It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada the 'Retarded Cousin' of the United States

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
You don't see the Canucks (or the British or Australians or Chinese, etc) running around making threads about how the world would suck without us and complaining of unfair treatment.

Where would the world be without the US?
Is there a growing anti american sentiment on the board?

We're merely the flavour of the week. The USA always needs an enemy to rally the people.

PS. If you had left that last Robin Williams statement out, you would have sounded neutral on the topic. But the shot had to be taken, didn't it?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
everyone bashes the U.S. these days. Hell, half of all out citizens bash the current administration. What I find funny is that every country around the world tears into the US, their policies, their leaders etc but someone from the US sends a little back and they get all upset.

Nope, you're missing the point. If you're yelling, THAT"S BASHING AMERICA complaining about it, then turn around and laugh at another country, that's hypocracy. And childish.

"everyone bashes the U.S. these days". Really? I'd challenge you to find ANYWHERE where I've bashed America. Good luck. You'll find damn few Canucks that do, we aren't built that way. So the world is dumping on you? Take it out on someone else, that's fair right? No, that's sad.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A lot of politicians have been on the political comedy shows like this hour has 22 minutes and royal Canadian air farce.

The person that stomped the bush doll lost her job though.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
That's an oxymoron, if they do it all the time and it hardly makes the news, how would you know? Not to mention that it's untrue. Looks like justification for your previous post. Still doen't hide the thin-skinned hypocracy.

I should have said the mainstream news, I get news from more sources than just the usual suspects.

And it's hypocrisy not hypocracy

[edit on 12/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

That's an oxymoron, if they do it all the time and it hardly makes the news, how would you know? Not to mention that it's untrue. Looks like justification for your previous post. Still doen't hide the thin-skinned hypocracy.

I should have said the mainstream news, I get news from more sources than just the usual suspects.

And it's hypocrisy not hypocracy

[edit on 12/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

That's all you've got? C'mon man, just admit you needed to take some frustration out on someone else and we can drop this.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

That's all you've got? C'mon man, just admit you needed to take some frustration out on someone else and we can drop this.

Hey, I didn't say I agreed with his statement, just that I found it funny...I think you Canucks need to get a better sense of humor.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
intrepid, y'all are a bit touchy about this eh? I was speaking with broad strokes and yes, the majority of the nations around the world have the locals speaking out against the US.

I've never seen 22 minutes or whatever the show is called but is certainly sounds like a funny show that pokes a lot of fun at the good ole usa. sadly, from your apparently angry response to my post, you don't have the same sense of humor when your country is the butt of the joke.

now, before you throw back some response that comes from your growing anger at this thread, let me say that Tucker Carlson calling canadians retarded is not funny. using the mentally challenged as a punchline is low grade humor. he'd have produced more of a laugh had he used the bush family as his low intelligence grading bar.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Hey, I didn't say I agreed with his statement, just that I found it funny...I think you Canucks need to get a better sense of humor.

That's a fall back position, another weak arguement. I'm not angry at all, why would I be? "Sense of humour", dude, we're Canucks, humour is a way of life for us. Think Mike Myers, Jim Carey, Leslie Neilson, they ARE us. Want to continue on this Magical Mystery Tour?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Want to continue on this Magical Mystery Tour?

No not really. I like Canadians, I really do! In fact I know a lot of really smart ones that live here in New York City...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

intrepid, y'all are a bit touchy about this eh? I was speaking with broad strokes and yes, the majority of the nations around the world have the locals speaking out against the US.

Not here, eh!

I've never seen 22 minutes or whatever the show is called but is certainly sounds like a funny show that pokes a lot of fun at the good ole usa. sadly, from your apparently angry response to my post, you don't have the same sense of humor when your country is the butt of the joke.

Wrong dude, "where's the anger"? Don't make me bring out an old lady to make this point. There's none there. Butt of a joke? No problem, we make more of them than anyone else. Check out Royal Canadian Air Farce, here's one:

now, before you throw back some response that comes from your growing anger at this thread, let me say that Tucker Carlson calling canadians retarded is not funny. using the mentally challenged as a punchline is low grade humor. he'd have produced more of a laugh had he used the bush family as his low intelligence grading bar.

What anger dude? You are reading something into this that isn't there. You really have to loosen up.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

No not really. I like Canadians, I really do! In fact I know a lot of really smart ones that live here in New York City...

they're all from montreal and not indicitive of canada as a whole.

I was going to plan another trip up to montreal to visit friends. I'm guessing we are no longer friends and, given the obvious anti-us sentiment that goes on up there, even on their tv shows (do have shows that spend the air time mocking canada?) I will instead head to tehran

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I can think of a genuine complaint regarding Canada. They drive or fly south, end up in the United States and go about committing gratuitous nice. They are polite, well mannered and educated. It is easy, therefore, to understand the fear and loathing experienced by someone like Tucker Carlson.
Tucker is a “conservative”; a name chosen by the radical right which they obviously prefer to ignorant, bigoted, unsophisticated and unread blowhards. They don’t even know the definition of the term conservative, otherwise they would realize that radical anything does not qualify for the term even as it is misused by the ignorant…yada yada blowhards they actually appear to be.
So don’t ride Tucker too hard, he already has enough problems dealing with his attempts to avoid reality; why should he be abused further by not being able to bash Mother Teresa, Canada, Father Damien, Mark Twain, or Will Rogers, or…for that matter, Mr. Rogers.
You go get em Tucker, we are all hanging on every spoon-fed babble you spew.
One more thing though, your type does not represent our country but we keep feeding you because to do otherwise would be abuse of lower life forms. I’m not talking dogs here; my dog has a better vocabulary than you and he doesn’t have a mean streak like you do. Not to worry however, we all understand your anger, dull people eventually figure out that they’re dull and it tends to tick them off.
skep

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

they're all from montreal and not indicitive of canada as a whole.

I was going to plan another trip up to montreal to visit friends. I'm guessing we are no longer friends and, given the obvious anti-us sentiment that goes on up there, even on their tv shows (do have shows that spend the air time mocking canada?) I will instead head to tehran

So as not to not violate our rules I'll add:

Man, you really have to learn how to debate. Your point has already been toasted.

" given the obvious anti-us sentiment that goes on up there, even on their tv shows (do have shows that spend the air time mocking canada?)" See my previous post. You DO read English, right?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
We make fun of ourselves more than we make fun of anyone else.

Watch this funny video from the Royal Canadian Air Farce and tell me we don't have a sense of humour.

www.airfarce.com...

And this is from our *cue scary music* government funded TV station.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
the royal canadian air farce makes fun of everything.

so does this hour has 22 minutes

and the rick mercer report.

and the daily show.

and that daily show spinoff.

And yes they are shown on CBC, payed for by the government.

*conspiracy*

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It's about what we're used to.

Canadians, in general, are much more self-critical about government than many other countries (while others are even MORE self-critical, look to Germany and Australia people!). So, when we see another country do something that we consider to be wrong, we like to jump on it. It also means we're a bit more involved in the politics of those that influence us most - such as Britain and the United States.

Fortunately/Unfortuantely, we don't have much to say about our nation's founders (the british) - as anything we say about ourselves pretty much sums up Britain too. We both have House of Commons, and extremely similar parliamentary systems - so a bash of one is a bash of both.

Fortunately, we can still make fun of the Queen and Royal Family!

But the USA is so different, and it is much more authority-driven than Canada or Britain, and it's much more "in your face" about things. This gives Canadians - comedians by birth for the most part - a big reason to complain about the US.

What do we Canadians expect Americans to do about our whinning? Suck it, or pay attention. Every other country in the world bashes the US about the same amount - it's just that we're one of the few to share a continent and language
- so it's harder to ignore us.

As for what should Americans expect of Canadians? Americans should realize that it's mostly all in good fun, and that us Canadians are both really proud of what the USA has done in the past, and are really proud to be their neighbours and friends. We criticize our own government just as much as we do yours, so don't worry, it's not really special attention you're getting. In Canada, it's practically EXPECTED for you to bash the Prime Minister, the first-past-the-post system, and the inefficiency of our government. In the US, I find, people don't like to trash-talk their policies or politicians... but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

This is why I LOVE John Stuart (and now also the Corbert report!) - because he's bringing the American people to laugh at politics, and in so doing - question the foundations of the political system and politicians. It's an excellent move which I'm glad has so much popularity.

To wrap up my comments on this, let me just say that, as a Canadian living in Ottawa, I would not rather live beside any country other than America! The balance and the harmony that exists between our nations is a symbol of security far past anything else in the world.

LONGEST UNDEFENDED BORDER!

You can't imagine how proud I feel that we can work so well together.

That said though, I would rather that other people controlled your country, and I wish that some of the people in your country would call into question their own government more often. If you can change the "take it or leave it" attitude and make it a "if you don't like it, change it" attitude - America would truely then become a blessed nation.

-------------------------------------------

"We got Jean Cretien, eh? The only man who goes, 'eh! I don't need no secret ser-vice! A guy comes to hit me I #'in knock him out, eh?"
-Robin Williams

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I found an old interview from CNN.

This is the lady that stepped on the doll, tucker carlson and wolf blitzer.

Tucker Carlson is a moron. Look at the comments he makes.

CARLSON: Well, you know, he doesn't want to get heckled. That's right. I'm glad to hear Ms. Parrish is not a heckler, merely a person who stomps on dolls. You've got to have standards. And I appreciate yours. No, look. Just simply because the United States and Canada disagree about the war in Iraq and they do doesn't mean they can't have productive conversations. I mean, the United States and China talk about all sorts of things. We're major trading partners. And I think in the end, it only hurts Canada, these attacks on the United States. Again, just to restate a pretty obvious point that I know is foremost on your mind, Ms. Parrish, Canada needs the United States. The United States does not need Canada. But you need us. And so to alienate our administration is probably not such a good idea.

PARRISH: Tucker, that's a really bad attitude, my friend...

CARLSON: It's true.

PARRISH: I think we need each other. I think we have got a long-term trade partnership. I think both countries benefit from that partnership. And when you say to us, we don't need you, that's not a way to make friends...

CARLSON: In fact, it's not even a value judgment, it's simply a recognition of economic reality. Of course it's good for the United States to trade with Canada, but it's vital for Canada to trade with the United States. So you gain nothing by alienating the administration.

PARRISH: It's pretty vital for California to take our hydro-oil (ph). I think it would be dark the next day. I think this is not a productive conversation. I think we're long-term friends, we are long-term trade partners. And we will weather this recent storm. We are fundamentally opposed to might is right and brute force and preemptive attacks on other countries. That's fundamental in Canada.

CARLSON: Well, you have the benefit of being protected by the United States and you can say that. But I think if Canada were responsible for its own security -- you would be invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States and so you...

PARRISH: We're a very secure nation because we haven't ticked off the rest of the world. We march with the world. We're not out of step.

BLITZER: Tucker, don't you believe that this 3,000-mile border that the United States shares with Canada that it's imperative that the U.S. has a friendly ally on the other side?

CARLSON: Oh, of course. In the end, the countries are friendly. There are some French politicians who get something out of...

BLITZER: But when you say the United States doesn't need Canada, the United States has a 3,000-mile border with Canada.

CARLSON: My only point is as a matter of trade, Canada is far more dependent on the U.S. than the U.S. is on Canada. That's simply a fact, again, not even a value judgment. But of course the United States needs a good relationship with Canada and I suspect it will always have one unless some separatist government comes to power and the country splits into two, which is always possible. But short of that, no, absolutely the countries will remain allies and there will always be politicians who see it to their benefit to stomp on Bush dolls. But no, I don't think the average Canadian feels -- the average Canadian is busy dogsledding. You know that.

PARRISH: That is such -- that's such a caricature and you have to understand from this lowly backbencher that shouldn't even be on your show, I am of total insignificance within my own party and within the country, you're sure putting up a lot of fuss and putting a lot of attention on this. It shows a very weak ego, in my opinion. I think if you're as strong as you say you are, anything I have got to say can't hurt you.

BLITZER: I will point out to our viewers as well as to Carolyn Parrish that Tucker Carlson often speaks with tongue in cheek. Is that a fair assessment, Tucker? Just want to make sure our viewers don't literally believe that every word that you're saying.

CARLSON: I don't think every Canadian is dogsledding at all times but I do think there's a lot of dogsledding in Canada. Yes, I do think that's true.

PARRISH: Very little, my friend.

CARLSON: You know that's true, Carolyn. (UNINTELLIGIBLE). But there's a lot of dogsledding.

PARRISH: No, there's not a lot of dogsledding. There's a lot of dog walking, my friend. Not a lot of dogsledding.

CARLSON: Welcome to our century.

BLITZER: There's some dogsledding in the United States as well, including the beautiful state of Alaska. Tucker Carlson speaking tongue in cheek sometimes, not always. Sometimes.

Carolyn Parrish, you're an important guest. All of our guests are important. Thanks very much for joining us.

PARRISH: Thank you, Wolf. I've enjoyed it. Thank you, Tucker.

CARLSON: Thanks. Thanks a lot, Carolyn. See you in Canada.

PARRISH: Yep.

BLITZER: U.S.-Canadian relations, a very, very important subject to all of our viewers, both south and north of the U.S. border.

Google Cache

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
If, in the family tree, Canada is a "retarded cousin" then Tucker Carlson is the fat, greasy, out-of-work, bad comb-over, boil-covered @ss, toothless, alcoholic, feces-caked fingernails, pedophile uncle.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
I found an old interview from CNN.

CARLSON: Ms. Parrish, Canada needs the United States. The United States does not need Canada. But you need us. And so to alienate our administration is probably not such a good idea.

CARLSON: Of course it's good for the United States to trade with Canada, but it's vital for Canada to trade with the United States. So you gain nothing by alienating the administration.

CARLSON: My only point is as a matter of trade, Canada is far more dependent on the U.S. than the U.S. is on Canada. That's simply a fact, again, not even a value judgment.

Canada needs the United States? The United States does not need Canada?
Oh really? I wonder if Carlson can sing 'Roll Out The Barrels'...of oil?

While it is well known to Canadians that the United States is Canada’s largest trading partner, the fact is less well known that Canada is the United States’ largest trading partner, although to a much less significant extent, however, this may soon change. Various US energy security measures indicate that the potential for an energy shortage in the US is high. Canada is the largest supplier of crude oil to the United States, or the leading source of foreign oil for the United States, providing one-sixth of the 10 million barrels imported each day.

From the San Francisco Chronicle
FUELING AMERICA
OIL'S DIRTY FUTURE
Canadian oil sands: Vast reserves second to Saudi Arabia will keep America moving, but at a steep environmental cost

Robert Collier, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Fort McMurray, Alberta -- At the end of a long northern highway, surrounded by a flat horizon of spruce forest and muskeg swamp, lies the energy future of the United States: the largest known petroleum deposit in the world outside Saudi Arabia.

Alberta's oil sands are destined to be the main supply of foreign oil to the United States for at least the next century. The sands hold proven reserves of 175 billion barrels, second only to Saudi Arabia's 262 billion, and far more than the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's estimated 10 billion.

If Americans want to keep filling their gasoline tanks at a reasonable cost, they will need the oil sands industry to push ahead on its expected path of doubling, tripling and even quadrupling production in coming years.

Carlson 'Your Doormat' (remember the 70s TV show 'Rhoda'?) should not overestimate Canada's economic &/or otherwise dependence on the US & underestimate America's similarly dependence on Canada.

From Forbes.com: 'Canada To Compete In Oil Market'
Oxford Analytica, 02.17.05, 6:00 AM ET

Canada's elevated position in international oil markets could have significant economic and foreign policy benefits. China has included Canada in its global search for stable and secure sources of oil to fuel its rapidly expanding economy. Beijing's growing interest in Alberta's tar sands provides Ottawa with an opportunity to strengthen its political and economic relationship with Asia's rising superpower. Prime Minister Paul Martin last month undertook a multi-country tour of Asia, during which he visited China, India, Japan and Hong Kong. During talks with Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao, Martin discussed a broad range of issues, including U.N. reform, public health and global environmental challenges. By positioning Canada as a reliable partner ready to supply China with its oil needs, Ottawa is able to build a platform for broader policy dialogue.

China's interest in Canada's tar sands has caused some consternation in Washington. Canada is the largest supplier of crude oil to the United States, and in 2001 the U.S. National Energy Policy report cited the development of the tar sands as a key component of Washington's strategy to ensure a secure supply of energy.

In this context, China's interest is seen as a potential strategic threat to the US. Already, a pipeline is being planned to facilitate the export of tar sands oil to China. As Chinese state-run companies contemplate taking ownership stakes in the Canadian oil interests, U.S. officials are concerned that they are losing access to a reliable and relatively inexpensive source of crude oil to a rising superpower. At a time when Ottawa is attempting to strengthen its relationship with its principal trading partner, Washington's uneasiness is disconcerting.

CARLSON: Well, you have the benefit of being protected by the United States and you can say that. But I think if Canada were responsible for its own security -- you would be invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States...

As for Canada being invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States...I'd be more concerned about the US invading Canada by justification of an alleged terrorist attack planned by Bush neocon military authorities to create a series of incidents involving loss of American lives through the actions of phony terrorists in order to persuade the US to:
Is the Annexation of Canada part of Bush's Military Agenda?

Why? Hint: Canada stands to benefit considerably from its reserves in terms of trade, investment and its strategic position in Asia. U.S. concerns about Chinese purchasing of oil will need to be very carefully managed with the Bush Administration.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
intrepid you again have this angry post responding to my joke. Let me clarify this for you in very simple terms.

I WAS KIDDING

I love canada and think carlson's comments were not even funny.

I was, basically, stoking the coals for laughs. I didn't expect a native of the country that provided the world with so many of the funniest folks around to be so slow in seeing sarcasm and humor.
think I'm still serious, check the link for canadian comics

particle.physics.ucdavis.edu...

however, I will hold every goddam canadian responsible for Bryan Adams, Celine Dion and that morrisette chick. you have no excuses for that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join