It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Thompson: Crusader for Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The steps people, namely Jack Thompson and his gang of hoodlums, are taking in the name to censor anything that even remotely hints at violence is getting ridiculous. Here I have for you rather recent news of his escapades:

ds.advancedmn.com...

An excerpt from the article, a little gem I so loved:

Thompson even mentioned Eibeler's promise to release Bully, which he calls "a Columbine simulation game in which kids in a virtual school can bludgeon classmates and teachers" in April 2006. Thompson then took a shot at Microsoft's Bill Gates, stating, "What's next, Paul, a game in which players can practice flying commercial jetliners into the World Trade Towers? Oh, I forgot. Microsoft already did that. Thank Time's "Man of the Year," Bill Gates, whose Halo trained Lee Boyd Malvo to be the Beltway Sniper as well.

For those who don't wish to read the article, Mr.Thompson recently purchased a significant amount of Take Two, a game developer, stock. With this stock, he plans on attending the share holder meetings, and as a share holder his biased and dogmatic view on games and their content must be taken seriously.

More importantly, if this guy wins over the video game region, whats to say he wont take his personal Jihad over to movies, then to books, then to street corners, where he deems the man heralding the end of times is influencing kids to commit suicide and shoot up schools.

Anyone find this as ridiculous as I do. Not to mention the bounds he's making are rather frightening.

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
i agree with you... its weird because i can play the same games, watch the same movies and i dont go out and commit crimes...i think the real problem is lack of education..dumb people tend to do dumb things..also as a parent i think you should know your child better 2 children age 13 one maybe more mature then the other.. i think its the parents job..if u are gonna kill people and blame in on some game i think thats a cop out... i don't know about you but my brain has more graphic images and thoughts on a daily basis then any game could lol yet i am not in jail.. i know right from wrong.

brian

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They just need to start rating games like they do with movies.
Don't let kids get a game that's overly violent and if they do, well then it's the parents problem.

Most gamers average 20 - 25 years old anyway.

As for TV, they need to go the Swedish route - censor violence and replace it with nudity and sex instead of the opposite, hiding tit and ass and promoting murder and crime.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis

As for TV, they need to go the Swedish route - censor violence and replace it with nudity and sex instead of the opposite, hiding tit and ass and promoting murder and crime.

I like that idea! In all seriousness, when will they realize it's the parents faults for giving into their kids whenever they see the slightest hint of a hissy fit.

Pretty damn sad, and scary if this trend keeps up. I'll never understand how a person could be as stupid as to recreate something from a video game, and even still, do they not play the game willingly? No one forced them to sit in front of the TV and play!

top topics

join