It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. (Army?) Delta Force discussion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ok, the main idea to this post is to talk about Delta Force, but you're welcome to post info comparing Delta Force to other Special Forces, (KSK, GIGN, SAS, SPETSNATZ GRU, Etc.) But I do not want to see anyone forcing " So-and-so are the best special forces no question" Because, you can't really say anyone is the best, Spetsnatz have intense training yes, however SEALS and SAS do too (I've even heard rumors of SAS cross training with Delta Force) and no saying that KSK, and GIGN are completly different from Spetnatz, SAS, SEALS, Rangers etc. because they are basically the same thing, Special Forces, doesn't matter if they're CT or Military related.

Anyways, to get this started, I've heard that Delta Force members arn't even 'real' soldiers, (as in they wear what they want, grow out their hair and beards, and use costom equipment.) However this is only what I have heard and I have no evidence really to back this up.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The movie Swordfish was supposed to be based on Delta Force. I've read the book "Delta Force : The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit" written by Colonel Charlie A Beckwith (Retired), the man who started Delta Force.

They pick, the best of the best, of all the Nations Special Forces, & then they adapt to whatever situation they need to, changing clothing, looking like other people, whatever they need to do.

I'm looking at the books, after grabbing it so I got the title exaclt right. Funny thing is, the symbol of Delta Force, is a large green triangle with a sword through another smaller triangle/lightning bolt in the middle of it. It sure look a lot like the "All Seeing Eye" of the Illuminati & Masons.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Swordfish? I think I may have it mixed up with something else, but isn't that the movie where they steal the bus with the helicopter or w/e? I'll have to watch it sometime.

One thing I find funny is how the U.S. Government still denies the existance of Delta Force (forgot the formal name, isn't it Special Operations Detatchment Delta?)

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   
No, you got the right movie, & you bet that's what it's called.

The point of the movie, was to create "terror", as a means to keep their budget going, because they'd have to fight an imaginary force, the straw adversary.

Delta Force has been mentioned in the "War On Terror" along side the Navy SEAL's, Special Forces, & everyone else currently in Iraq & Afghanistan.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I've heard people say that Delta Force sends many of their "fresh" recruits to train with the 22nd SAS. But most of the people who tell me this are from the UK so I'm not so sure on its legitimacy (not calling anyone from the UK a liar, but I ment as in a sense like they want it to seem that SAS is the best.)

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I suggest you read his book. He was sent to cross-train with the SAS in the UK. So, he got international cross training. You can sit in Barnes & Nobel & read it there, if you can't afford it.

He tells about the politics behind starting up a totally new arena of warfare in the book.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frost2k6
I've heard people say that Delta Force sends many of their "fresh" recruits to train with the 22nd SAS. But most of the people who tell me this are from the UK so I'm not so sure on its legitimacy (not calling anyone from the UK a liar, but I ment as in a sense like they want it to seem that SAS is the best.)

Orignially when Delta was first set up Beckwith used the Brit SAS training methods. However now, they don't recieve any training from the 22 SAS as they are just as capable and use techniques of their own now.

The SAS is just far more public than American Special Forces, just look at all the books former members have written, some truthful and some not ( as in the case of Bravo Two Zero ).

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I believe that a thred of this kind has already been posted here, and should therefore not be posted again..

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Delta and the SAS have joint training missions. The SAS doesn't train Delta force, though Delta force was indeed in large part modeled after the SAS. These Delta men are all 27+ and have had years of SF training in the SEALS, Rangers, etc.. They pick the best of the best.

One interesting note unlike the SAS. The US government has never officially acknowledged the existence of Delta Force. Its alittle like Area51 awhile back they never acknowledged it existed but its clear it did.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I have one question, just how big is Delta Force? I know the US has something like 40,000 Spec Ops so how much of that is Delta?

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The topic of "Special (Operation) Forces" has surely been beaten to death, and a Forum search would have revealed that

Anyways, what you heard about them not being real "soldiers" is wrong. Of course every regular member of every SOF team is a soldier, because they are "employees" of an official armed force, they act according to the rules set forth by the governing institution, and they receive their training and equipment in accordance with official standards and regulations.

That certain common military rules are bent or differ for SOF units doesnt make them less a soldier, it is only a reaction to their unusual duties and mission profiles. One of these duties can be interaction with local groups/civilians in a particular mission theater, and in regions where beards and/or certain other "fashions" (Shemags for example) are usual or even a symbol of manhood or rank, then they grow beards etc. to better blend in.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Back to the whole 'growing out beards thing for a sec.....

The whole point of SF troops (whether they're Delta, SAS, SEALs, or whatever) growing out beards/facial hair is so that the general public will look at them and think, "No, they can't be SF, they're not clean-cut enough."

Think of it as reverse psychology. Most average citizens think that military forces are always clean-cut - buzz cut, no facial hair, etc...... It makes perfect sense for SF troopers to intentionally NOT fit that profile. The general public tends to believe what they see in the media, and what they see in the media are these 'clean-cut' soldiers. Just watch Top Gun or GI Jane.

As for custom equipment, you better believe it. Special Forces troops get guns like the MP5-N, the massive 50 cal sniper rifle (although i believe the whole US Army uses it too) and miscellaneous gadgets that look like they've been pulled out of a Star Trek episode. I've heard that Delta has a tool in its possession that can track humans through the EMP of their hearts...much like the ones in the book Rainbow Six.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I've heard of that heart sensor too, however I havn't heard of the Delta Operators using them. But I did notice it's mention in Rainbow six aswell (it's also in the game Rainbow Six 3: Lockdown)

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I have one question, just how big is Delta Force? I know the US has something like 40,000 Spec Ops so how much of that is Delta?

According Eric L. Haney, a founding member of Delta Force.

It has never had more than a few hundred men on its roster

Its a vague number but either way its only a very small fraction of the SF personal in the US Military.

link

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
The SAS is just far more public than American Special Forces, just look at all the books former members have written, some truthful and some not ( as in the case of Bravo Two Zero ).

Actually the MOD wont disclose any info about SAS unit operations, I mean sure you can know about them (part of the detrant factor I think) but knowing what they do is something diffrent.

The UK uses the SBS for covert now adays due to it being so secrative.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

It is well documented that SAS and Delta spend alot of time training together. This was originally in order to share training methods, though now it is more to be aware of each others SOPs to aid multi-national support ops. They do work together on ops, so it makes sense to train together to be aware of each others limitations and capabilities.

Several SF units from all over the world train together for the same reasons.

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I know the Australian SASR has 2 members permanently sationed in the US. One with Delta and the other with the SEALS.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Anyways, to get this started, I've heard that Delta Force members arn't even 'real' soldiers, (as in they wear what they want, grow out their hair and beards, and use costom equipment.) However this is only what I have heard and I have no evidence really to back this up.

And where the heck did you heard about Delta members not being "real" soldiers? Do you even spend the time to look as to where the members of Delta came from just before being admitted into the force?

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I knew they drew their members from actuall soldiers. What I ment is that they wouldn't like be listed as soldiers ,they the ywould have alias job or something.

posted on Dec, 19 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I reemeber reading about one guy that was a Delta Operator for a long time. His wife actually thought he was an operator in the Army like the kind that operates a switchboard
until he finally told her after he was retired!

Isn't the main Delta HQ @ Ft Bragg, NC? I know someone who was in the army that went there and saw the building with the delta logo on the sign, and IIRC they said they even sold coffee mugs, tshirts etc in the gift shop with the logo and "delta" name all while the govt denied the existence of delta

I read some of Richard Marcinko's book but I cant remember if he ever did anything with Charlie Beckwith and or Delta?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join