It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armadillo like vehicle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
graniteglobalservices.com...

Even though it looks ugly, as long as it can protect soldiers or VIPs better than Humvees and private owned armored SUVs, that dont really matter. I dont understand why they have desert camo BDU decorated inside the vehicle.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
They couldnt afford the whole leather upholstery

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Defintly not for troopers, its well amoured and comfortable!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Thats only good for small arms fire, and IED under that thing would be catastrophic. Its basically a Ford F-something or other with an armored body.

Most IED worthy APC's are designed from the ground up with a deflecting shape on the undercarriage. This thing is flat, may as well be a sail...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This looks like something that the UN might use....
It would probably make for a good armored command vehicle, too, with all of that room inside. Looks like you could make it bristle with machine guns/grenade launchers too.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
skippytjc:
You mean vehicles like
South African Casspir

or Finnish Xa-185

which both have an exellent track record on crew/passenger survivability in mine explosions... (and both have resieved their fair share)

Ps. Xa-185 is other ways good vehicle, but its side armour is way too thin, and the damn steel bucket is cold as hell in winters (trust me i've been in one at -25C) and the passenger compartment heater has less power than a hair dryer

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
For some reason, these vehicles look so old. I don't have any pictures to contribute, but thought I'd post a comment anyway.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
"This looks like something that the UN might use.... "

I'd have to agree, it does look very 'UNish' if I may say... Wonder what it would look like with an UN paintjob? Haha I'm almost tempted to plop it into photoshop and find out. But I'm not that curious.

Wonder if theres models with MG's mounted on those roof ports.

Also on another note, Isn't the U.S. Stryker based off of the Xa-185 ?

(sorry for straying a little off topic
)

posted on Dec, 18 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Nothing new on Xa-185 or casspir, i just posted them as design examples of IED resistant designs.. (Xa-185 has never lost a passenger in mine explosions and it's had a few even from 6kg AT mines)

Frost stryker bears more resemblance to Patria AMV a newer 8x8 version of Finnish APC

xa-185 is from late '80s the most current version is of 6x6 APCs from patria is Xa-203 with updated armour and remote AAMG turret.

Btw does anyone know what is the fastest APC? since Xa-185 can clock about 125km/h (don't believe what websites say, i've seen it do that to police radar driver got 500€ fine for speeding)

new topics

top topics

join