It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2006 PC... What is coming? please help me...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
What is the best OS for playing games?

I am using Windows 2000 and despite having a reasonable hardware set-up, the games seem to run very slow?

Win2k is slow for 3d games because it has a cut down version of the XP graphics kernel, win2k was targetted for business use & ME(sic) was the consumer product. At the moment the best MS O/S for gaming IMO is XP.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclarenmp4
Win2k is slow for 3d games because it has a cut down version of the XP graphics kernel, win2k was targetted for business use & ME(sic) was the consumer product. At the moment the best MS O/S for gaming IMO is XP.

Thanks for that. That explains a lot. When you say XP, you mean XP Pro and not XP Home, I take it?

If I didn't want to fork out for XP, would any of the Linux OS's be up to the job? I have a copy of Red Hat, just not sure if I could get the games to run in the first place....

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Get Wine for Linux. It's a Windows emulator that can run quite a few games. It's free and open source as well so hopefully it will get better and better as time goes on.

www.winehq.com...

Yeah XP Pro is the way to go if you're going that rout.(Get the Corporate Edition and you don't have to Activate it
)

[edit on 26-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
since its a pc thread an all...

I'm looking to buy a new strategy game, which one is the best?

Age of Empires III
Civilization IV
Empire Earth II

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Civ 4 is pretty cool though I like Galactic Civilizations. It's pretty much Civ set in space and the sequel is coming out in a few months.

There is also Will Wrights next brainchild called Spore.

www.gamespy.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If you want gaming performance go with an AMD processor not an Intel. Plus, like many people said, get at least 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, 4 if you have the cash.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
When you say XP, you mean XP Pro and not XP Home, I take it?

All XP 32bit O/S including MCE, Tablet, Home & Pro are based on the same system kernel.

Home is exactly the same as the pro version just with some of the advanced funtionality of pro, hidden.

I like XP it's as stable as MS O/S's get but with decent performance.

Linux is good if your running games that support the OpenGL video subsystem (Quake, Unreal etc..) & it's a lot quicker & more stable.

XP will be a lot easier to upgrade from Win2K so I would suggest doing that. If you can manage to backup your data a format & fresh install is recommended.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
If you want gaming performance go with an AMD processor not an Intel. Plus, like many people said, get at least 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, 4 if you have the cash.

Why the hell would you realistically need 4 gigs of ram?

I bought AOE III, and after nearly an hour of playing I checked what my ram was at...and it was around the 700 area...which is fine for me since I have 1 gig.
I would not recomend to anyone getting more then 2, because 2 is more then enough.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Murc remember this phrase? 640k will be more then enough memory

Also when you start some of the larger maps you will wish that 700 was over a gig.

[edit on 29-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

He may need 4 gigs eventually but it just as easy to wait and but more as you need it because it almost always gets cheaper.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by sardion2000

He may need 4 gigs eventually but it just as easy to wait and but more as you need it because it almost always gets cheaper.

NEGATIVE! Always gotta max it out...always gotta max it out .... always [gets dragged away in a straight jacket]

I do agree that 4 Gigs right this second is a bit excessive if you're not into WoW at max Resolution in Orgimmar, but 700 megs is a bit chinsey doncha think.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well... 4GB is exactly what I wanted to get... No doubt about it... If I even had the chance to get 2GB sticks I'd upgrade to 8GB... I want to get the best computer system around... I want to create my own Super PC... I know... I'll be far off from the real Super PC's... But I'm intending on upgrading my next PC with the latest in hardware & software

Which brings me to yet another question, While were talking about Microsoft Windows... Is the new Windows Vista a good idea to buy next year?... Or will I be unable to use many XP based programs?

[edit on 30-12-2005 by Angelwithsoul]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelwithsoul
Well... 4GB is exactly what I wanted to get... No doubt about it... If I even had the chance to get 2GB sticks I'd upgrade to 8GB... I want to get the best computer system around... I want to create my own Super PC... I know... I'll be far off from the real Super PC's... But I'm intending on upgrading my next PC with the latest in hardware & software

Which brings me to yet another question, While were talking about Microsoft Windows... Is the new Windows Vista a good idea to buy next year?... Or will I be unable to use many XP based programs?

I hope you have money to burn...otherwise you'll be pretty pissed when a year down the road you check your best buy add and see an 1,200 dollar Emachines with the same specs as yours.

Why not just go with an Alienware?

BTW, I have one gig...and plan on upgrading it to 2 gigs in under a year.

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I've seen Alienware PC Cases at a gameshow here a month ago... And... I'm not impressed... Plus you have to pay like 40% more for an Alienware PC then you would in a normal store... so... No Alienware for me... Besides... Who would I show off my Alienware PC to? I don't have a social life whatsoever

I doubt though that the PC I want will be commercialy available soon after... Last time I got the PC I have now it took the normal PC shops here 6+ months or so to catch up with me (I get my stuff straight from the dealer... and PC shops are slow on bringing in new stuff here in Holland
)

If I would've gone for the 3GHz back then it would've taken them almost 12 months to catch up here... (Yes... PC shops in Holland are THAT slow)

Seeing that I'm most likely going to buy the newest multicore processor and such... I'm assuming it will take around 12+ months before those kind of PC's are available here in the stores

But by then I will already have my PC for a year... which is fine with me

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
yeah, Alienware is mucho expenso. But it sounds like your ready to throw big bucks on a solid system. and I like the look of there cases.

I've built my last 2 pc's, I prefer it over buying some over addvertised store crap.
gotta love Newegg & PriceWatch

(those are really the only places I check out when looking for pc stuff)

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Alienware comps are overbuilt. They last an insanely long time and are slightly overpriced to boot(i give em a little leeway when they include incase water cooling) You can build a comp just as good if not better by DIY(Doin it yerself)

You'll end up with something not even alienware could compete with

Here is a good guide for you to get a silent computer. Thats my next goal.

www.buildsilentpc.com...

Silent computer is ultra bleeding edge which can cost a deep pocket over ten grand lol. No more then 1500 for me

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I would have to agree with building the computer yourself being the best way. I'd never buy any Alienware crap, and definately not Dell, any PC manufacturer for that matter. The exception to this, of course, would be buying a laptop as those are harder to find parts for/assemble.

In my opinion, one of the best things about doing it yourself is the control you get over each component rather than being limited to the choices offerend when you "customize" a preconfigured system from a manufacturer. Not to mention the money you save by not buying from them as well.

The only computer that we ever had that was bought whole was a Tandy 1000SL (which still works, by the way), every computer since then has been put together by either my father or myself.

More on topic, if you seek the best system, you don't need 4GB/8GB RAM, 640k is PLENTY, and this comes from the guy that (co)founded Microsoft. He definately knows for sure the secret system requirements for Vista. Seriously, though, if you can afford it max out your RAM, you can never have too much especially if you're running/planning to run Windows (yuck!). I only recently upgraded to 1GB (had been running on 512 quite fine actually) and am already considering another 1GB to put in on dual channel.

Another thing to not overlook is the video card. I'm guessing you'll want to go with PCI-E and SLI since it's all t3h rage right now, plus it is the latest technology right now. I personally have never had any experience with it, but from what I hear it's really nice.

Oh, yea, and go with an AMD processor

Edit: spelling, grammar errors
[edit on 31-12-2005 by UnknownOrigins]

[edit on 31-12-2005 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
What would be the best laptop for under $800?
Also, it must be able to be upgradable/non-proprietary: RAM, etc.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
What would be the best laptop for under $800?
Also, it must be able to be upgradable/non-proprietary: RAM, etc.
seekerof

Below link is in CND money. Not too sure about upgradibility, I just assumed laptops were too much of a pain to upgrade.

www.tigerdirect.ca...

shopper.cnet.com...
This is the laptop I want though

link

[edit on 31-12-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 31-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hey, thanks, sardion2000.

I will certainly take a look.
I have a dream laptop, but being in this damn doctorial program is cramping my money a bit. Going to have to wait.

seekerof

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join