It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Hits Louisiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Doesn't say much right now. It was a magnitude of 3.0. A minor earthquake occurred at 00:52:20 (UTC) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005. The magnitude 3.0 event has been located in LOUISIANA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

In my opinion this is not a good sign.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
That can't possibly be right. I wouldn't have felt a 3.0 in this area, but I would've heard about it! Not a word...

We aren't even on a fault are we? Oh my God I'm confused

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I do believe there are parts of LA that are either near or on the New Madrid Fault Line. If that is the case then I would pay close attention to the fault.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Well, its entirely correct information. The earthquake was on the local news about an hour after I saw this thread.
You had a great jump on the news stations, heh.

Well, I never knew we were anywhere near a fault. I guess you learn something enw every day. I never would have know had this not been one of my favorite forums
Go figure.

Thanks CelticHeart, very good find.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
isnt there a supervolcano somewhere underneath yellowstone park? is that near this earthquake?

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
No chocobo, Yellowstone is up north, this is Louisiana, on the Gulf Coast of the United States

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
No, Yellowstone Park covers Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. This earthquake was in the southern state Louisiana. However, Yellowstone is a super caldera.

[edit on 21-12-2005 by CelticHeart]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just for everyones information, I posted this NEWS Before this thread was posted.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
No, you didn't. Your post is dated today, I posted mine yesterday.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
CelticHeart, sorry, you are correct.
This worries me because we live on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida.
I've never heard of an earthquake in this area and I've lived here all of my life.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The southern portion does have a fault. It is the New Madrid Fault Line. Here are a couple of sites that give info about this fault line.

www.scchealth.org...

www.showme.net...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Here's a page that tracks recent earthquakes in the US.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

We just had 2 last week in north central Nebraska. Perhaps some of these odd locations are related to the Augustine Volcano building up in Alaska. It's showing signs of potentially erupting.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
perhaps the weight of water and debri from the hurricane caused the small quake. We had one here in Massachusettes at 3.0 last month which is rare (last one in 1670?).

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
This worries me because we live on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida

Worries YOU? I live in Louisiana! As if hurricanes weren't enough of a bother, now we have to worry about earthquakes too? This is a potentially quite dangerous fault line. If New Orleans isn't wiped away by a hurricane, earthquakes may get it eventually.

Intel, I'm not sure, but I don't think a) that the weight of anything on the ground can possibly cause a quake because, to the best of my knowledge, earthuakes are a result of the movement of tectonic plates, which doesn't include the surface ground. and b) if it could, we wouldn't have NEARLY enough for such a significant event. [EDIT] Not to mention, this quake was northwest of the area where all the debris is currently sitting.

This site has a lot of good information on the New Madrid Fault Line.

--Kit.

[edit on 21/12/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
YES, it worries me..we have had to deal with those darn hurricanes too. You are not the only ones they have hit and I hear they are going to be even WORSE next year.
God forbid that any of us have to deal with an earthquake

[edit on 21-12-2005 by MagicaRose]

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Sorry, I know we all have to deal with this stuff down here. Things don't look very good for anyone on the New Madrid Fault line. Though, Florida isn't on this particular fault line, I'm sure you guys have something of the sort you have to deal with as well.

--Kit.

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Floriday may not be on that fault line, but considering the 1811-1812 earthquake I would have to say that should we have another one like that, FL would probably feel a few of the effects. That's my opinion anyway.

Considering in the 1811 earthquake it rang the church bells in Boston and was felt in Canada. FL would feel effects.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If you are all scared about it you should really pity me. I live in Central Louisiana. I was listening to the radio one day and they said that scientist had just found a dangerous fault line where none was thought to be and that it was in Central Louisiana.

That day I told everybody what I heard, even my teachers. It was scary news for them because none of the information had been on T.V. It was 5 days ago when I first heard about it, Janurary 28, 2009. A little late on telling us about the first one. The first one happened higher up in Louisiana.

I only learned what I did from my aunt who lives around that area.

new topics

top topics

join