It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praise Bush for building the Missile Defense System

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well I'm all for the missile shield!,Yeah it might be worthless now but in five to ten years it could have a high success rate and by that time who knows how many countries will have long range missiles.

This is like the first time the goverment is trying to do something BEFORE something bad happens...I don't understand why people are against it.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by noisy_brit_kid
..The MDS is an easily foilable, unworkable and unneded plan, it can be foiled, by the "rouge" nation firing, a load of dummy missiles,

True enough that the current plans are all but useless against countries like China or Russia. However, Countries like North Korea and Iran will only concievably have a few missiles they can launch. Your "load of dummy missiles" are a resource they simply do not have.

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

This is just a convient way for the neocons to shovel tax dollars to their favorite high tech campaign contributers.

I have to side with this

Space is nice and all but this is not what we have to be looking into at this time in our lives.

I agree. Just a waste of money. War & tools for it make GB $$$$$$$. Vash the stampede would say the same

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
When the MDS is going to work, it will not be needed anymore, just because there will be better, smaller, easier to deliver weapons. So the only ones who will benefit are the shareholders of the military industry.

Put the money in new energy research, that would avoid some nasty wars for petrol.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
We don't even have to wait.
See: Russia's SS-27 Makes Bush's Missile Defense A Fantasy

www.rense.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
okay, I read the article, and while it is an impressive missile, I'm not terribly impressed.

First, it is owned and operated by a country that would'nt even need to bat an eye at our Missile defence network if they decided to nuke us. They've got so many missiles, they'd probrably have more blow up on the pad than we could intercept with a 100% reliability rate for our equipment.

Second, the SS-27 is not the only manuvering warhead out there. Even a manuvering warhead still has a basic trajectory, which means it's still entirely possible to get a rough idea of where it will land.

Third, I think the author rather overestimates the manuverability of the re-entry vehicle. He says it's

invulnerable to any kind of radiation and electromagnetic and physical interference.
Uh, sure, I'll give that if you're in a high enough arc, it will take a few milliseconds for ground based lasers or radiation to reach you, but he seems to believe there's a tremendous amount of evasive manuvering going on on a continuous basis. You can only put so much rocket fuel in your warhead.

Fourth, Apparently, this guy is regarding a system that was deployed for all of 4 months back in the 70's as the traditional method of nuking them out of the sky.

Lastly, the author apparently had a problem with math, as the last post on that page points out the ground speed would be less than half that advertised.

So, onward with systems to take the nuclear threat bargaining chip away from despots with less than a dozen of them. I've no desire to submit to nuclear blackmail because we didn't want to invest in denying the enemys that would do so the capability.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join