It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tamiflu shows resistance to Bird Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
www.rense.com...

Serious questions are raised today about the ability to combat an anticipated bird flu pandemic following the deaths of two people who were being treated with the drug the world is stockpiling as a safeguard against the virus.

To the dismay of medical experts and concern among those responsible for the worldwide efforts to fight a pandemic, the H5N1 bird flu virus in the bloodstream of the two patients in Vietnam rapidly developed resistance to the drug, Tamiflu. One, a 13 year-old girl, appeared to be stable at first and then rapidly worsened as the virus mutated, became more aggressive, and eventually killed her.

The deaths are reported today in the respected New England Journal of Medicine by doctors funded by the British Wellcome Trust working in Vietnam. They urge changes to the global plans for fighting a flu pandemic. Other antiviral drugs are needed alongside Tamiflu, they say.

This has been speculated, but its really happening.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Undoubtedly, this is disturbing.
On the way to the campus this morning, I heard that what may be the problem is that the Tamiflu dosage was incorrect and that it may need to be increased.

I am not up on or knowledged enough on Tamiflu and Bird Flu, as such, simply wanted to relay what I heard this a.m. concerning this matter.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
'normal' strains of Influenza have already been found to be resistant to Tamiflu in 4% of adults and around 18% of children (and I've also read somewhere that the number in 'Nam is around 16% of cases - this reported in a paper published a month or two back) so why is the scientific / medical establishment surprised NOW by the resistance to Tamiflu by H5N1?

Its interesting that its being given coverage just when the US and UK Govts are running into a spot of trouble....

[edit on 22-12-2005 by hands]

new topics

join