It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choking the Internet: How much longer will your favorite sites be on line?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Internet censorship. It did not happen overnight but slowly came to America's shores from testing grounds in China and the Middle East.

Global Research

Progressive and investigative journalist web site administrators are beginning to talk to each other about it, e-mail users are beginning to understand why their e-mail is being disrupted by it, major search engines appear to be complying with it, and the low to equal signal-to-noise ratio of legitimate e-mail and spam appears to be perpetuated by it.

In this case, "it," is what privacy and computer experts have long warned about: massive censorship of the web on a nationwide and global scale. For many years, the web has been heavily censored in countries around the world. That censorship continues at this very moment. Now it is happening right here in America. The agreement by the Congress to extend an enhanced Patriot Act for another four years will permit the political enforcers of the Bush administration, who use law enforcement as their proxies, to further clamp censorship controls on the web.

The warning signs for the crackdown on the web have been with us for over a decade. The Clipper chip controversy of the 90s, John Poindexter’s Total Information Awareness (TIA) system pushed in the aftermath of 9-11, backroom deals between the Federal government and the Internet service industry, and the Patriot Act have ushered in a new era of Internet censorship, something just half a decade ago computer programmers averred was impossible given the nature of the web. They were wrong, dead wrong.

With reports in the Swedish newspaper Svensa Dagbladet today that the United States has transmitted a Homeland Security Department "no fly" list of 80,000 suspected terrorists to airport authorities around the world, it is not unreasonable that a "no [or restricted] surfing/emailing" list has been transmitted to Internet Service Providers around the world. The systematic disruptions of web sites and email strongly suggests that such a list exists.

Google is systematically failing to list and link to articles that contain explosive information about the Bush administration, the war in Iraq, Al Qaeda, and U.S. political scandals. But Google is not alone in working closely to stifle Internet discourse. America On Line, Microsoft, Yahoo and others are slowly turning the Internet into an information superhighway dominated by barricades, toll booths, off-ramps that lead to dead ends, choke points, and security checks.

Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, and Cisco Systems have honed their skills at Internet censorship for years in places like China, Jordan, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Vietnam, and other countries. They have learned well. They will be the last to admit they have imported their censorship skills into the United States at the behest of the Bush regime. Last year, the Bush-Cheney campaign blocked international access to its web site—www.georgewbush.com—for unspecified "security reasons."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think it is only a Matter of time, that the Internet will become a Serious Battlefield, engulfed in the War for Information - because frankly, that's what the 21st Century Warfare is all about!

Let's just wait and see, what the Future brings...

While you are waiting, I suggest you check out the Documentary Orwell Rolls in His Grave.

Hope for the BEST and expect the WORST!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yes the end of the information age as we know it is at hand, the internet could have been the greatest exchange of information mankind has ever known, something that could literally change the world and we are going to sit back and let them take it. Don't think that they can't, here's a thread I have running on exactly how they are doing it...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This is called internet two i think, it would censor alot of things, such as government slandering, and even other sources of media..such as abovetopsecret.com, this is mainly because the government cant buy off the owners of this web site, which talks about whats really going on, if they did im sure we would all know about it, unlike main sources of media, such as tv news stations like fox and abc, they cant get this site to conform to their stories, so theyre just going to go to the root, theyre going to ban all sites like this so you only know what they want you to know, sad stuff huh?
and also, just recently, the same people stopping music downloads is also stopping tablature, guitarist is known the best for using tab, in fact, i even use tab, its easier than reading sheet music and easily available, but what ticks me off about this is the fact that tabbers arent stealing the music from the band, tabs belong to the person who wrote them, so in other words, if you sit down and listen to a song and try to play what they play, then your stealing their music, when in reality you just look up to that band and want to play music that they play, your not stealing anything, theres probably five ways to play one song, it doesnt have to be perfect, and most tab sites always say, this tab is not written by the band, but is written by the tabber, its the tabbers own personel opinion about the song and how its played, theyre not doing anything wrong, see the way i see it is, those tabs belong to the person who took the time to think out how this song sounds and how it might be played, not the band, the band didnt go to this dudes house and teach him, it isnt copywritten,
maybe tabbers should copyright their tabs so they legally belong to them

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   
hey they got the guns, but WE have the numbers guyz and gurlz

They will loose !

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Yes the end of the information age as we know it is at hand, the internet could have been the greatest exchange of information mankind has ever known, something that could literally change the world and we are going to sit back and let them take it. Don't think that they can't, here's a thread I have running on exactly how they are doing it...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But the Internet still IS the greatest exchange of information mankind has ever known - and that is what SCARES the people in Power who are eager to CONTROL that Information and Manipulate it to their Desires.

I truly Hope that the day never comes, that "they will take it away", my Friend - but as thing are Looking, the Battle for Cyberspace could get Nasty.

Especially since PNAC clearly states, that it is a Priority of the United States armed forces to control Space and CYBERSPACE - and Behold,
Air Force releases new mission statement: to fly and fight in Air, Space and Cyberspace

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There will always be ways around this as I've pointed out in several other posts. I could go into detail on the ways that it would be amazingly simple to circumvent such systems of control but I'm sure they fall under the term Hacking which is expressly forbidden in the TOC here even if it is in theory against an opressive goverment. Look at the ages of some of the computer criminals busted over the years, they look often like they came out of a highschool yearbook and yet they have the brains to bring down entire networks. Then theres the fact that we have the hardware and software out right now to begin forming large private networks that don't require the internet to function.

Something about this article bugs me, perhaps its the lack of technical detail in how this censorship is being put in place. Sure they can block stories on Google and other search engines, but untill they take a true policy of "block everything then open as necessary" in terms of ports and traffic on the internet then censorship online will fail miserably. Even then the ability to tunnel inside of permitted protocols will allow avenues of communication. Really I think its gotten too big for any kind of massive scale control given the level to which the internet is a part of american life. Sure if the government started out from the beginning with this goal they might have managed what China has, but they didn't start out like that because like usual they put it off as a fad that wouldnt go anywhere other than their private use.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
There will always be ways around this as I've pointed out in several other posts. I could go into detail on the ways that it would be amazingly simple to circumvent such systems of control but I'm sure they fall under the term Hacking which is expressly forbidden in the TOC here even if it is in theory against an opressive goverment. Look at the ages of some of the computer criminals busted over the years, they look often like they came out of a highschool yearbook and yet they have the brains to bring down entire networks. Then theres the fact that we have the hardware and software out right now to begin forming large private networks that don't require the internet to function.

First of all, thanks for your very informative Post!

Secondly, I think that the problem here is not in the hacking itself - but in censorship, such as removing sites from the Web. For example, lets say that the Censor Bureau finds my blog to be severley offensive and very anti-current-us-goverment and that stuff written into it, are not supposed to be public (yet they still somehow GET public, no matter how you turn it
) - and decide to close my blog down. They will always have my IP, my email and all my other data (as if they already don't) and even will keep monitoring them, until the next similar event.

And I was not exactly hacking into the mainframe computer of the Pentagon - just expression my own opinion. Stuff like that happened in France, when bloggers gave their support to the angry french youth (hey, whatever happened to them?) and police came and arrested those men, claiming they were supporting their anti-goverment actions.

Really I think its gotten too big for any kind of massive scale control given the level to which the internet is a part of american life.

I agree here 110%!

The Net has just become HUGE and to control such as immense web of information, you would require alot of people and money.

Unless - you make a MACHINE to hunt them...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed yet any sites that no longer show up in some search engines that did before?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
Has anyone noticed yet any sites that no longer show up in some search engines that did before?

Some of this (a great deal of it) is due to the search engines changing the ways they present things to you.

Now, it's not a vast conspiracy against information... but it IS a vast conspiracy against bizops and spammers. People with business websites (particularly the MLM clone sites) have problems with engine ranking on a regular basis, as complaints and reports hit the search engine company offices.

For example, I wanted to find an Infinity dealer in Dallas to have my car serviced. So I went into Google and typed "infinity dealer Dallas TX".
www.google.com...

If you click on that, you'll notice that there is not a single dealership listed on the first page (other than the two paid ads at the top of the page -- though there are "directories" that supposedly have dealerships listed).

The REAL websites don't start showing up until page 2, and at this time there's just one of them on that page (note: your search results WILL vary depending on a lot of factors.) People who want the dealer websites (instead of being redirected to directory sites that may direct you to Yet Another directory site...and you go through five or six web pages before you find a real dealer's website) may gripe to Google. If google finds this to be a reasonable gripe, they'll adjust their algorithmns accordingly.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Let them try. I am sure they will discover the errors of their ways when the population of the United States revolts and lynch mobs gather and herd together the sell outs of liberty/freedom. It will be so exciting!

- Attero

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Attero Auctorita]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Interesting how one can point a crooked finger at PNAC (not saying they might not deserve a finger in the face) but take little notice when the world's largest hater of freedom, the U.N., tried to hijack the internet and take control.

Perhaps there is an air of bias permeating the facility or did someone forget to strike a match?

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Having worked at an ISP, I can say that, at least up until 12/2004, there was no list of "do not browse" individuals distributed.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This isn't right. I don't know who all knows this, but the Internet was originally created by DARPA, & called the Darpanet, originally intended for Military bases to keep in touch via Encrypted secrecy.

It was an awful "conveiniant" coincidence, that computer hackers "broke through" all this Top Secret technology, & how it became a loss to the Military, & left to the Free World.

Yeah, right...if you believe the "innocent story", then I have Two Towers to sell you, they're in New York, & they're now invisible. Look rrreeeaaalll hard, & you might see them.

Just so you know, the Internet, is the backbone, of "The Beast" they talk about in the Bible.

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
Just so you know, the Internet, is the backbone, of "The Beast" they talk about in the Bible.

Yea, if you accept every story you read as undeniable truth.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
That is precisely what the UN proposed..to take over the internet capabilitys like a default setting. To run this with and to the blessings of the UN. What a sham..they cant even run the UN well.

Also this concept like New Orleans running thier own Internet service. It will be a sham too. It is another one of those things like the UN running things for the good of all. They soon will be running it into the ground. Whenever governments run things they mostly get run into the ground while costs skyrocket. Also ..governments tend to make you accept their services without competition meaning you are stuck with them. This is not true of private companys. If you arent satisfied with them you can change providers. I dont know what people pushing these ideas are thinking. It always looks good on paper ..but mostly government run anything turns out to be junk.

Also someone posted about the internet being easily monitored..this is true. The problem is that there is such a huge daily volume of internet traffic. It becomes somewhat difficult to monitor.
I also know that the telephone systems here in the USA have from its early days had government clauses for monitoring purposes..certain government agencys have the ability to work closely with the phone companys to get what they need...without public awareness. This is not a new occurence. It is just not publically spoken about or told to the general public.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Interesting how one can point a crooked finger at PNAC (not saying they might not deserve a finger in the face) but take little notice when the world's largest hater of freedom, the U.N., tried to hijack the internet and take control.

Errrr... They did?

I must have missed something.

You're right - the PNAC has NOTHING to do with that at all.

Have a Nice Day.

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
But the Internet still IS the greatest exchange of information mankind has ever known - and that is what SCARES the people in Power who are eager to CONTROL that Information and Manipulate it to their Desires.

LOL, it is also the biggest purveyor of BS the world has ever seen

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The reaction to this type of censorship will be simple: Real information will go underground.

Remember in Demolition Man, where Dennis Leary is leading the resistance from the sewers? That'll be where "online" truth resides in the future: underground. Looking at this world we have now, how can anyone believe otherwise? Free speech is over, plain and simple. I'd like to see anyone restore it without being silenced. No, the NWO beast moves slowly, but does not move backward.

In the old days, you'd just hook your modem up to your PC and distribute the phone number to your friends, who'd dial up your computer and disconnect after having left their messages on the computer, then the next guy would dial up. This was before IP and distributed networking became the Internet. It'll go back to this, and it will work just like it did for years before Internet. There are legacy methods of information distribution which are tried and true.

Assuming free speech and real content on the WWW will continue to decline from this point forward, it is certain that there will be schisms or what have you, where actual real content providers on the web, will react by taking their information private or by using blind drops, mirror sites (constantly changing, mirrored servers that are globally elusive) or by simply withdrawing from the Internet and using telnet or some other delivery means. The adminstrators of consent in America will try to choke the Internet but whatever stops are put in place, there will be ways to get around it and get the info you need to know, if you have the tech savvy to find it.

For centuries, Information was very hard for humans to get. We've been spoilt by having it delivered to us via high-speed lines. When this hypnotic, convenient and friendly window of peace passes, truth will return to the boxes in which it was locked away before Internet. As is the nature of humans, those boxes will be pried open by the people who can easily sidestep computer security.

[edit on 17-12-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Just a general observation:

In the U.S., control of information generally works affirmatively, not negatively. That is, the Powers That Be don't censor or suppress undesired information, rather, they get control of the biggest and most powerful metaphorical megaphones and drown out the truth in a vast, incessant storm of noise.

That's how it's done with the print and broadcast media. Voices not speaking network-speak are still out there, still speaking, but most people don't hear them or even know they're there.

I would expect something similar to be done w/r/t Internet communication, rather than actual censorship.

new topics

top topics

join