - probably Kapooka.

Edit- Its weird though, no rank insignia either on the arm or epeleps (spelling).

[edit on 3-1-2006 by Ezekial]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Anyone else think that these machines look a lot like stuff from terminator and althought they will be currently opperated by humans remotly, how long before they are controlled by a computer?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join