It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Pentagon spying on Americans? YES!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Outrageous!! Our government and the Pentagon is wasting time and money monitoring and spying on Americans who are against the war, or military recruitment in our schools instead of spying on our real enemies like Iran, China and Saudi Arabia.

This is just the beginning of a big tumble downhill, everyday that goes by, will see more and more of our privacy and rights conveniently bypassed by our government with the excuse of fighting terrorism.

Now while I think this is crazy on the part of our government, I am not the least bit surprised. Most Americans, and namely most members of this site will probably agree that this has long been suspected by the conspiracy community, but dismissed at foil paper paranoia...until now.

Secret database obtained by NBC News tracks ‘suspicious’ domestic groups

WASHINGTON - A year ago, at a Quaker Meeting House in Lake Worth, Fla., a small group of activists met to plan a protest of military recruiting at local high schools. What they didn't know was that their meeting had come to the attention of the U.S. military.

A secret 400-page Defense Department document obtained by NBC News lists the Lake Worth meeting as a “threat” and one of more than 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the country over a recent 10-month period.

Please read the entire article, it's very informative and eye opening if you're an American.

I would suggest staying away from any large organized meetings if you want to stay off the radar.

[edit on 12-13-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wouldnt they be better served watching terrorists? I guess now we all fall under that category.

I wonder how many people they have at computers all across the world monitoring each and every word that gets posted...

Vigilantes, with no life. Probably volunteers unable to have normal lives because they are losers.

Too ugly sounding to work 900 numbers...
, too gross to be seen in public
...so they WATCH.

The war on terror is on us, not on what may be coming thru the borders...thats secondary.

I seriously think we will all be placed in camps.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
you're so right, mentioning the border makes this action by the Pentagon even more frustrating to me. We have open borders to the North and South and every year the Immigrant population both legal and mainly illegal continues to rapidly grow. But our government doesn't see that..

Instead of concentrating on "Al-Qaeda" and the real threats, American civil liberties are under scrutiny and we're the "targets" just because we may disagree with some policy of the moment.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Thats the exact reason I post the things I do on Yahoo...because they be watching

Funny thing is,,,i can spot them when they come to my school...they stand out like sore thumbs. Their car following behavior isnt the best either.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by magnito_student]

mod edit: do not circumvent the censors

[edit on 14-12-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hey, have you people forgotten the oath, to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. They are concerned not with peoples opinions, but rather with hostile activists who might gather a following and begin to create violence which then leads to larger groups which then possess internal government buyouts and then they could eventually try to cause an overthrow. The military is not stupid. The pentagon is not stupid. There are very bad people blending in with the anti-war crowd using people and recruiting them.

Get smart people. The pentagon is smarter than you. Theres 300 + million people in this country and they are watching 1500 and your scared, give me a break.

Train

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
Hey, have you people forgotten the oath, to protect this country from all enemies, foreign and domestic. They are concerned not with peoples opinions, but rather with hostile activists who might gather a following and begin to create violence which then leads to larger groups which then possess internal government buyouts and then they could eventually try to cause an overthrow. The military is not stupid. The pentagon is not stupid. There are very bad people blending in with the anti-war crowd using people and recruiting them.

Get smart people. The pentagon is smarter than you. Theres 300 + million people in this country and they are watching 1500 and your scared, give me a break.

Train

Trust me, the military is very stupid. How they managed to pull off 911 and get most of the planet to believe 19 arab highjackers did it simply because they hate our freedoms is beyond me. I find the more educational titles people hold(MBA, BS, PhD, etc) the more likely they are to believe the official story.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I wish people would read before commenting. If you took the time to read the article or even the paragraph, you would see that number of 1500 is relating to incidents not people.
Please read the full 3 pages of the article before formulating an opinion and making a comment.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by magnito_student
Trust me, the military is very stupid. How they managed to pull off 911 and get most of the planet to believe 19 arab highjackers did it simply because they hate our freedoms is beyond me. I find the more educational titles people hold(MBA, BS, PhD, etc) the more likely they are to believe the official story.

Do you realize how massively you just contradicted yourself?

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zoso28

Do you realize how massively you just contradicted yourself?

Yes I do....the military would have to be very smart to pull off 911 and convince most of the planet that 19 arab highjackers did it all , especially the college educated. sometimes paradigms are contradictory

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Dec. 13, 2005 (relatively new report)

Isn’t the ACLU taking this into concern? Although, if they were to do anything it would very difficult to gain any evidence that could take out a massive governmental structure such as this.

Our right are being diminished, “I think Americans should be concerned that the military, in fact, has reached too far,” says NBC News military analyst Bill Arkin.

This is illegal is it not? It’s not the first time, but now the media exposes this evidence of an illegal government. Strange to say.

“We have noted increased communication… between protest groups using the internet” (From Video) And now with new law, the gov. can search anyone anywhere not using a (mobile) internet service (non laptop), and track them to there home.

-QUOTE-
The public was outraged and a lengthy congressional investigation followed that revealed that the military had conducted investigations on at least 100,000 American citizens. Pyle got more than 100 military agents to testify that they had been ordered to spy on U.S. citizens — many of them anti-war protestors and civil rights advocates. In the wake of the investigations, Pyle helped Congress write a law placing new limits on military spying inside the U.S.

But Pyle, now a professor at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts, says some of the information in the database suggests the military may be dangerously close to repeating its past mistakes.
-UNQUOTE-

And now with 9/11 and increasing Terrorist activity/ Anti-War demonstrations, there is also likely to be an extreme increase in DoD Investigating on civilians.

It seems as though the DoD’s ‘CIFA’ is illegally bribing information from corporations who control much of the personal information, by “awarding grants”. (33.mill in grants).

I still didn’t understand how the media came into contact with this information.

DoD:
msnbcmedia.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Their car following behavior isnt the best either.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by magnito_student]
true, true...

And then there's always the car parked down the street.....
I stop and think, lets see, what did i post recently that would....Nah!

Peering thru the curtains as i post my dislike for the fairies at the White House...

Coming home and asking my husband "Anyone come'?

Thats what they want, paranoid citizens.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I saw this on the NBC Nightly News and it didn’t really concern me, I still have yet to see any documents showing me what they are doing is illegal. Controversial, maybe, but that's about it. There are groups undermining our military in more ways then one, keeping tabs on them is smart IMO. People have in the past taken refuge under the constitution while committing attacks against the US military and government. Oh and by the way, I don't fear being put into camps, and neither should you

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If you're doing something you don't want the government to know about, you ought to learn to be very careful about your activities. If these groups have nothing to hide, why should they care. The painful truth is that our domestic enemies use such groups as fronts for their activities and they should be monitored. I see no reason why anyone can't attend their meetings and whatnot, whether they be government employees or not. If these groups demand such privacy, then perhaps they should be careful how they advertise.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i didnt think it was illegal anymore with the patriot act. they can get away with doing it since 90% of the population are morons too wrapped up in their social lives to notice. so they will. just waiting till they take it too far and everyone looks out there window and goes "hey hes arresting my neighbor" and for secret reasons as well. then people will wake up. probably too late by then

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
What if you held a, say, bible study at your house, and 20 people showed up, then there's a bang at your door. Some one (in black) wanting to know what you are doing..Would that upset you?

I think it would. The truth is we do not have the freedom we were used to.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, in the unlikely event that I was to hold a bible-study group in my home and someone wearing black knocked on my door and asked me what I was doing, I would invite that person in and inform that person as to what was doing.

Now, if I was holding some other type of meeting in my home under the false pretenses of a bible-study group, I'd be nervous and mad as hell.

[edit on 2005/12/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I think it would. The truth is we do not have the freedom we were used to.

Oh yeah, let me tell you, my bible study sessions are really suffering from my lack of freedom
Truth is, I can still do everything I could before 9/11.

Also, I would like to point out that you are going from a database of Intel to people knocking on your door and making arrests. That I believe is know as assumption.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The point is that we are being watched. Lets watch the borders, lets check the cargo under airplanes (what a joke), lets secure the country before we get too concerned with whats happening at XYZ's house.

Now, if the country was "secured" then i could see concentrating the efforts on the citizens- after all, we have our nuts all over the place in this country. But start someplace where it makes sense.

Its like grabbing a broom and sweeping from the center of the room.

[edit on 13-12-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I don't think it's an "either/or" proposition. They are all important and each requires diligence. We can't afford to just let an area go just because some other areas need work.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think I watch too many movies, but I would hate to be the scapegoat for something just because I attended a rally or protest or am part of an organization openly against some govt policy.

This is not about I should only worry if I'm doing something wrong. In my mind, having a meeting about why there is heavy military recruiting going on at my child's school is not wrong, therefore I should not be spied on. What if I was only there to hear the issue and didn't choose to join, why should the government be entitled now to run my plates, check my credit, etc, etc, etc??? Where do you draw the line, in the quest to end terrorism.. I mean extremism?

While some of you might think of me as a lefty liberal or some other label, I can tell you I would be for this, if Spying on US was necessary and a priority in the grand scheme of things, I would be all for it. I'm for stricter border control and immigration policies and I support the death penalty, hell I supported this war when I thought Saddam had these WMDS ready to reach the American shores. I do see the big the picture, I know and realize that terrorism and extremism does need to be curbed all around the world, BUT we're going about it the wrong way.

Our government shouldn't be wasting OUR money to spy on US. We had 9/11 and I can say that the majority of the Americans and the world's populace would have supported our actions and did support them when we went after Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. BUT something went wrong and that's when I had to get off of the ride, it is being proven over and over again that we the American people were wrong, we were decieved whether intentionally or not, (you judge) and now we've lost sight of the real problem. Instead of focusing on Bin Laden and the real Al-Qaeda (which is basically in Iran and Saudi Arabia) we're chasing the one legged wonder. Terrorism is no where closer to being eradicated, instead there are daily bombings in Iraq and we've become so immune to them that we don't even cover them here in ATS anymore, it's like we don't even want to hear it or have to hear it, we expect it, know it and accept it.

And not only are we losing brave Americans and killing innocent civilians, now we're starting to lose the very rights that those guys are dying to defend for us. I rather anyday that an American dies on American soil than in a foreign land.

btw I'm sorry for this rant of sorts, but I've been quiet for a while, observing life while living it and the past few weeks have left me very apprehensive for the upcoming year and our country's future path. Our government has failed us, we don't practice what we preach. I'm sure you're all aware of the recent headlines, our secret jails, the prison abuse in Iraq, not to mention the issues of the rest of the world.

I have to stop now before i get myself all worked up. But AAHHHHHHHHH, it's never going to end, it's only going to get worse, and not enough people will wake up in time, aaahhhhhhhh!!!!

I feel better now

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join