It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrots and night vision?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Did your mom always tell you that if you were to eat alot of carrots that it would help you see in the dark?

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Hey!!! A chance to use my schooling!!
There are many vitamins that need help in our bodies: to either be absorbed or converted to a different form. Vitamins A,D,E,K are fat-soluble, which means they need fat to dissolve in the body. That is why nutrition expects don't recommend fat-free dressing with salads, because you need a little fat when you eat to absorb the nutrition of the salad.

A component in carrots include beta-carotene, which is the orange color you see. Beta carotene is converted to Vitamin A ( also called retinol) in the body. Vitamin A deficiency can cause night blindness. Alot of people feel that carrots are not a good enough source of vitamin A and that you should seek out richer choices, like dark green/yellow fruits and veggies.

Vitamin A is known for repair and growth of new epithelial cells, and is needed for good bone growth. Often people who get adequate amounts of vitamin A often have nice shiny nails, hair and skin.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hey. I actually think this *was* a sort of Black Ops thing by the British Government in WW2. They did posters and stuff asking for carrots, because it 'improved your night vision'. Wanted to hide the fact they had Radar! Will see if I can find a link to it.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There you go. Knew I was a repository of useless knowledge!

vision.about.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just a couple interesting things I learnt in Royal Marine basic training. When we were on exercise on dartmoor, we were taught that whilst on nightwatch for the enemy, that because you can stare at something for only 4 - 6 seconds clearly that it helps to look just to the side of the object u want to look at. Also you hear better by pointing your ear in the direction the noise is coming from & open your mouth slightly, this has something to do with the pressure change in your ears which allows you to hear noises that you would find more difficult to hear in general. Just a couple of handy tips (maybe for other ghost hunters like myself) Try it out, it's true

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Yeah my mum told me that one too, aswell as many others like eating crusts on your bread to make your hair curly,

why would i want to see in the dark im hoping to be asleep when it is

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I love carrots and they are a great source of vitamin A. It is vitamin A that helps to keep the eyes healthy among other benefits and eating carrots is a pretty good way to get enough vitamin A in the diet, especially for those who might not like green leafy vegetables. I learned a long time ago that almost any vegetable is good with the right seasoning and so I like to load up on the veggies at the grocery store.

Many may not remember that a Carrot actually ran for President in 2004.

www.carrot2004.com...

I hate PETA, but this is one of their least offensive campaigns.

new topics

top topics

join