It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Passes Phone and Internet logging Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Well this definetely concerns me but I will not pass any judgement. Below you will find a link to the law itself so you can decide for yourself.

The necessity to have rules at EU level that guarantee the availability of traffic data
for anti-terrorism purposes across the 25 Member States was confirmed by the
European Council in its Declaration on combating terrorism of 25 March 2004.
Following the Madrid terrorist bombings, the European Council instructed the
Council to examine 'proposals for establishing rules on the retention of
communications traffic data by service providers' with a view to adoption in 2005.
The priority attached to adopting an appropriate legal instrument on this subject was
recently confirmed in the Conclusions of the European Council of 16 and 17 June, as
EN 3 EN
well as at the special JHA Council meeting of 13 July 2005 following the London
terrorist bombings.130

europa.eu.int...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well you could take the 'pure' civil liberties view and say it is an infringement of our civil rights.

or

You could say that it is an invaluable additional 'weapon' in the fight against terrorism were a more pressing and fundamental civil liberty is the one we are all supposed to have, namely a right to a life free from injury, death and terror.

To be honest making ISP's and mobile phone networks hang on to data for 12 mths (so that any conspirators involved, their associates and suppliers can be tracked down) is not something to be done or brought in lightly.

If it were to be abused then that would be very worrying.

But, then again, if it was genuinely able to stop a 9/11 or a 7/7 I have to admit, it would be very hard, to point of impossible IMO, to argue against.

join