It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-18 Active

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I have a picture showed that a F-18 also used foreplane like F-15 ACT and Su-35, who can tell me whether this lyout ever be used infact or in wind tunnel mockup?
external image

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/12/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Though I think I'm stating the obvious, that is nothing more than just a 3-D rendering someone slapped together. First of all, for the F-15 active program, the canards that were attached to the F-15s were actually reworked elevator fins from the Hornet. Seeing as how both planes have ties to McDonnell Douglas, they just used existing tech they had lying around which fit the bill. The only 2 highly modified versions of the F-18 that I know of are:

1) HARV (HighAlpha Research Vehicle) Started in '87 and lasted 10 years, this project was used to test the limits of a fighter's ability to engage a target using high angles of atacks. Eventually the project led to the Aircraft being fitted with experimental thrust-vectoring engines.

NASA F-18 HARV

2)Next, starting in 2001,NASA began experiments with a modified F-18 that featured AAW's, or Active Aeroelastic Wings. These extended, reinforced wing structures are desinged to actually TWIST in place slightly to allow the plane to roll and bank without relying solely on just the use of traditional ailerons and leading-edge flaps.

NASA F-18 AAW

[edit on 18-12-2005 by PrototypeGamma]

[edit on 18-12-2005 by PrototypeGamma]

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Looks liek a model for a simulator game such as X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Simulator...I bet it's for X-Plane.

This is definitly fake
and as far as I know no attempts have been made to make a hornet with Canards.

new topics

join