It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member concepts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Gravity Pulse Propulsion, or "Gravitic Pulse Drive" (GPD)

(Please be kind, I have ZERO scientific training or background, what I suggest seems to be possible to me, but may be simple fantasy.)

Imagine if we could create short pulses or bursts of gravity, either pushing away from, or pulling towards objects subject to the laws of gravity?

Well, space is just jam packed with objects with gravitic forces to pull from. Why not harness the massive abundance of gravitic influence in space?

If we could create a drive that could produce short and variable pulses of electro magnetic energy to either attract or repel gravity fields from celestial objects, we could have a propulsion system that would require no fuel other than stored electricity. And that could be gathered using solar, nuclear, etc methods.

I imagine a spacecraft using this drive. It would measure all the surrounding gravity influences affecting the ship and their intensities and directions 1000’s of times per second. Then depending on where the ship is being directed to travel, it would pulse the appropriate amount of gravity to either pull or push it closer to its destination.

Picture Tarzan swinging through the vines, always looking ahead to anticipate which vine will best get him to his destination, but no single vine leading exactly in the right direction.. Or like a sail boat tacking up wind, at moments heading in the wrong direction, but placing the boat in ever better positions to arrive at its goal using what ever the wind decides to do.

And with no resistances affecting the craft, speed is theoretically unlimited, the longer the trip, the higher the speeds that could be attained. Actually, depending on the strength of the bodies of gravity near the craft, its acceleration (or deceleration) could be mighty impressive.

I also imagine this technology being applied to conventional terrestrial aircraft as well.

Anyways, that’s my idea and I am sticking with it…

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So I was bored the ohter day after doing some homework and I started thinking about this topic again.
First, I thought about the limited capablities of robots. And the limited capablities of robots on Mars. After some critical thinking I came to the conclusion that there are also limited capablities of delivering robots to Mars, etc, etc.

What I derived from this is that we do not have any capable plan of delivering a robot to Mars to dig holes and collect various soil samples (correct me if wrong). More importantly, do we have robots which can navigate through holes already dug?

Well here was my assertion: If we can create a small atmosphere of suffecient oxygen concentration (earth atmosphere) covering a certain amount of surface area, we may very well be able to have such robots to navigate through existing holes. I am not too sure about the details and order of operations, but go along with me on this...

We create an atmosphere from an inflatable material which covers a limited amount of surface area and a small volume. We then place moles into this atmosphere and have them dig holes. Not just any moles, but genetically fit moles to dig deeper and faster than the normal mole in order to retrieve soil samples at various levels. Or a robot can be used to navigate through the holes to retrieve soil after the mole is finished. This eliminates the burrowing capablity that some/many/all robots lack.

[edit on 22-12-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Thats a pretty good idea Frosty, the only issue I see, is how to keep the moles from popping up outside the oxygenated area.

I suppose if you implanted a device in them, or even gave them minor sentience, that would solve the problem.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Sorry to burst your bubble there skippytjc, but as far as we know, we cannot influence gravity in such ways.

To influence gravity would require that there be gravity fields or gravitons - but neither have been found (although you could argue that the curvature of space-time is a gravity field). Secondly, we'd have to have something that could influence gravity, and which we could control both the amplitude and the way in which the "something" influences gravity.

Electromagnetic fields do not influence gravity. Instead, it overpowers it. It's like two toy cars pushing a box in opposite directions. Electromagnetism is a bigger and stronger car, and so will push the box in the direction it wants. It doesn't force the gravity car to stop trying though - and that little gravity car will keep pushing in the opposite direction.

As for crazy theories...

We're doing as best as we can with current technologies. This doesn't mean we're doing good though. New technologies need to be researched more than moving off of this rock.

Invest more resources into the creation of microsingularities and controllable black holes in an effort to breach the 4th dimension of space-time, allowing for travelling across vast distances without the need to travel with the normal flow of time.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well there is Subquantum Kinetics, not sure how viable this theory is or if it is even science as I barely understand it but I thought I would throw it out there.

scholar.google.com...

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial

According to this theory it should be possible to manipulate gravity with electromagnetic field, how this is accomplished I have no idea but it probably has something to do with superconducting disks or somesuch. Sounds like rubbish but who knows eh?

[edit on 28-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Seeing as a bunch of the ideas here remind me of things like star wars (the gravity pushing and pulling idea) or halo (all the magnetic accelerators and stuff). I would personally like to see a MAC gun or on a realistic realtime idea how about that once we get the technology and find a suitable location we make a colony ship, like the Mayflower of space. Put a bunch of people on a ship in cryostasis and send them to a planet however far away. All we need is a planet and cryostasis and say a lot of money. No possiable now but maybe in 50 or so years.

posted on Dec, 28 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
more like 100 years. We barely understand the most basic facets of cryogenics and space exploration. I think we'll need a little more time than 50 years just because of financial reasons alone- much less lack or proper research.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well maybe but you also have to remember that our knowledge base is exponentionally increasing, if I maybe it doubles every 2 years or something outragous like that, so who knows.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join