It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex Change for sports players

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I was sitting here watching a women's basketball game when something hit me. What if a man has a sex change? Can he play for instance basketball on a woman's team?

This could go the same for the Olympics. Do we go by the sex at birth or at the time of the event? I got to thinking about this because most women do not "dunk" the basketball, and men still have an edge on speed, etc?

I am not talking about a man pretending to be a woman, like on the move Juanaman. I am talking about someone actually having the operation.

I think that this will come up. Is it discrimination if they are not allowed to play, even if they have had their sex legally changed?

I would like to hear some of your oppinions on this.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wow...You know I've never really thought about this..It also got me thinking, do men and women have some special characteristics in sports. For instance men being able to lets say jump higher (Just and example no Idea if it's true) and this guy knew if he got a sex change he could play in the WNBA, and would have a really big advantage on all the other players. Would he be able to get a sex change, but still have the same characteristics and then play and have an advantage..? Just wondering haha I know I'm not into ANY sport enough to become a women..

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
After the Soviets began fielding female competitors with chest hair the Olympic committee decided to impliment geneder testing.

www.pponline.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I wondered about the gender testing for the olympics, thought I heard of it somewhere. I don't know of anyone who wants to play a sport so much that they would go through a sex change operation to play. But if they were transgendered and it was a move they had already made, I don't think it would be anyone's business-- if they were professional sports players. They all have to reach a certain standard to play. A male changing to a female may have some benefit of added height and maybe more muscle, but that may be countered by endurance that the female body seems to have. I don't know of many men who could last more than an hour or 2 in labour.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Have we already forgotten about Dr. Renee Richards? No wonder:

Observer

New York 1960-1977

When Renee Richards stepped on to court to play Virginia Wade at the 1977 US Open she was making her debut in the women's singles - 17 years after she, or rather he, had made his debut in the men's singles. In 1975, Richards had a sex-change operation and the Richard H. Raskind who competed at the 1960 US Open became Renee Richards, who, after a ruling by the New York State Superior Court, took part in the same tournament - but different singles - in 1977. One thing remained unaltered though - the American transsexual's tennis playing ability. Raskind lost his first-round match in straight sets, and so did Richards.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Renee Richards
amazon.com

sacstonewall.org

The Stonewall Democratic Club of Greater Sacramento today congratulated to IOC in its landmark decision Monday to allow transsexuals to compete in the Olympics for the first time.

Under a proposal approved by the IOC executive board, athletes who have undergone sex-change surgery will be eligible for the Olympics if their new gender has been legally recognized and they have gone through a minimum two-year period of postoperative hormone therapy.

The decision, which covers both male-to-female and female-to-male cases, goes into effect starting with the Athens Olympics in August.

"Today's decision invokes the memory of Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympics', when he said, 'All sports for all people'," said Daniel Roth, President of the Stonewall Democratic Club of Greater Sacramento. "All too often transgender Americans are left behind in our fight for equal rights. The IOC's decision today made sure that transgender athletes from around the world can share equally in the Olympic dream."

IOC medical director Patrick Schamasch said no specific sports had been singled out by the ruling. "Until now, we didn't have any rules or regulations," he said. "We needed to establish some sort of policy." "Stonewall, as well as athletes around the world, praise the IOC for embracing the Olympic tradition of providing equal rights for all athletes and not allowing discrimination to sneak into the Olympic Games," Roth concluded.

transolympics

On May 17th, the long fought transsexual battle to compete in the Olympics appreciated a sweet victory. The International Olympic Committee, after long consideration of medical issues, ruled that as long as an athlete's gender is legally recognized and s/he has completed at least two years of post-op hormone therapy, s/he can legally compete in the games. The ruling takes effect immediately, though it's still unclear if any transsexuals will compete in the 2004 Athens Olympics this August.

Gender separation, ambiguity and verification have long been debated when it comes to Olympic participation. This recent decision is obviously controversial, not so much due to overt discrimination, but based on the undisputable physical differences between men and women, including lung capacity, heart capacity and muscle-to-fat ratio.

Doctors have concluded, however, that postoperative hormone therapy effectively alters testosterone levels and muscle mass. IOC medical director Patrick Schamasch stated, "We will have no discrimination. The IOC will respect human rights." The IOC ruling does not, however, mean that this will be the first time a transsexual competes in the Olympics. Several historical Olympians have had their gender questioned after the fact. In 1932, Polish-American runner Stella Walsh sprinted her way to the gold in the 100-meter dash. In 1975, Walsh was inducted into the U.S. Track and Field Hall of Fame. After her death by a stray bullet in Cleveland, her autopsy shocked the world by revealing that she had male genitals and both female and male chromosomes (a condition known as mosaicism).

[edit on 2005/12/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wow. I don;t understand why anyone would want to get a sex change...i mean God made you a male or female for some reason or another...i mean just deal with it. This world is messed up...

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Unless God did not make us and we are a product of genetic evolution that has yet to be fully recognized by science. Chromosone imbalance. let's try to Keep an open mind here. Don't let the bible close it just yet.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I never will forget when India tried to submit a male-to-female volleyball team.
Too many accidents.

posted on Dec, 21 2022 @ 03:12 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join