It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada the 'Retarded Cousin' of the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Great. More Canada bashing.

Last week, MSNBC host Tucker Carlson, a well-known conservative pundit, let loose with a string of anti-Canada rants.

"Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, has left Canada and is now living in New York," he said.

"Canada is a sweet country. It is like your retarded cousin you see at Thanksgiving and sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice but you don't take him seriously. That's Canada."

Carlson also said it's pointless to tell Canada to stop criticizing the United States.

"It only eggs them on. Canada is essentially a stalker, stalking the United States, right? Canada has little pictures of us in its bedroom, right?"

"It's unrequited love between Canada and the United States. We, meanwhile, don't even know Canada's name. We pay no attention at all," he said.

Blah blah blah.

Douglas MacKinnon, a press secretary to former Republican senator Bob Dole, also recently accused Canada of harbouring terrorists.

"Can Canada really be considered our friend anymore?" he asked in a recent commentary in the right-wing Washington Times newspaper.

"What other question can be asked when the Canadian government not only willingly allows Islamic terrorists into their country but does nothing to stop them from entering our nation?"

Blah blah blah.

Get on the bandwagon. Canada bashing is the next big thing.

Toronto Star
Canoe.ca
Yahoo

Personally, I think Tucker Carlson should come speak to the citizens of Canada, all 12 of us, and tell us how retarded we are.

I hope I can understand his big words.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

During the Fox segment, while Cavuto whined about us, the text at the bottom of the screen read:

CANADA: AN ENEMY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

:shk:

mediamatters.org...

No, blame Canada
Blame Canada
With all their beady little eyes
And flappin heads so full of lies
Blame Canada
Blame Canada
We need to form a full assault
It's Canadas fault!

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
why should we care what he says. This is a guy who probably looks in the mirror every morning and thinks he looks good
before he leaves the house. Besides I like to think of Canada as a big slumbering dog(no purebred here, maybe cross or mutt, much friendlier and smarter)who lifts it's big craggy head once in awhile to oversee the tundra.

But, any foe daring or stupid enough to try and take that bone hiding under it's ear may find Canada's bite far worse than it's bark

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Great. More Canada bashing.

Blah blah blah.

Get on the bandwagon. Canada bashing is the next big thing.

Hell, why not, Dulcimer?
You are certainly having no problems going along with the current Canadian past-time trend of bashing the US.

I mean geez, whats the real problem here?
One can throw the stone, but when the stone is cast back, thats not fair?
Hey, what's good for the goose is good enough for the gander.

seekerof

[edit on 19-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
How have I bashed the United States?

So I bring up the issues our leaders have with the United States leaders, thats not bashing.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Tucker Carlson is an idiot whose opinion means nothing.

BTW, I thought this was about a Rick Mercer bit as he did a special once where he was telling Americans that Canadians had recently been found to be retarded and asked if they thought Canadians should be ashamed of that or if they should accept it.

Mercer is good at making people look like idiots and should have no trouble with Tucker Carlson.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   

"Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, has left Canada and is now living in New York,"

Anybody with any ambition at all, or intelligence, will stay in Canada and not live in New York or in any other part of the US because the US Patriot Act may restrict the movements and actions of intelligent & ambitious 'Anybodies'. One of several examples, case in point:

From Susan Herman, a professor of law at the Brooklyn Law School

People don’t know whom the government is watching and what information it is surveying, Herman said. Without knowing, people are afraid to use the Internet, they are afraid to attend mosques and they are afraid to check out books from the library for fear that they might be targeted, she said.

“At what point can you limit speech and association?” Herman asked. “People will, in fact, muzzle themselves. There’s this whole chilling effect.”

Herman cited a case where a student was researching information for a paper on the Boulder Dam. In doing so, the student visited several Web sites about the construction of dams. Before he knew it, the police were at his door questioning why he was researching dam construction, she said. The student had become a suspected terrorist.

Anyone with any intelligence wouid not have supported an invasion of a sovereign country based on false and overstated intelligence.

Anybody with any intelligence realizes that Tucker Carlson’s statements about Canada are characteristic of those from a guy who has spent most of his lifelong learning days in kindergarten school.

"Canada...is like your retarded cousin you see at Thanksgiving and sort of pat him on the head. You know, he's nice but you don't take him seriously. That's Canada."

The United States is like a neurotic, insecure & self doubting cousin who needs to regularly camouflage his true identity with false self-esteem resulting from delusions of grandeur. Once his true identity is revealed by his silent & self assured global cousins, he typically resorts to strings of personal rants in order to convince himself he’s more superior. That's America...with or without the Patriot Act.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by evilution]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
As an American, living in Canada, I was genuinely touched and overwhelmed at the support that Canadians demonstrated for the United States after 9-11. There were American flags flying from people's homes and Canadians were sincerely upset, concerned and sympathetic for the United States and Americans. Now, all I can say is "what happened?"

Recently, whenever I mention to someone that I am an American, the first thing that they say is "Bush is an idiot" or "the US should get out of Iraq". It would seem that whatever love or caring that many had for the US has simply dissappeared. Furthermore, it would seem to me that Canadians have done more than their share of America bashing in recent months. I even recall several parliamentarians slamming the US.

But let's keep this in perspective. Ever since I was a kid, growing up in Detroit, I can remember how Americans would laugh at Canada and make jokes about Canadian Currency calling it "monopoly money" or that it had to be color coded because Canadians were retarded. This type of sniping has gone on for years. Canadians, however, do have one justification that, perhaps, the US does not in this realm of bashing and defaming each other; Canadians know considerably more about the US than Americans know about Canada.

Americans put down Canada because, well, they can. There doesn't really seem to be any other reason. Americans, for the most part, consider Canada as some sort of third cousin with a slight speech impediment when saying the word "about". Americans think of Canada as some sort of big, harmless oaf "next door". In other words, Americans know, for the most part, practically nothing about Canada. Canadians, on the other hand, know a lot about the US. They have to!

What is sad, however, is that a long-standing amicable friendship between these two great neighbor states is threatened by a flurry of namecalling whose only real purpose seems to be a sort of one upmanship. Canadians are angry at America because Canada is always the last one to be consulted by the Americans before the US does anything and Americans are angry at Canada for simply not allying itself with the US regardless of what they might do. It's really quite petty and sort of ridiculous.

The only real grievance that these two countries might have is the long standing lumber tariff disagreement. Why can't the US and Canada simply deal with this first before going on to a level of name calling that I haven't witnessed since the first grad e?

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well said BT. "What happened" you ask? It's you Benevolent Dictator who just does as he pleases. He cares little for his own constituents and less for the rest of the world. It's sad that it creeps into conversation and daily life between our peoples but HE'S the reason.

Edit to add: On the topic, I could care less what that journalist(?) thinks of Canada.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by intrepid]

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If Canadians want to feel better after hearing Tucker Carlson's comments, just download this Rick Mercer special, 'Talking to Americans'.

s52.yousendit.com...

It's about 50 minutes long.
I've shrunk it down to 50MB so it wont take too long to download.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I saw this live and knew it'd eventually show up here

I thought it was funny, but I guess I wouldn't if I was a Canadian...

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I saw this live and knew it'd eventually show up here

I thought it was funny, but I guess I wouldn't if I was a Canadian...

No, what's really funny is that if one of our journalist had said that about America there would be a HUGE outcry about bashing America which I have no doubt you would be near the lead in the crying. Talk about hypocracy.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm just wondering when I can except Ann Coulter to chime in?

I guess it might have been funny. In a Carolyn Parrish stomping on a George Bush doll kind of way.......

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
No, what's really funny is that if one of our journalist had said that about America there would be a HUGE outcry about bashing America which I have no doubt you would be near the lead in the crying. Talk about hypocracy.

Your journalists bash America day in and day out, and it hardly ever even makes the news here, and when it does, I don't take that much notice...the only time I've truly been upset and insulted by anything done or said up in Canada was when that member of Parliament stepped on the head of a GWB doll on the job.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
She wasn't at work, she was on a comedy show when she did that. The funniest thing I have seen happen in government was MLA Joy McPhail sending a dancing penis down the desk during question period.
God that was funny!!!

I'm aware this probably isn't making you feel better, but it's always good to get things straight.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wonder if Mr. Carlson holds similar opinions toward the rest of the nations of the world.

Are we to conclude from his statements that America is the only nation inhabited by intelligent or ambitious people?

That's a pretty tough argument to back up.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Your journalists bash America day in and day out, and it hardly ever even makes the news here, and when it does, I don't take that much notice...the only time I've truly been upset and insulted by anything done or said up in Canada was when that member of Parliament stepped on the head of a GWB doll on the job.

That's an oxymoron, if they do it all the time and it hardly makes the news, how would you know? Not to mention that it's untrue. Looks like justification for your previous post. Still doen't hide the thin-skinned hypocracy.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
She wasn't at work, she was on a comedy show when she did that.

Thanks for the clarification Duzey

I thought she was actually in the Parliament building when she did that.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
No problem.

She was on This Hour Has 22 Minutes when that happened and she was kicked out of caucus for her behaviour.

If you want to relive the experience, the video is archived on their site.

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
everyone bashes the U.S. these days. Hell, half of all out citizens bash the current administration. What I find funny is that every country around the world tears into the US, their policies, their leaders etc but someone from the US sends a little back and they get all upset.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with Carlson. I'm merely saying that you should not dish it out if being served a big fat steaming pile of the same is going to make you cry.

Robin Williams put it best:
"Canada is like a loft above a great party and they're always telling us to keep it down"

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join