It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will there be woman or minorty president in the next 25 years in the United States?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There are several countries in the world that have just elected women leaders of democratic countries. For instance Bolivia has elected its first indigenous president. Germany has its first woman leader, same as Liberia. Brazil with its first indigenous president along with Venezuela

America is supposed to show the word how freedom and democracy is to be done. When do you think there will be a woman or a minority individual that will become president? If not why?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I firmly believe it to be "yes". We already have a number of well-qulified candidates in positions of seniority, it's only a matter of time.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hillary might be able to pull it off, but I think that's a big might...I think it's more likely that the first woman President of the United States will be a tough conservative Republican, along the lines of a Margret Thatcher in the UK.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Heck if either Hilary or Rice become President of the US I am heading for the hills in some out of the way country. Unfortunately, they have the best chance of all for the next election cycle.
I am saying this not because they are women but because of their politics.
I think that we will have a woman as well as a "minority" will be in the White House well within your timeframe of 25 years.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Several?

Let's see...first one in German History, one in British History and one in a few other Nation's...

Will there be one? Yes...
When? Who knows?

The problem is, a minority President is highly unlikely for the next decade or two, a woman? Maybe...but again who do we have?

Clinton and Rice are no good.
Colin Powell might stand a chance as a minority, but not unless one of the major parties give him their backing...

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Why do you think that? What will make America anymore acceptable for minorities to lead within 25years than the last 25?

If you do look at leaders in the top 500 companies there are not a lot of minorities. I still feel there is a glass ceiling dealing with minorities but white protestant males are the only option to lead America whether Democrat or Republican.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Blackthought,
The easiest way to answer that is that the demographics of the US is changing drastically. Here is an easy example to show you, 26 years ago, if you told someone tha there would be a tv channel that was devoted to African Americans, you would probably have been laughed at. This year marked BET's 25th birthday.
In many states now, the number of hispanic language radio stations has skyrocketed. This demonstrates the power that this sector of the US society is gaining in strength.
The number of the "white" population in comparison to those of the minorities, has steadily decreased. The number of minorities that now hold positions of power / money in the US today are significantly higher than 25 years ago.
If we extrapolate the changes in the demographic that have occured over the past 25 years it would be extremely difficult for the US not to place a minority or a woman in the White house so that the Presidency can better reflect the population's makeup.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Power in entertainment and sports are to me different than government. There are no black governors; most black politicans only make it to mayor. Only a few make to the state and fewer make it to the federal level. Hell we have more legislators on the house and senate in the early 1900’s than we do now. The explosion of Hispanic power in government if phenomenal that to me is setup by having their own imported culture and language. I really do not believe there will be a minority prez because too much power will be compromised in have a minority leader. The agenda would change and people who had major power will be angry. Look at how they talk about minorities in political circles.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Hillary might be able to pull it off, but I think that's a big might...I think it's more likely that the first woman President of the United States will be a tough conservative Republican, along the lines of a Margret Thatcher in the UK.

i have to agree with my republican friend

The first female president of the United States will probably be a Margret Thatcher type figure. Hillary is likely to be the first, but she needs to be abit more of a hardliner and an "iron lady", just like Thatcher.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I believe there will be a woman or minority elected soon. It definately won't be a democrat though. Democrats have a history of holding back minorities. Look at what happened to Al Sharpton when he decided to run for president in 2004. They threw Carol Braun out there to split up the black vote. There was no other reason for Braun to be there. Look at former Atlanta mayor Maynard Jackson in 1992, he had the DNC leadership role wrapped up, but Bill Clinton put pressure on the party to elect his good buddy Terry McAulliffe.

As for Hillary, she is unelectable. I see a Margaret Thatcher type Republican woman, or a minority like Repbublican J.C. Watts winning in the near future.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Why don't you draft NC's empty wig Liddy Dole to run for President Carseller?

I'd vote for her. Anything to get her out of North Carolina.

posted on Dec, 24 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Many of the posters said it right that the first minority and/or woman president will very likely not be a democrat, just considering their anti-minority policies of the past and present. As much as I like Colin Powell and Condi Rice, they are not going to run on the Republican side, either. Additionally, if you look at the demographics of the country, minorities are only concentrated in a few states... Unfortunate as it is, some people will simply refuse to even consider someone outside of their race. A minority candidate simply cannot win by only gaining California, New York, Illinois, Georgia, and Florida.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
A woman or a minority president...is this a prerequisit for the office. Is it becomeing a default setting in the minds of Amerians now days. What happened to the concept that a person be qualified for the office???
I say this because the prevailing winds for this office seem to be going in this direction in a similar manner as in years past when the requirememt for any public office was ...what is ones stance on abortion..not whether one is qualified for office.
Now this qualifications mantra seems to be switching to ...are you a woman or minority.
Does anyone else notice this type of madness??? This seems to be more of a fad used by politics and others...to avoid thinking about what it obviously in front of them. Or conversely what is not in front of them.
Is this a treadmill to keep people from thinking further than the most recent fad..changing of the wind...fashion of the day??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You bring up a good point, OrangeTom, but what makes someone qualified for office other than their stands on things such as abortion, like you noted? Who do we elected based on their qualification - an accomplished general, a great lawyer, terrific surgeon, excellent lawyer, a successful business-person, an amazing plumber?

I blame the whole woman/minority craze on affirmative action, a policy which helps nobody. People never know if what they've earned or were denied was based on merit or their race/gender/religion/whatever. A business in a capitalist system would never reject the most qualified person based on any of their conditions (they just want to make money, everyone's money is green.) because it would only hurt them, and people simply want what's best for them. This is why, as a white male protestant, I am more inclined to vote for a white male protestant because one is more likely to be like me and what's best for his survival is probably best for mine - who is more qualified for a job that impacts me than someone like me who shares my world view/opinions/experience?

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Honestly I cannot see why there wouldn't be. But for me I would just like to see someone in there that is under oh lets say 50 years old.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In the wild, it's best to let the mindless drivel ferment allowing the skulking Republican enough time to get comfortable that his nonsense will fly unopposed.

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Many of the posters said it right that the first minority and/or woman president will very likely not be a democrat, just considering their anti-minority policies of the past and present.

Eventually, he'll prove himself wrong on his own.

This is why, as a white male protestant, I am more inclined to vote for a white male protestant because one is more likely to be like me and what's best for his survival is probably best for mine

Dean Calls GOP a White Christian Party, Apparently White Christian Republicans Agree

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You assume that I'm a Republican. And sure, the Republicans are a white Christian party, just ask the Jewish leader of the Republican Party, Ken Mehlman.

Affirmative action, and planned parenthood are just two of the most blatant anti-minority projects.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Hillary might win the election in 2008 if her Republican counterpart gets backed by the current administration.(That's if Martial Law isn't declared first.) You can bet on this though, if Colin Powell were to ever run for the Presidency, he would be a shoe in for it.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Hillary might win the election in 2008 if her Republican counterpart gets backed by the current administration.(That's if Martial Law isn't declared first.) You can bet on this though, if Colin Powell were to ever run for the Presidency, he would be a shoe in for it.

Hillary is too devisive to get the nod and support of the Party. Simply her name hurts her here as she is part of the major divide in the nation now. This attempt to redefine herself as a centrist isn't working, she's too well-known already and her healthcare program certainly wasn't even close to centrist.

I think Obama would be a great choice for that party in 2012, but right now his inexperience would merit him a VP choice at best. While inexperience is surpassable when not at war, when we are at war it would not be so easily surpassed.

I believe that Rice is being groomed for VP. Her heavy foreign relations experience will benefit her greatly in such a role. I also believe that there have been some agreements with McCain and the R elite, he may actually get the nod. In every pre-poll McCain slaughters about every candidate the Dems put forward. Shoot even Rice beats Hillary in the pre-polls.

In short, it is unlikely that Hillary will win the nomination in 2008, if she does it is likely the populace will not support her. If my feel of the currents is right people are sick and tired of seeing the same names over and over in that office, this is not a Monarchy but it might as well be if we keep voting for the 'elite' families who continue to lead us in the same direction.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

You assume that I'm a Republican. And sure, the Republicans are a white Christian party, just ask the Jewish leader of the Republican Party, Ken Mehlman.

...you know what, every time I see a debate about the Republican Party not reprosenting the whole of the U.S. Population, this poor guys name is used so they can cry out: "We have a Jew!" and thus equality for all.

Remember guys, the Republican Party had a Jew...clearly, there is no prejudice in the Party because they have a Jewish Member...I somewhat feel sorry for this guy, since his name is bounced around everytime this arguement is brought up and it probably does a lot of damage to his career.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join