It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Senate passes Patriot Act extension

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Well, if it had to be renewed at all, I'm far happier seeing it renewed as only a six month extension, rather than the 10-year to permanent (I think that was the original extention time) that was pushed for in the past.

The house shooting down the permanent extension of the Patriot Act was something I was very happy to see (in fact, we toasted to it being shot down at a recent holiday party, and nobody, not even the staunch Republicans, objected to the toast).

It bothers me that it was extended at all, but I'd rather see it extended for only six months, rather than becoming permanent. I could go into my reasons for this, but so many other people in this thread have beaten me to it, so I won't repeat them.

I still consider this a victory for those that wish the rights guaranteed us by the Constitution. This just proves that not the entire government is full of these crazed wackos that wish to turn us into a totalitarian state. This somewhat renews my faith in the government, even if I still dislike the higher eschelons.

<< 1   >>

join