It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does "REAL" IQ Compare to online tests?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i know this must be a killed/ and killed again thread.... but i want to start it again because the internet search engine is hopeless

Ok..... As we all know... most of the IQ tests online are all a bunch of bull. Many of the sites purposely give scores with high upward distortions to get you to buy something or get something from them. So here's the question.....

Have you ever taken a professionally administered WAIS-II/III/IV test or Stanford-Binet test? or any professional test. Are you a part of a real society like MENSA? If so... how does your real score compare to say.. the tests you took online?

if you took the www.tickle.com test... DO Not take it seriously... most people got over 100 (100 being average)

compare your REAL scores to this: www.highiqsociety.com
AnSweR Truthfully....

Edit: All caps title.

[edit on 25-12-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have been administered WAIS several times and the Henman-Nelson test once. I used to belong to Mensa, but their journal became so offensive and the editorial staff so odious that I let my membership lapse last year. I don't need a memebership card to associate with interesting people. I would have saved a lot of money if I had realized that a long time ago.

Edit:

I'm not going to bother taking that test. All legitimate tests must be supervised. There is no information that I could find on the norming of the test, it's mean or standard deviation or any of the kinds of things that give meaning to a test score.

This is just a way for some clever inidividual to sell stuff, even if it is to a select membership.

[edit on 2005/12/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I took that televised test that Fox had on a couple of years ago, didn't cheat and scored a 119. Although I'm sure it was a dumbed down version of some sort. I did take one in school many years ago and the score was the same so maybe not.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
This is just a way for some clever inidividual to sell stuff, even if it is to a select membership.

LOL, maybe these people in MENSA aren't as smart as they think they are.

As for online of TV tests, I'm not so sure about the accuracy. I scored 142 on a TV test and I was pissed
Then again, I always scored very highly in Math and Science tests, so who knows. I have never taken an IQ test with a psychologist.
I myslef equate a person intelligence to how much they are willing to learn. I read about many mnay things as I'm an inquisitive person. The vast majority of people though aren't.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I would agree and take those online tests with a grain of salt.
Additionally, IQ tests, although interesting, do not compare the other various aspects of intelligence, such as "social intelligence" or creativity or a myriad of other factors that can be attributed to intelligence but are not quantifiable.
Genius comes at many levels.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I got 118, I would say its right on.

YOUR IQ SCORE IS:

A score of 124 or higher is required to qualify for membership in the Society.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I scored way to high on the www.tickle.com test. (I got like 136 if I remember correctly), I wondered for a moment if I was some sort of genius, then it came:
"If you like more detailed information about your IQ, buy this and that".

In my opinion tickle.com is a simple marketing ploy using flattery to get you to buy their detailed reports. (that or I'm a genius
:lol

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I got 106 on the www.highiqsociety.com just by clicking randomly

Above average... i must be awesome or something....

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
About 2 or 3 years ago I took several of the tests on highiqsociety, and scored in the range 125-135. I don't know how reliable they are, though. I've also taken some of those silly tickle.com tests and scored slightly higher, about 135-140 on those ones. I've never taken a real, 'in the flesh' IQ test, so I don't actually know what my real IQ is. I'm quite confident it's over 100, but I couldn't tell you what, exactly.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
One thing about the Tickle test.

I've taken that test out of boredom several times over the years, and got scores ranging from 110ish to 160ish. I'm not sure if you can still do this, but once, a couple of years ago, I refreshed the page that gave me the IQ and the number kept changing. the number kept changing to a different number, and almost all of the time, the number was above 100. Looked like a random number generator to me.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SpittinCobra

Yeah i wouldent take most IQ tests seriously, but you have to remember they are made to measure your brightness. NOT what kind of mathematical genius you are.

Im only 14 years old and took 5 online IQ tests and my scores ranged from 127 to 135. My lowest being on the nationalIQsociety test.

And seriously i barely pass every class.....then again im a slacker.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The IQ test was created to identify people with learning problems, not to identify those who were smart.

It has been constantly abused as such, to make people feel smarter than others, and to further separate the various classes of society. That may sound drastic, but you must consider that a majority of the information on an IQ test revolves around cultural knowledge. Once that is taken into account, it's much easier to understand how the test is used to single out people that need extra help learning, as opposed to some superficial certificate to hang on a wall, or brag about.

The topic has been thoroughly covered in Stephen Gould's "Mismeasure of Man."

en.wikipedia.org...

edit: here is a concrete example from an actual IQ test:

/5dx3oh

Many of the original proponents of IQ tests were eugenecists and racists. As recently at 1960, "the Stanford-Binet [IQ Test] show[ed] four-year-olds three pairs of pictures, asking Which one is prettier? In all cases, the 'correct' picture has the classic Anglo-Saxon features, while the 'incorrect' one has features common to other ethnic groups, e.g., a wide, flat nose and thick lips in two cases, and a hooked nose in the last case" [Block and Dworkin, p. 461].

Other examples would show various things like badminton and polo sets, which would be unknown to lower classes.

[edit on 1-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I got a 168 on tickle. I figured it wasn't legit as I think that is higher IQ than Einstein.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I think many of you have overlooked another fact:

People who take IQ tests on the internet are creating a self-selecting sample.
What this means is that intelligent people are interested in quantifying their intelligence, and will seek out and complete tests of an intellectual nature.

A person of average or below average intelligence is much more likely to be a dullard when it comes to tests. They will not be interested, nor inclined to sit through a test.

Thus the sample of people generated will be skewed, and this is the reason I think that online tests have higher average scores.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I really think that IQ is way over rated,I had a brother in law with an IQ of 190,he was severely lacking in common sense,couldn't stay on one thing for long,although he joined Army when he was 17 they did put him in special forces,other then that he's as flighty as an airport

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
I think many of you have overlooked another fact:

People who take IQ tests on the internet are creating a self-selecting sample.
What this means is that intelligent people are interested in quantifying their intelligence, and will seek out and complete tests of an intellectual nature.

A person of average or below average intelligence is much more likely to be a dullard when it comes to tests. They will not be interested, nor inclined to sit through a test.

Thus the sample of people generated will be skewed, and this is the reason I think that online tests have higher average scores.

I fully agree with that. In all likelihood, the average person wont bother going online to take an IQ test, they just wouldnt be interested. And for some, the only opportunity they have to get online is at work, and they have other business to take care of online.

I found this thread interesting because I have internet access at work, and some days I get real sidetracked by surfing around....thats how I found ATS
Anyway, about a month and a half ago I decided to take a few IQ tests online. I took the first couple of tests when you google it, and did somewhat ok. I jumped on highiqsociety.com and took the test, and got a 123. And that test was by far the most difficult and longest test I took that day. I was a little upset that I missed hitting the "124 and above" mark by a lousy point, but at the same time I was a little triumphant. Being from a little town in Texas, where there are more cows than people, the school system sucks. And I'm constantly surrounded by, IMO, un-cultured rednecks who couldnt care less. I'm glad that I didnt conform to that state of mind

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
What's interesting is that one of the test questions was something like the following: "What are the sums of the angles of a triangle?".

My first response to that was "Do you mean a triangle drawn on a plane or a sphere?" Of course, they can't (and won't) measure responses like that.

I immediately discount "tests" when there can be more than a single correct answer, but no way to show that.

And man-oh-man, I had to dig deep to remember the nomenclature on some of the mathematics. Some of the math problems, I knew how to work, but didn't remember definitions of terms. (I wish I could remember the term, as I would have looked it up).

There was a "pattern memorization and recognition" phase, and what a joke that was. If someone would bother to "study" that kind of thing (i.e., practice), they would score much higher.

I got a 127, if anyone is interested. (I know I missed two math questions because I couldn't remember the definitions of some terms used! Shows how much "math" is integral to a career in computers!
)

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
What does IQ mean to you anyway?

Almost all aspects from the IQ test can be ''learned'', and if you train with them, you will usually get a higher IQ.

Some are obviously better at some aspects than others, but I wouldn't say that IQ actually portrays *your* ''intelligence'', rather than your ability to memorize stuff or to find patterns (or factual knowledge).

Not to mention the personalities of people, some people might be good at studying and IQ tests, but their personality gets in the way in real life situations.

[edit on 8/9/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
These IQ tests are a load of crap. A friend of mine practices taking IQ tests and consistently scores 160's or higher on every one he takes. You can practice and score higher on these tests. Intelligence is not something you can acquire through study; therefore, these tests, obviously cannot measure it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
This is an interesting thread. Im almost 21 now, but when I was in middle school my father thought I had a severe learning disability because I hated school. So they put me through some program with the school psychologist. Im pretty sure it was an IQ test I did one of the days where they had me answer some questions, read a few things, then do some drawings of simple to complex shapes.

I remember after I drew this star that had over and underlapping lines the woman said "Holy cow! I have never seen anyone draw that so well" After the series of tests she presented to me this paper that charted all of strengths and weaknesses in different subjects. I specifically remember she told me that I definetly did not have any learning disorder. From what I remember she told me that my reading level was on par with a 12th grader, along with my spelling. I cant remember all the other things, but I do know that for being in 6th grade, the lowest one of my subjects was equivalent to something like a 10th grader.

Its really funny though, right now I am going to school for aerospace engineering....all thanks to my learning disabilities.

On a side not, I do agree that IQ tests are generally to determine your weaknesses in academics. And as far as the online tests go, they are horrible. The test I took in 6th grade was based off of your ability to read,spelling,math,listening skills,drawing and a few others which I cant remember. But anyways, testing those I think show more capabilities of the persons mind then "1 is to 2, as 3 is to---?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join