It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HRW Insurgent report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The Human Rights Watch has produced a report about Insurgent warcrimes,

There are no justifications for targeting civilians, in Iraq or anywhere else. Armed groups as well as governments must respect the laws of war

Sarah Leah Whitson, director of Human Rights Watch’s Middle East and North Africa Division

hrw.org...

Yet more evidence of iraqi war crimes but little to no media coverage of this, what is going on with them?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Keep in mind that HRW raport for civilian deaths caused by illegimate actions caused by us troops haven´t got any attention in usa either. And only 5 cases of 94 civilian deaths caused by illegal actions have been studied by us army.It seems that us troops are not bound by laws in iraq.
raport

A central problem is the lack of accountability for U.S. soldiers and commanders in Iraq. According to CPA Regulation Number 17, Iraqi courts cannot prosecute coalition soldiers, so it is the responsibility of the participating coalition countries to investigate allegations of excessive force and unlawful killings, and to hold accountable soldiers and commanders found to have violated domestic military codes or international humanitarian law. The lack of timely and thorough investigations into many questionable incidents has created an atmosphere of impunity, in which many soldiers feel they can pull the trigger without coming under review

-aape

[edit on 22-12-2005 by aape]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by aape
Keep in mind that HRW raport for civilian deaths caused by illegimate actions caused by us troops haven´t got any attention in usa either. And only 5 cases of 94 civilian deaths caused by illegal actions have been studied by us army.It seems that us troops are not bound by laws in iraq.

Then explain why the media can cover US forces killing civilians but not insurgents?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
wtf this has to do with media coverage. Problem is that no one in usa legislation is willing to put people in court after they have killd innocent civilians. Read the invidual cases and you will understand the situations. One of them was a bomb explosion near road check, and after that soldier opened fire on everyone around them.
HRW knew abu graib way before someone did something about it. It was only after washington post posted info about that prison. You can find an address to mr.bush to ban torture methods. Torture is banned in geneve treaty, so is killing unarmed civilians.
15 question from HRW to USA administration

more braking of international HRW laws.About your prisoners

Prisoners held without trial or rights

You should really fix problems inside USA before attacking other nations on reason "correcting their problems".
-aape

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Prisoners held without trial or rights

The word is Internment and a few instances are widly known through history:

120,000+ Japanese american`s were interned after pearl harbor many died or went missing;

1971 - Northern Ireland - the brits rounded up hundreds of NORAID sponsored IRA suspects over night and through them in jail and lost the key

and of course 2001 - after 9/11 we have internment again.

[edit on 22-12-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Then explain why the media can cover US forces killing civilians but not insurgents?

The media don't cover insurgent attacks on civilians?
What media are you watching? Nearly every other day I hear about a carbombing killing a bunch of Iraqi civilians. Selective perception is a wonderful thing I guess.

As for the report, good for HRW, they are doing exactly what they should be doing.
Reporting on all human rights violations instead of only those commited by their least favorite "side".

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

wtf this has to do with media coverage.

Note my question to the subject.

Problem is that no one in usa legislation is willing to put people in court after they have killd innocent civilians. Read the invidual cases and you will understand the situations. One of them was a bomb explosion near road check, and after that soldier opened fire on everyone around them.
HRW knew abu graib way before someone did something about it. It was only after washington post posted info about that prison. You can find an address to mr.bush to ban torture methods. Torture is banned in geneve treaty, so is killing unarmed civilians.

wtf does this have to do with the topic at hand?

You should really fix problems inside USA before attacking other nations on reason "correcting their problems".

I aint gona fix anything in the USA , because I dont live there.

Originally posted by xmotex
The media don't cover insurgent attacks on civilians?

No they dont report warcrimes.

What media are you watching? Nearly every other day I hear about a carbombing killing a bunch of Iraqi civilians. Selective perception is a wonderful thing I guess.

So you hear about carbombing and then hear about US or UK prisnor "abuse" tales, when do you hear about iraqi abuse stories?

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well I have seen lot more media coverage about war crimes of insurgents than about warcrimes of us/uk soldiers. Example the un bombings etc. But i just cannot understand why such outrage about their warcrimes when the whole war started based on a crime and lies. And no one has adressed in states about the fact that they are not prosecuting no one about these civilian killings. I bet they will prosecute every one of insurgent or lock them up in some secret prison and then they are just making one crime more.
-aape

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Well I have seen lot more media coverage about war crimes of insurgents than about warcrimes of us/uk soldiers.

Really? More than I have.

Example the un bombings etc.

UN bombings?

But i just cannot understand why such outrage about their warcrimes when the whole war started based on a crime and lies.

Mabye because their warcrimes?
Yes the war was started on some lies but can we change that?
Do you have a time machine?

And no one has adressed in states about the fact that they are not prosecuting no one about these civilian killings.

A) Look up the US military courts arresting soldiers.
B) Look at the UK military doing the same.

I bet they will prosecute every one of insurgent or lock them up in some secret prison and then they are just making one crime more.

Thats more speculative than any 9/11 myth I have ever seen, you can easily speculate that they are arresting them then torturing them with chocolate chip cookies or feather dusters.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
i´m lookin courts..i haven´t seen a case after or before abu graib..and there are still those 94 killed civilians before 2004 which haven´t been adressed even when they know which division was responsible for killing.
-aape

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

i´m lookin courts..i haven´t seen a case after or before abu graib..and there are still those 94 killed civilians before 2004 which haven´t been adressed even when they know which division was responsible for killing.
-aape

news.bbc.co.uk...
Look up tim collins and the 6 paras.
The latter 2 where cleared but the first 2 where charged.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

No they dont report warcrimes.

Bull. What do you think the carbombings of civilians are?
The kidnappings, beheadings, etc... tell me with a straight face that these don't get reported on.

So you hear about carbombing and then hear about US or UK prisnor "abuse" tales, when do you hear about iraqi abuse stories?

For the life of me I can't make sense of this sentence.
Beheading prisoners doesn't count as "abuse"? The media hasn't reported on the beheadings? Do I actually need to bother to go find a zillion links to disprove this?

[edit on 12/22/05 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Bull. What do you think the carbombings of civilians are?
The kidnappings, beheadings, etc... tell me with a straight face that these don't get reported on.

Touche , some warcrimes are reported but are all?
Tell me where on the news there was reports of iraqi insurgents using human shields?

For the life of me I can't make sense of this sentence.
Beheading prisoners doesn't count as "abuse"? The media hasn't reported on the beheadings? Do I actually need to bother to go find a zillion links to disprove this?
[edit on 12/22/05 by xmotex]

As I stated before they are only 2 forms of warcrimes what about the kidnappings of local iraqis?
What about the use of human shields?
Could you provide media links to any of the above I mentioned?

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Maybe iraqi insurgents using childs/whatever as shields is just a boogie man story created by your governments? And I feel the same that most of the warcrimes aren´t reported, meaning us warcrimes. But what is the use of report those if only ones being punished are the iraqis?
-aape

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Maybe iraqi insurgents using childs/whatever as shields is just a boogie man story created by your governments?

Then explain why the HRW found evidence of human shields being used by insurgents?

And I feel the same that most of the warcrimes aren´t reported, meaning us warcrimes. But what is the use of report those if only ones being punished are the iraqis?
-aape

I dont know why the US isnt punishing troops or if it is.
I know that british troops have been punished and several careers ruined because of slanderous accusations and thanks to the press.

new topics

top topics

join